Why is becoming a DM considered not worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isa.nerwen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
- I want to become a better diver and I want to challenge myself and learn more
- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time

I've read a lot about liability and people saying that even if you are inactive DM you could potentially be more subject to legal problems.
But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?

Your opinion is welcome, thank you! :)

I would say go for it. DM is a great experience, and will make you a more rounded diver whether you go on to use it professionally or not.

Don't expect to come out ahead financially but there are other rewards beyond money.

I would suggest looking for a shop where DMIT is more or an internship as you get a lot more out of that structure. I really enjoy working with students so if you like that look for a shop with regular classes.

I would say go for it. DM is a great experience, and will make you a more rounded diver whether you go on to use it professionally or not.

Don't expect to come out ahead financially but there are other rewards beyond money.

I would suggest looking for a shop where DMIT is more or an internship as you get a lot more out of that structure. I really enjoy working with students so if you like that look for a ship with regular classes.
Thank you :) I don't care about the money, as I said I am currently travelling long term and I would spend the same amount travelling for 2 months!

Hello!
I just recently fell in love with diving, like I've never liked anything in my life before, and I was thinking about getting my DM.
I know the reasons to do it change if from person to person but I'm wondering why so many people say doing the DM if you don't plan to work is useless.
Because it isn't designed to improve your skills. The course is designed to make you a pro, period. However, as usual, good instructor trainers could make a difference.

If your goal is to improve your diving, after rescue the best option is likely tech diving, starting from introductory courses (fundie/essential/intro/whatever you like) if your basic skills are not top notch yet.

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet.
Cool! I would love to do it but can't

I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:
See above: the DM course is not designed to improve your skills. If that's your goal, tech diving is a better path.

- I want to spend a few months diving and volunteering at a dive shop. I do not exclude the idea of actually working in the field if I love it so much after the course, I am open and right now I don't know where life will take me
If being a DM is what you need to do this, just do it :)

- I've got prices from a few places I've been diving at and doing the DM course is significantly cheaper (like half the cost) than just doing fun dives for the same amount of time
Good, but really unrelated to becoming a better diver

But apart from that, especially as it works out cheaper this way, why is everyone so against it?
Because it isn't a course to improve your diving

In your case, it seems you need it. Go for it :)

Only if you want to first improve your skills, consider an introductory tech course, before or during the DM.

Lastly, be aware of the cheap courses: ensure the quality is very high.

Good luck!

Because it isn't designed to improve your skills. The course is designed to make you a pro, period. However, as usual, good instructor trainers could make a difference.

If your goal is to improve your diving, after rescue the best option is likely tech diving, starting from introductory courses (fundie/essential/intro/whatever you like) if your basic skills are not top notch yet.

Cool! I would love to do it but can't

See above: the DM course is not designed to improve your skills. If that's your goal, tech diving is a better path.

If being a DM is what you need to do this, just do it :)

Good, but really unrelated to becoming a better diver

Because it isn't a course to improve your diving

In your case, it seems you need it. Go for it :)

Only if you want to first improve your skills, consider an introductory tech course, before or during the DM.

Lastly, be aware of the cheap courses: ensure the quality is very high.

Good luck!
Thank you for the comment!
I mean becoming a DM will improve my diving because I will get to dive more, but I also don't mind the labour and I'd like to be able to get better at navigation (I suck at it, that's why I want a challenge haha).
I also just want to spend some time diving and working.

But the consideration about tech dive is very interesting. I love to go deep and I really want to go deeper and I know it's only possible with tech diving, although I don't know much - going deeper than 40m is not recreational anymore right?
I will look more into it.

Regarding cheap courses - it's simply cheaper because I'm in SEA and it's cheaper here, but in general I think paying for 2 dives a day for 2 months works out as mote expensive than the course.

There's potential for a bad car analogy here, I think. Say you really like driving. Becoming a DM is a little like getting a taxi license. You're now a professional driver. It doesn't qualify you for driving a rally, and may or may not be fulfilling in the long run. You'll certainly get better at handling customers.

Just do it. It is a fun course, you learn a lot, practice and experience.

If you have the time and funding is not a problem, I can't see a reason why not to. Consider it as a treat to yourself.

Then, if you still got the time and no funding problems, I'd consider tech diving and instructor even if you don't plan a career of it. Because it is fun and you learn a lot.

And, it will improve you diving. You will dive a lot, and with supervision of a good instructor you'll definitely improve. It is not the same as having the same amount of fun dives.

Just do it. It is a fun course, you learn a lot, practice and experience.

If you have the time and funding is not a problem, I can't see a reason why not to. Consider it as a treat to yourself.

Then, if you still got the time and no funding problems, I'd consider tech diving and instructor even if you don't plan a career of it. Because it is fun and you learn a lot.

And, it will improve you diving. You will dive a lot, and with supervision of a good instructor you'll definitely improve. It is not the same as having the same amount of fun dives.
Yeah, it's something I want to for to live that life for a little bit, probably before going back to normal life.
I will also look info tech diving because I'm really interested in going deeper but I have no idea how that works yet, I haven't dug into it yet!

Thank you for the comment!
I mean becoming a DM will improve my diving because I will get to dive more, but I also don't mind the labour and I'd like to be able to get better at navigation (I suck at it, that's why I want a challenge haha).
I also just want to spend some time diving and working.
Your question was something like "Why people are usually against it?"

The answer is partially in your answer. You don't improve your diving because of the course, you improve it because of diving - but you could dive anyway without taking the course :)

About navigation - same thing, it's about diving more, not about becoming a DM.

Take the course if you have a good reason to take it - and apparently, you do have one.

PS I considered so many times becoming a DM too; my idea is to take the course with a serious diving center to learn how to manage people, so in case I travel and I have an inexperienced insta-buddy I am prepared. However, this is too much of a weak reason because it happens so rarely

But the consideration about tech dive is very interesting. I love to go deep and I really want to go deeper and I know it's only possible with tech diving, although I don't know much - going deeper than 40m is not recreational anymore right?
I will look more into it.
Tech diving is not necessarily about depth. Some challenging overhead environments have an average depth of less than 30ft/10m. And, trust me, they could be damn more challenging than diving to 50/60m.

About the limits, don't look too much at industry standards - it is wiser to look at what you know, what your skills are, and what you are comfortable doing.

{Edit: SERIOUSLY, introductory tech courses BEFORE DM (or during). These courses are about bringing basic skills to a different level, which is quite important before becoming a DM; I can't say how many DMs I have seen with sub-optimal skills. They won't kill you (most likely), but it's just not optimal. If you are top-notch, you don't care about these courses, just go for the DM. If you are not top-notch yet - just do an introductory tech course as the next step}

Regarding cheap courses - it's simply cheaper because I'm in SEA and it's cheaper here, but in general I think paying for 2 dives a day for 2 months works out as mote expensive than the course.
Fine, just ensure the diving center is a very high-quality one :)

Hello!

My position is that I quit my job to travel last year and I am not ready to go back to normal life yet. I am considering doing DM for the following reasons:

Hi Isa,

Normally for someone with a U.K. location I’d suggest going for BSAC Dive Leader (DM equivalent as both meet EN 14153-3/ISO 24801-3 - 'Dive Leader'). However, you say your in SEA, then my recommendation to look at is DJL on Koh Tao, Thailand as not only do they teach basic courses, but open circuit and rebreather technical skills as well. Koh Tao also has relatively cheap accommodation for DM trainees. Tim Lawrence the owner is from London.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom