Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll ask my question a different way.

After discovering diving very recently, what moment triggered the idea that to become a better diver you need to become a DM? The moment could be defined as reading a course manual, watching a video, admiring an employee’s skills, listening to a dive brief, etc.

Many of us have tried to explain with a variety of perspectives. I suspect over time you’ll come to have a broader understanding.
What's I don't understand is that in my experience so far (not a lot I admit, I have been with about 5 different dive shops so far) I've always found instructors that were really helpful, giving a tips etc - why would that change when doing DMT? Will they not still help you improve?

My reasoning why my diving would improve while doing DMT is simply that I would get to dive a lot, amongst learning all the other things.

Yesh
@Isa.nerwen

In my efforts to answer your question with some critical thinking, I want to make sure you don’t think I’ve lost sight of your enthusiasm.

I wholeheartedly support your desire to become a better diver. The joy that each one of us feels when discovering a whole new domain to be explored is magical.

I think many of us just want to make sure you’re aware of ALL the paths for growth that are available to you.

For now, every time you go out, have a plan to improve a skill. A useful rubric is:

- Buoyancy control
- Trim
- Swimming / finning / propulsion (same thing, just synonyms)
- Breathing
- Awareness (self, surface & subsurface environment, other divers, sea life, vessel and its crew, shore facilities and distance)

Good luck, have fun and keep us posted!
Yes, I appreciate that! I got so many recommendations that I honestly don't know what to loop up anymore lol.
For now I will look into intro to tech diving before deciding if I want to to the DMT or not.

I really think tech diving is super interesting. I will look into intro to tech before deciding to do dive master, because I also do want to improve my diving skills.
You do not need to become a technical diver by any means, just do an intro course at some point and thats it :)

Doesnt need to be tomorrow. Some people might argue the earlier the better, but it probably doesnt really matter when. Go diving, have a blast, and after a 100/200/300 or so dives try a tech course once you feel that you are comfortable in the water so you can challenge yourself with more skills

I think the fact that I was surprised to see a DM with a good back kick on this last trip says something about the training you can anticipate.

You do not need to become a technical diver by any means, just do an intro course at some point and thats it :)

Doesnt need to be tomorrow. Some people might argue the earlier the better, but it probably doesnt really matter when. Go diving, have a blast, and after a 100/200/300 or so dives try a tech course once you feel that you are comfortable in the water so you can challenge yourself with more skills

I think intro to tech might be interesting, definitely not further as I really need more experience to do that.
But going deeper is a thing that really interests me so in the future I might wery well try.

My reasoning why my diving would improve while doing DMT is simply that I would get to dive a lot, amongst learning all the other things.

This is the main reason I went "pro". I saw it as a way to get to spend more time in the water, which to me is the best way to improve diving skills. In my case I was doing it with my LDS - so part of my reason for doing it was to help them out - I knew that it wasn't going to be a career change, and a quick glance at the course materials makes it clear that there's nothing really being taught that directly improves my diving. It did improve my situational awareness, and as a by-product it got me to take Rescue and First-aid, which are things everyone should have, but the DM/Divecon/AI path was a motivating factor for me.

If it meets your needs and you're confident that the risk vs reward is favorable to you, then go for it!

I think intro to tech might be interesting, definitely not further as I really need more experience to do that.
But going deeper is a thing that really interests me so in the future I might wery well try.
I am one of those who would argue that the earlier you do an introductory tech course, the better it is :)

Essentially, if you do it late you will have to unlearn your bad habits (everyone has them), and only after you can really learn new stuff. In my experience, the unlearning process is VERY painful (my personal experience). Most instructors agree with me - not all of them.

What's I don't understand is that in my experience so far (not a lot I admit, I have been with about 5 different dive shops so far) I've always found instructors that were really helpful, giving a tips etc - why would that change when doing DMT? Will they not still help you improve?
It probably won't. But one thing is to get tips and tricks, another one is a structured approach to learning new stuff. Are you looking for tips and tricks, or to learn new skills with some well-defined expectations?

I say go for it. I did it even at the age of 60! That and Assistant Instructor. I did it because I have been an instructor much of my adult life and feel like I can give more to the field of diving and making it enjoyable for all those that are just getting into it. There is ZERO monetary reason for me as I volunteer with my LDS, but I love it as much as I love diving.

At least in this country:
1) you pay for the DM course (and get your plastic card while learning nothing)
2) you pay for insurance
3) you assume a significant duty of care and liability for baby divers
4) you get paid in "free air" and "shop discounts" for spending YOUR time helping out someone else's business.

It's all bullsheet

BTW I also started a tech course but just could not get on with the twinset. I am small bodied and they were so cumbersome and I couldn't get the right attitude in the water (legs kept floating up), and it really hurt my neck. I would breath in and ascend then breath out and sink ha ha. My instructor was really good but it was just "not for me". The single tank works well in most environments unless shipwrecks or caves, or very deep. The theory however was great and I still enjoy reading the manual and digesting the information. Mostof the interesting stuff that I have seen is between 15 to 20 meters where you can stay for an hour and see loads and have a great time. Why go to 40 meters where you can spend 3 minutes???
Try sidemount if you don't get on with a twinset, much more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom