Why HOG Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iztok

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I've started my DM training (first classroom session) and we had a discussion on why diving certain gear. Especially in light of LDS I am taking the training from is not LDS I got my gear from (for the most part) and they might not even carry some of the things I have (some they are at least dealer but don't have in-stock - like Edge/HOG).

So question was asked. If student diver asks you why are you diving HOG instead of what LDS sells, what would you answer?

Well the easy way out is that I bought gear before I started DM training with LDS. This is fine as it gives a good out from the situation.

However this brought me to thinking.

Why HOG regs vs. anything else?

For me (not knowing much about regs really):

1. It was good price.
2. Heard "good things" (tm) from people on SB and an instructor (who also happened to work for that LDS that I bought HOG from but now works for LDS I am training through - but he is not my instructor) and a couple of other divers.

I personally think that they breath well and while they don't have certain features of my Atomic Z2x I like the ease of breathing. I like the fact that they don't come pre-packaged with hose etc.

I also like the open attitude of the manufacturer towards self maintenance (provided one is qualified and trained).

So why HOG in your opinion?

Chris, especially for you, what makes HOG good or above the rest in your opinion?

Perhaps this is to broad but ...

Well I've started my DM training (first classroom session) and we had a discussion on why diving certain gear. Especially in light of LDS I am taking the training from is not LDS I got my gear from (for the most part) and they might not even carry some of the things I have (some they are at least dealer but don't have in-stock - like Edge/HOG).

So question was asked. If student diver asks you why are you diving HOG instead of what LDS sells, what would you answer?

Well the easy way out is that I bought gear before I started DM training with LDS. This is fine as it gives a good out from the situation.

However this brought me to thinking.

Why HOG regs vs. anything else?

For me (not knowing much about regs really):

1. It was good price.
2. Heard "good things" (tm) from people on SB and an instructor (who also happened to work for that LDS that I bought HOG from but now works for LDS I am training through - but he is not my instructor) and a couple of other divers.

I personally think that they breath well and while they don't have certain features of my Atomic Z2x I like the ease of breathing. I like the fact that they don't come pre-packaged with hose etc.

I also like the open attitude of the manufacturer towards self maintenance (provided one is qualified and trained).

So why HOG in your opinion?

Chris, especially for you, what makes HOG good or above the rest in your opinion?

Perhaps this is to broad but ...

My personal criteria when I bring a product to market goes something along these lines

a/ What do I like diving, why and what would I improve?
b/ Can i bring the product to market and offer the best value for the dollar in the marketplace?
c/ will the product meet my standards for both performance and durability?
d/ is there a market? If not can I create a market?(the answer to the second is normally no...think quickshot!:wink:)

I'm not shooting to be "the brand" for everybody, I want to be the brand for people in the know, ones that are discerning of quality without getting caught up in pretense.

All of that said, if you are going to DM/Instruct for a shop, it is the professional thing to wear and use gear they sell. It is professional of them to make sure you can do so. That means providing you gear to use or allowing you to purchase at the very best possible price.

My personal criteria when I bring a product to market goes something along these lines

a/ What do I like diving, why and what would I improve?
b/ Can i bring the product to market and offer the best value for the dollar in the marketplace?
c/ will the product meet my standards for both performance and durability?
d/ is there a market? If not can I create a market?(the answer to the second is normally no...think quickshot!:wink:)

I'm not shooting to be "the brand" for everybody, I want to be the brand for people in the know, ones that are discerning of quality without getting caught up in pretense.

All of that said, if you are going to DM/Instruct for a shop, it is the professional thing to wear and use gear they sell. It is professional of them to make sure you can do so. That means providing you gear to use or allowing you to purchase at the very best possible price.

That was a classy post...

Thanks for the answer! As one stated it is classy indeed!

Just have to answer to the above. Yes I agree with that and we had this conversation and (luckily) they are also Edge/Hog dealer as well as offering to dive in their rental gear (to minimize cost). So we are good. When I was looking for instructor/shop I was looking for one that will increase my dive knowledge and experience and share same type of common sense.

I get the business part. I just want to see the non business (technical etc.) part of "why hog" :)

bang for buck, reliability

So how does a lowly diver with little experience and sway at an LDS go about getting an LDS in his/her area to officially carry HOG gear? I am a big proponent of buy locally, so it would be awesome to get a shop around here to supply the regs, etc.

So how does a lowly diver with little experience and sway at an LDS go about getting an LDS in his/her area to officially carry HOG gear? I am a big proponent of buy locally, so it would be awesome to get a shop around here to supply the regs, etc.

ask them to.

many are tied in with their brands(booking orders to get good buying prices) they carry or worried about the min opening order. I don't tie up their money or beat them up with min opening orders. All I request is they give an honest effort to sell the brand.

I am an EDGE-HOG dealer. In fact one of the more active ones and I work with EDGE-HOG very closely. The HOG regulators are outstanding, and they provide excellent performance for the price even if they were twice the price. For recreational diving you may not find a lot of differences between HOG, DiveRite, ScubaPro, some Apeks and Aqualung regs. They breathe well and are very easy for a qualified technician to service.

Now back to your DM / LDS question.

If you are to be a DM under a particular dive operation you should be wearing and using the equipment that is sold under that roof. A progressive LDS will either provide you the gear to use or make that equipment available to you at a reasonable price ONCE you are committed to being a DM in that operation. Just earning a DM rating does not qualify you for the industry discounts.

What does that mean ? It means that as you progress with a particular dive operation you will be provided the perks that come with the jobs. It can be anything from free dive charters, discounted trip prices, opportunities to get "Key-man" deals when available from manufacturers as well as a whole lot of goodies that just come with the job. But that takes some time and a bit of loyalty.

The DM is the first line between the student/ diver, and the instructor and the LDS. Taking care of DM's is important. Professional dive operation owners know this.

I've been training divers for more than 20 years. When I was a DM I wore the shop brands whenever I was working with students. My personal technical gear may have been different. Even today owning a large dive operation and having access to most any gear in the world I want. I dive the "company brands" however I can because of my on-going testing with other manufacturers wear other items while I am evaluating them. I get that luxury at my stage of the game, you may not as a "grasshopper" just getting started. I also don't wear the most popular dive computers we sell. I prefer to use my Cochran units (we sell a lot of them too) but mostly for tech divers.

Before you run out and get some new gear have a nice long discussion with your LDS and find out what is expected of a working DM and over time what perks come with it. If you are just doing the training there and dont expect to work there in any manner, then use the gear you want and don't sweat it.

HOG regs and other gear are great. They are not for every dealer, but most should have no problem in acquiring the line.

Good Luck

JDS

I feel like wearing the company sold brands is being dishonest. While I cannot respond as an instructor, as a student I look to my instructors for honest opinions and direction, and I think by buying only what the LDS sells you are keeping your students from being fully informed.

If you can't give unbiased opinions about gear, regardless of what you sell, and have a discussion about pros and cons with a student Im not sure you should be an instructor. IMHO it destroys the honest relationship that should be formed between instructor and student. Now, if a shop wants to give you uber discounts, and you HONESTLY love the gear and use if yourself, then that is different. BUT, if you use the gear ONLY because your shop sells it, you are just a marketing tool and not truly dedicated to your student.

Im sure this will get some people upset, but this is a personal opinion of a student, so please understand my bias as well.

Please don't turn this thread into "what LDS sells" thing. My long explanation was more of a background. I was more looking for "why HOG?" answers that either confirm or improve or dispel my reasoning for it.

The LDS I am training with for DM has a good approach (don't force me to buy their things). But on the other hand I respect their business and I take what they sell into consideration. I know they are Edge/HOG dealer (albeit not too active one) and it would hearten me if this would change and help all involved (LDS, Edge/HOG and me).

LDS is fair (in my opinion) in pricing aspect as it is right now. They are trying to build somewhat "dive friends who happen to buy there" type of relationship and this is what I like.

I don't know perhaps it is my "grasshopper" thing that I am enthusiastic with HOG gear (not tech yet but together with DM it is direction I am heading) that I want to share with LDS. I don't know :)

Anyhow, I really appreciate the responsiveness of the vendor on this forum and that is a huge plus for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom