Why don't most brands sell service parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shop in Seattle has been trying to get parts for my regs from the manufacturer for almost two months now. For me, that indicates i would be better off ordering my own parts kits when I can get them so that i will have them net time I need service.

The further i go in diving the less respect I have for LDSs.
Which manufacturer?

You may want to mail your regs to Octopus Gardens in Port Townsend, but call them first to make sure they have the service kits for whatever regs you have.
I called OG, they do not service SEAC brand. Underwater Adventures claims they do until you get to the store and then they deny it. Lighthouse claims to be an authorized service center, but can't seem to actually get parts. My other option is someplace in Georgia who claims to work on them.

I called OG, they do not service SEAC brand. Underwater Adventures claims they do until you get to the store and then they deny it. Lighthouse claims to be an authorized service center, but can't seem to actually get parts. My other option is someplace in Georgia who claims to work on them.
Good Lord! Maybe JBLM Scuba? From Store Locator - Seac: (it shouldn't be this hard)
1660774254922.png

Thanks for that! With my schedule I don't have a day off to go run them around until the first of the month anyway, so I will give Lighthouse until then and if not go try JBLM.

Or maybe get my EDL and go to Vancouver...
Mailing is a good option, especially with the price of gas. Just one trip to the post office, and then it winds up on your door sometime later. Just make sure that timelines are understood.

Interesting... Is that really worth it? I mean is it a significant money maker for the dive shops?
When I worked dive shops as a teenager, regulator overhauls were about the least desirable, least profitable activity to be had; were frequently labor intensive, since most everyone back then, barely rinsed the damn things. The lowest guy on the totem was often tasked with the work, removing surface corrosion with hempocid and a spent toothbrush.

There was an initial evaluation of a regulator (a simple bench test) upon arrival; a disassembly of the stages; ultrasonic cleaning; rinsing / drying; reassembly with new parts; a second bench test and final tuning. If further issues occurred (an unstable IP, a bad seat, etc), there was a second round of disassembly / reassembly; and if the tech was worth his salt, that equipment didn't leave the bench until it met or exceeded the manufacturer's specs.

On a troublesome regulator (what Vance Harlow once referred to as "possessed" in his classic regulator book) -- and I saw a few of those over the years -- that could prove to be hours. There was also the "idle" time spent with the regulators, sitting under pressure, often overnight, to verify a stable IP, before any release.

Classes and new gear -- later, travel -- were where the money was to be had -- seldom the maintenance of that very gear that they sold . . .

When I worked dive shops as a teenager, regulator overhauls were about the least desirable, least profitable activity to be had; were frequently labor intensive, since most everyone back then, barely rinsed the damn things. The lowest guy on the totem was often tasked with the work, removing surface corrosion with hempocid and a spent toothbrush.

There was an initial evaluation of a regulator (a simple bench test) upon arrival; a disassembly of the stages; ultrasonic cleaning; rinsing / drying; reassembly with new parts; a second bench test and final tuning. If further issues occurred (an unstable IP, a bad seat, etc), there was a second round of disassembly / reassembly; and if the tech was worth his salt, that equipment didn't leave the bench until it met or exceeded the manufacturer's specs.

On a troublesome regulator (what Vance Harlow once referred to as "possessed" in his classic regulator book -- and I saw a few of those over the years -- that could prove to be hours. There was also the "idle" time spent with the regulators, sitting under pressure, often overnight, to verify a stable IP, before any release.

Classes and new gear -- later, travel -- were where the money was to be had -- seldom the maintenance of that very gear that they sold . . .
isn't that why dive shops tend to pay peanuts? Of course this results in a lot of monkeys.

Classes and new gear -- later, travel -- were where the money was to be had -- seldom the maintenance of that very gear that they sold .
That was my understanding as well, which is why i was not thinking that this business would have been worth the trouble of keeping a tight control over spare parts...

If asked I wonder what would be the opinion of the average local dive shop

That was my understanding as well, which is why i was not thinking that this business would have been worth the trouble of keeping a tight control over spare parts...

If asked I wonder what would be the opinion of the average local dive shop
I think the opinion of most dive shops is that they don’t want to do anything to damage their relationship with a manufacturer, so if the policy is that parts are not to be sold to the general public then they follow that rule.

I think the opinion of most dive shops is that they don’t want to do anything to damage their relationship with a manufacturer, so if the policy is that parts are not to be sold to the general public then they follow that rule.
Trouble I had was getting Dacor regulators serviced when they were going to not be in business anymore. Thinks Mares bought them up maybe long ago. Then anyway parts for service hand end of support nearing or already ended. The government had some old regulators like mine and were given priority by shop. Finally I got my regulators serviced with the scarce parts. I wished to buy service kit not to do future servicing by me. I would just bring it back to the same shop. Nope. My regulators are dinosaurs I guess and bought US Divers brand. I can hope I keep them serviced for year to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom