why is Cozumel so popular? Bad experience or just over rated expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive sites are dynamic, and change daily. I've seen areas that are devoid of everything, and have buddies say it's the worst boring place ever. Only to find a couple days later, shark, rays and everything else in the world. If you want a predictable dive, aquariums are a start. Keep in mind, when we see articles of dive areas, the pictures are not taken from one dive or site. Usually a compilation of the best, and for obvious reasons people think that's what you'll see every dive.

The more water movement, the better chance of seeing the bigger fish. Most fishermen/women will usually agree. The Gulf Stream comes to mind, as does Palau.

Safe travels

The more water movement, the better chance of seeing the bigger fish. Most fishermen/women will usually agree. The Gulf Stream comes to mind, as does Palau.

Safe travels

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I guess I just assumed they weren't as overfished as in Grand Cayman (or they took a lot of steroids!).

Why does more water movement mean larger fish? (Not doubting you, just curious since this is new info to me.) Or am I just SEEING the larger fish more because I'm seeing more fish in general?

Well....I will say that I vastly, vastly prefer Cozumel over Bonaire. Still, we have been in Cozumel 28 times, and while the diving is just as great as ever, I'll admit that on the last couple of trips I didn't feel as safe as I used to walking around town.

Well....I will say that I vastly, vastly prefer Cozumel over Bonaire. Still, we have been in Cozumel 28 times, and while the diving is just as great as ever, I'll admit that on the last couple of trips I didn't feel as safe as I used to walking around town.

Why is that? I have always felt safe there and nothing has happened to make me feel any differently.

Why is that? I have always felt safe there and nothing has happened to make me feel any differently.

The only time I don't feel safe is when all those drunken, arrogant cruise tourists are coming to town.

Other than that, I feel totally fine walking alone on street, even at night.

We didn't used to get so many offers of drugs and hookers, at least not as persistently. On the last trip, it got to the point where I was hesitating to go out post-dive. I'm a big (weightlifter) guy but it was enough to make me nervous.

We didn't used to get so many offers of drugs and hookers, at least not as persistently. On the last trip, it got to the point where I was hesitating to go out post-dive. I'm a big (weightlifter) guy but it was enough to make me nervous.

Interesting to learn this. Where at island did this happen?

I was in Cozumel this May as a single diver for two weeks, and of course, I ate out almost every night. I was never hustled by any drug dealers or hookers. Maybe a middle age man with a fat belly is not an attractive target to them.

I, however, did see a drunken couple argue loudly with police in town center.

The only time I don't feel safe is when all those drunken, arrogant cruise tourists are coming to town.

Other than that, I feel totally fine walking alone on street, even at night.

You've had awfully bad luck ---with those cruise ships.....I've never witnessed many "drunken' tourist @ 9 AM.....:)---ie any where(place)..

EDIT:.see you were there in May...Maybe,......this is when all the alcoholics sail????

I have never been approached by a hooker on the island, but once when I went into town alone wearing a tie-die Grateful Dead Tshirt... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom