Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leaving the condescension out of it, I just want to reiterate: any kind of “bend”, including “skin bends” are not normal, and should not be accepted as part of diving. There are lots of us who have done hundreds or even thousands of dives, without any kind of symptoms. And that includes multiple times a day for multiple days; crazy deep with lots of deco; aggressive computer settings; etc…

if you are having any kind of identifiable DCS symptoms, I would suggest two things: one, talk to DAN immediately. Two, figure out what might have contributed to cause them, and change it.

And if your profiles are well within a reputable computer’s profile, talk to DAN and see if you can find a doctor who specializes in scuba medicine. You may have some underlying medical condition, such as a PFO, that may be contributing to your situation.

But don’t just ignore it, or accept it, or think that it happens to everybody, or label it as a “undeserved hit“ and move on. It doesn’t just happen to anyone. And you can probably avoid it, too.

OK, i’ll climb off my soapbox now. :) To make it as clear as I can, I am in no way looking down on the original poster or anyone else. I just want to encourage people to not ignore even “small” symptoms. There are actual things that can be done.
Nothing condescending.
You should had directed this to "OP". He/she had experienced it before and that was the reply #42.

Oops. When you dare to suggest that Cozumel is anything but a perfect diving paradise with the best food on the planet and the friendliest humans alive, you place yourself at serious risk of being beaten online until you fess up and admit otherwise. (At least you dived a Shearwater so you cannot be faulted for that).

Oops. When you dare to suggest that Cozumel is anything but a perfect diving paradise with the best food on the planet and the friendliest humans alive, you place yourself at serious risk of being beaten online until you fess up and admit otherwise. (At least you dived a Shearwater so you cannot be faulted for that).
Hyperbole aside, you cannot expect that when someone posts a negative experience on a dedicated forum there will not be responses from people who see things differently. I didn't see where the OP was "beaten" by anyone except maybe in the beginning where the owner of the dive op had her mistaken for someone else, and then he immediately acknowledged his mistake and deleted his earlier posts. Cozumel is what it is, and those of us who have been there a lot know what to expect. That it's not everyone's cuppa is not surprising, and it's OK.

To the OP: I'm sorry your trip to Cozumel didn't work out the way you wanted, and I hope your next trip, wherever it is, turns out much more to your liking.

But doesn't have a clue about it's, or any other, algorithm.

That includes 99.999999999999% of all dive computer owners. (The remainder are the SB regulars). Never had any health issues before. Should they have changed to a more conservative setting prior?

That includes 99.999999999999% of all dive computer owners. (The remainder are the SB regulars). Never had any health issues before. Should they have changed to a more conservative setting prior?

The OP did mention that she had been bent previously. So yeah, after being bent twice while following the guidelines, maybe thinking about more conservative settings is a good idea. Or at least, talk to a health professional to see if there are any health issues that make DCS more likely, and whether they recommend anything that can be done to improve outcomes in the future.

@living4experiences thanks for sharing your experience, I'm glad to hear that you are home safe, and hope that your wrist heals quickly.

Likely they speak no English at all.

My friend's experience was quite different - they funneled her and her husband to English speaking staff. There was no language barrier at all (her husband speaks Spanish, but in deference to her, the patient, they spoke in English). Hmmm.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. Prior to Covid, I typically spent 6 months of the year in Cozumel. My doctor there speaks perfect English and answers his own phone when I call him. Usually I can see him within minutes of calling him. I have only been hospitalized once in Coz...after I fell off a ladder trying to replace a light bulb, knocking myself unconscious and shattering my arm. When I came to (in shock) I called the owner of the dive op I use. He came over, immediately called an ambulance that arrived in moments and the next thing I remember is someone in the ER cutting my clothes off. My care was excellent, kind, and everyone spoke to me in English. My room looked more like a hotel than a hospital. Eventually, I had them give me a temporary cast, and a handful of painkillers and I got on a plane back to Canada for 3 surgeries and a year of rehab. Some things about Coz hospitals are certainly different from what we are used to. Two examples that I know of: They don't supply food. You need to bring your own or have them order for you (added to your bill). If you need blood, you need to recruit friends to donate. So, be ready for differences from what you are used to.

Sorry that you had a bad experience. Prior to Covid, I typically spent 6 months of the year in Cozumel. My doctor there speaks perfect English and answers his own phone when I call him. Usually I can see him within minutes of calling him. I have only been hospitalized once in Coz...after I fell off a ladder trying to replace a light bulb, knocking myself unconscious and shattering my arm. When I came to (in shock) I called the owner of the dive op I use. He came over, immediately called an ambulance that arrived in moments and the next thing I remember is someone in the ER cutting my clothes off. My care was excellent, kind, and everyone spoke to me in English. My room looked more like a hotel than a hospital. Eventually, I had them give me a temporary cast, and a handful of painkillers and I got on a plane back to Canada for 3 surgeries and a year of rehab. Some things about Coz hospitals are certainly different from what we are used to. Two examples that I know of: They don't supply food. You need to bring your own or have them order for you (added to your bill). If you need blood, you need to recruit friends to donate. So, be ready for differences from what you are used to.
I never knew this about Coz hospitals. Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to have my ambulance stop by In' N Out burger on the way to the ER...

Sorry to read your unfortunate experience @living4experiences. What NITROX percentage were you diving? We dive with Tres Pelicanos (3P) and have a choice of 32% or 36%. Typically I dive 32% on the first (deeper) dive and 36% on the second, but if MOD is not an issue just dive 36%. Looks like the default gradient factor setting for the Shearwater Peregrine is medium conservatism with the Bühlmann ZHL-16C algorithm. You may consider changing your GF from 40/85 to high conservatism of 35/75.
@living4experiences I am sure I will regret this later :wink: but Soloist is right. If you have a recurrent issue with skin bends one of the recommendations is to dive more conservatively and with your computer that would mean changing the GF from medium to high conservatism (conversely the setting decreases). Set it to 35/75.

For recreational diving it is that second number that is important. Diving with nitrox is helpful but only if you also decrease your NDL. Diving nitrox to NDL is little better than diving air to that same endpoint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom