Why don't most brands sell service parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the opinion of most dive shops is that they don’t want to do anything to damage their relationship with a manufacturer, so if the policy is that parts are not to be sold to the general public then they follow that rule.
Agreed, but if the dive shop don't care about the service business, and that the policy is made In order to give them service business; then what is the point?
Are not those policy out dated and just stay in place for no good rational?

Agreed, but if the dive shop don't care about the service business, and that the policy is made In order to give them service business; then what is the point?
I get the impression from my LDSs is that they care about every dollar they can make.

They don’t want to be cut off from being able to sell gear from the manufacturer. It’s not about just the service business, it’s about the whole business.
You have to understand just how oppressive some of those companies can be. You slip up just a little and they go soup nazi on you, “No more gear for you!!!”

They don’t want to be cut off from being able to sell gear from the manufacturer. It’s not about just the service business, it’s about the whole business.
You have to understand just how oppressive some of those companies can be. You slip up just a little and they go soup nazi on you, “No more gear for you!!!”
Its more of a “no more discount for you”

Its more of a “no more discount for you”
You mean they get promoted to full retail customer. Lol

Can someone explain to me why a reg manufacturer would care who services their regs?

My understanding is that there are five sources of revenue for dive shops:
1. Equipment sales
2. Equipment servicing
3. Cylinder fills
4. Training (okay, loss leader for most stuck in the pre internet days)
5. Travel

I see shops scraping the barrel for any possible revenue. Even if servicing breaks even or is hardly profitable, it gets people in the shop, so it appears to me that it is in the interest of the shop that consumers don't get to service regs themselves.

Unfortunately the low profits of dive shops results in poorly paid techs who don't really care, hence my experience with multiple shops screwing up my Apeks and Scubapro regs.

It isn't rocket science but it is important to be meticulous. People have to care to be meticulous.

If I'm wrong, please explain why/how.

My understanding is that there are five sources of revenue for dive shops:
1. Equipment sales
2. Equipment servicing
3. Cylinder fills
4. Training (okay, loss leader for most stuck in the pre internet days)
5. Travel

For most numbers 3, 4, and 5 are 'loss leaders'. Many shops don't charge enough for fills, and are happy getting a free spot on a trip when they arrange a group travel trip, so its break even for them.

Can someone explain to me why a reg manufacturer would care who services their regs?

Unfortunately the low profits of dive shops results in poorly paid techs who don't really care, hence my experience with multiple shops screwing up my Apeks and Scubapro regs.

It isn't rocket science but it is important to be meticulous. People have to care to be meticulous.

If I'm wrong, please explain why/how.
That is a legitimate question -- especially in light of how widespread inept maintenance has become. The sheer number of accounts of regulators failing upon their annual overhaul, usually while on a pricey trip, are legion on SB.

Provided that he or she has some proper tools; a modicum of mechanical ability; an attention span greater than that of a budgie, they could do no worse than those supposed "techs" who have routinely sent out regulators without proper IP adjustment; or in some cases, even missing parts, such as the accounts of missing exhalation diaphragms.

Years back, during a move and without sufficient time to service my own gear (as I had for years), I had a local shop, with a decent reputation, overhaul three regulators, to the tune of several hundred dollars. All three were way off, not even close -- including two torn diaphragms, one after the other; rampant free-flows from a FFM; and IPs off the charts. How they ever allowed that gear to leave the bench was beyond me. I eventually browbeat them into a full refund and to supply me with the necessary service kits, gratis, so I could correct what they had done, during the course of one afternoon.

Never again.

Scubapro and Apeks are just among the last hold-outs of that model of manufacturer, who jealously guard service kits; and if you once told me, that Poseidon would, one day, eventually sell their service kits on the open market, I'd be asking you what you were smoking and not sharing. That only took the Swedes sixty years.

Independents such as @rsingler, to their great credit, offer exhaustive courses on regulator theory, overhaul and maintenance, which far outstrip any manufacturer's courses at the local Sheraton, over stale coffee and danish.

My last physical manufacturer's refresher course, by way of comparison, had us disassemble and reassemble a few pre-loosened regulators; but there was never a requirement to tune anything in front of an instructor; or to even verify our work, at all -- only a brief demonstration of adjustment techniques on a portable bench via an overhead projector . . .

Nowadays, when asked what regs should be bought, I always recommend dgx.

I'm at a small scale of course, but keeping the availability of spare parts a important point when buying a regs might move the needle.

Back
Top Bottom