Why I won't dive with you.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankc420:
I feel like you can tell just by talking to people before the dive whether or not it's going to be a enjoyable dive.

We could do volumes on this alone.

Its rare I get on a boat or roll up the the shore alone these days, so most of my "insta-buddy" days are behind me now. But there is nothing more important than the buddy interview if you're faced with being doubled up with a stranger.

I had a whole litany of questions and stuff I'd ask about, including the gear review section of our program.

Thankfully, most of those days are gone. I have an excellent sphere of SoCal dive buddys that just rock.

---
Ken

rottielover:
"Jam" is going to be different situations, gear failure, entaglement, etc. so It's hard to argue that somone that's 100 lbs. overweight could NEVER get you out of a "jam", it all depends on the situation and thier fitness level. Now if that same diver were even 20 pounds OVERWEIGHTED (lead not fat) I can see that argument clearly. Just because somone is FAT does NOT mean that they have a Zero fitness level. (Watch monday night football if you need an example!)

Fat divers of the world UNITE! LOL

AMEN!!! I love your choice of words, and your open mind!

I may be fat, but I'm at least fit! I doubt many people have the stamina that I have, and I don't like to be judged by how I look.

Wanna go divin?

erparamedic:
Well... glad to know... I'll stay away from you then. Just cause one is "fluffy" doesn't mean they aren't skilled. How do you know if someone is obese/overweight, or morbidly obese?? Do you check the size of their wetsuit before they dive? Just curious.

I am (by all the charts) morbidly obese. However, I'm not a "stroke". I swim 40+ (lose count around 40) laps in the pool 3x a week. I have an incredibly active job (my SB name says it all). I eat healthy. I don't have high cholesterol, no heart disease, no lung disease, no diabetes, not a smoker or a drinker, etc, etc, etc. I've tried everything to lose weight, and it just doesn't happen.

I am a safe diver, plan carefully, follow the plan, don't push the limits, and stay with my buddy, etc. If you are that closed minded about diving with an obese person, I'd be happy NOT to dive with you.

I am skeptical that a morbidly obese person cannot lose excess weight. I am not saying it is impossible, but I would think that proper exercise combined with proper diet would get you there. But loosing weight usually involves a lifestyle change that some feel is not worth the benefits. I rarely change the way I eat, but will increase or decrease exercise as required to maintain my 185 lbs at 6'.

And I do not think anyone has posted that an obese diver cannot be skilled, the concerns are whether they could handle that large a diver in an emergency. I would have the same concern about a young teen or preteen ability to handle an adult diver. And while you have described yourself as a very 'fit' morbidly obese person, I would think as an ER paramedic you would realize that you are the rare exception among the morbidly obese.

My... how to put this... dive in a style most removed from what I consider enjoyable... was with an insta-buddy. Any bottom time is better than nothing, so I agreed to do a shallow dive around the periphery of the site, with the plan being to dive right around the thermocline and continue around clockwise.

I felt like a stubborn mule as I was virtually dragged around the site. I much prefer taking my time and just meandering, but I kept up with my buddy and still managed to look at a few things as we flew by. Thankfully the visibility was good enough that I was able to stay almost constant at 25 feet down as my buddy dropped toward 40' or bobbed almost to the surface. Every once in a while, he did stop and look around until he saw me waving my light from above or below, so he wasn't a darn-the-buddies-full-speed-ahead diver, but it felt quite a bit too much like a solo dive plus diver-sitting. (I wouldn't have minded solo diving there, had it been permitted, but it wasn't very comfortable having to keep an eye out for an buddy-turned-solo diver whose skills I do not know.)

Short form: I actually don't mind diving with a "loose buddy" *if* I know them and consider them qualified and equipped for solo diving the site, but if you don't fit that bill *and* work out the plan before the dive, you may not end up diving with me again. (And if a potential "loose buddy" doesn't consider me qualified and equipped for the site, I will not argue.)

Gentlemen, start your engines...

:deadhorse:

Mods: this thread will circle the drain in 5... 4... 3...

I'm currently ~190 at 5'9" to 5'10".
In high school several years ago I managed to go from 187.5 to 160, by cutting my food intake by 1/2 to 2/3rds and running cross country.

I realized that if you STOP eating so much, you don't think about eating as much...kinda weird. I wouldn't eat all day, go to cross country practice, have a snack afterwards, and eat dinner. Wasn't hungry during the day at all...

Unfortunately I had a slight running incident during my very last race (rolled an ankle pretty bad) so I haven't done a lot of running since and I've obviously put on weight. Guess it's time to start running again...

erparamedic:
Wanna go divin?

Sure thing! Let me know if you ever make it over to Mermet Springs (Southern IL near Paducah KY), My wife and I try to make it down there to get wet all thru the spring-summer-fall. Thought this year we're severly limited on funds due to some unexpected home repairs :(

Anyway I think that's all I'm trying to get across, is to keep an open mind, don't judge anyone based on appearance's alone, you'll get yourself severely burned that way some day.

Oh come now, posting a silly little animation doesn't not negate you from responding.

rottielover:
Anyway I think that's all I'm trying to get across, is to keep an open mind, don't judge anyone based on appearance's alone, you'll get yourself severely burned that way some day.

You really reduce the chances of getting burned on a dive if you select healthier buddies. You can't argue with that. C'mon.

"keep an open mind" is code for what, dive with anyone regardless of their fitness, safety, or dive objectives? Please.

While I can't look at someone and instantly know if they'll be a good buddy, I can look at someone and instantly know if they'll be a high risk buddy. Its that simple. And diving with someone who is 100+ pounds above their ideal weight puts them, and me at a higher risk on this dive. I choose to pass.

My mind is quite open. I simply won't compromise on my three no-dive principals.

---
Ken

NadMat:
I am skeptical that a morbidly obese person cannot lose excess weight. I am not saying it is impossible, but I would think that proper exercise combined with proper diet would get you there. But loosing weight usually involves a lifestyle change that some feel is not worth the benefits. I rarely change the way I eat, but will increase or decrease exercise as required to maintain my 185 lbs at 6'.

And I do not think anyone has posted that an obese diver cannot be skilled, the concerns are whether they could handle that large a diver in an emergency. I would have the same concern about a young teen or preteen ability to handle an adult diver. And while you have described yourself as a very 'fit' morbidly obese person, I would think as an ER paramedic you would realize that you are the rare exception among the morbidly obese.

With swimming, healthy eating, and portion control, I've only been able to drop about 25 lbs.... and haven't been able to drop any more weight. Losing weight is not easy, by any stretch. I even checked out the bariatric surgery (though it's dangerous) and insurance declined to pay for it because I didn't have enough risk factors... frankly, I didn't/don't have any risk factors except the weight.

As the "rare exception" (as you say) to obese divers, I've never appreciated being judged by how I look. I'm incredibly active, very strong (mind and body), and high stamina. Believe me, I'm not "happy" to be fat... but for goodness sake, give a person a chance.

I could be the one saving your butt someday.... then would you dive with me? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom