Why don't more dive shops display more (any?) BP/Ws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it can be explained purely in terms of market share.

I am right now on the Leisure Trend Dynamic Report cube, where I can search retail sales in categories and brands for this year and past years.

I can tell you that backplates and wings make up considerably LESS THAN 1% of the entire market of buoyancy vests sold so far this year in the United States. For an opportunity of part of that 1% of the market, they buyers are fairly brand and model specific in their wants. So, of an aggregate average dive shop that can sell 100 buoyancy devices in a year, they can expect (if sales are completely random) to sell about 1 plate, harness, and wing kit.

Given that dollars available to invest in inventory are small for most stores, and given that most of them have NEVER had a customer walk in and ask for a BP/W set-up, I think it can be expected that they will not invest their money in that inventory.

Now, for shops that have a specific customer base, the plan is completely different. But those types of shops are less likely to be seen.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Just purely from a business point of view.

What is the typical profit margin for a backplate wing and harness vs a traditional jacket BC?
What sells better?

How many times will the BP/W turn over vs a jacket BC.

Traditional BC's are supported by national advertising in virtually ever Scuba Magazine and publication. This means, I as the LDS, do not have to advertise them, thus lowering my inventory costs.

These sorts of questions point to the real reason BP/Wings are not sold in most of your local dive shops. It has nothing to do with the dive ability or quality, and everything to due with economics.

I am right now on the Leisure Trend Dynamic Report cube, where I can search retail sales in categories and brands for this year and past years.

I can tell you that backplates and wings make up considerably LESS THAN 1% of the entire market of buoyancy vests sold so far this year in the United States. For an opportunity of part of that 1% of the market, they buyers are fairly brand and model specific in their wants. So, of an aggregate average dive shop that can sell 100 buoyancy devices in a year, they can expect (if sales are completely random) to sell about 1 plate, harness, and wing kit.

Hey, that's an answer-and-a-half!

Thanks!

Terry

Speaking of markets Phil, how big in terms of dollars is the scuba equipment market in the US?

I think it can be explained purely in terms of market share.

Given that dollars available to invest in inventory are small for most stores, and given that most of them have NEVER had a customer walk in and ask for a BP/W set-up, I think it can be expected that they will not invest their money in that inventory.

Now, for shops that have a specific customer base, the plan is completely different. But those types of shops are less likely to be seen.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

There is, I believe, another factor.

When a potential customer comes into a shop to purchase equipment, a sales person will assist and give advice.

Now, let me digress a little and tell a story that I learned in my education background. Years ago a number of teachers were asked to have their students participate in a study. The teachers read word-for-word from a script that told students that the teacher would show them pictures of people they did not know. Students were to use whatever clues they could discern from the pictures and then rate the people on how successful they thought these people were in life. The students could supply their own criteria for this--teachers could not say anything that was not in the script.

When the teachers were trained to do the project, the researchers added a BTW--they told the teachers how students had selected in the past, and suggested that their students would probably do the same. And they did--in all the classes the students generally selected as the teachers were told they would.

The problem is that each teacher had been told something different. Somehow, without saying an unscripted word, the teachers' biased expectations were communicated to the students.​

Back to the sales person giving assistance. A good salesperson will try to give an objected description of pros and cons, but the tendency will be for the customer to go with the subliminally-communicated bias. Other sales people will simply state their preference outright--subliminal messaging unnecessary.

So, if your sales team does not have a decent percentage of BP/W enthusiasts, you are not likely to sell many BP/Ws. If you don't see them, you won't carry them.

To secure the rights to sell Big Brand Name regs the shop are forced to carry most or all of the goods the Regulator maker offers.
I predict that this coercive business model is entering it's last inning, as there is too many regulators chasing too few divers. The power will shift to dealers and consumers and away from the BIG BRAND NAMES.

Tobin

With that right to sell BIG stuff, comes a strong national advertising program.

The only way the BP/W will make into the mainstream of diving is for BIG to start advertising them at the same or greater level that the traditional jacket BC are advertises.

Smaller, specialized manufacturing companies like DSS would have a uphill battle should ScubaPro, AquaLung or other BIG name began a strong advertising program targeting this market. They may get a bump for a while but eventually, should that campaign be successful, they would lose some of the market share they enjoy today.

Back to the sales person giving assistance. A good salesperson will try to give an objected description of pros and cons, but the tendency will be for the customer to go with the subliminally-communicated bias. Other sales people will simply state their preference outright--subliminal messaging unnecessary.

So, if your sales team does not have a decent percentage of BP/W enthusiasts, you are not likely to sell many BP/Ws. If you don't see them, you won't carry them.

You are completely correct, and I can't imagine that any THINKING person would expect anything different. After all, a sales persons job is to sell what his or her organization makes....no matter what the product is.

Back to scuba, the responsibility of the manufacturers who want to advance the retail sales of bp/w units is to make it attractive to scuba store to stock the product, either through advertising or other means.

Phil Ellis

This depends on how the salesperson is compensated for the sale.

If the salesperson is paid $50 for each traditional BC they sell and $20 for each BP/W they sell, they would not try to sell the BP/W unless it was clear the customer had their heart set on getting the BP/W.

Speaking of markets Phil, how big in terms of dollars is the scuba equipment market in the US?

2009 year to date (as of August 30, 2009)

Dive Equipment - $199,695,400
Dive Suits - $40,553,712
Dive Apparel - $3,003,907
Dive Services including Travel and Instruction - $194,684,667

Total Dive Industry at Professional Retail YTD2009 - $437,937,685

There is no retail tracking of private instruction revenue or direct-booked travel revenue.

Oh, year to date, the industry is down from the previous YTD figures by about 10%. Remember, this is comparing this year to a previously bad, down year.

Phil Ellis

This depends on how the salesperson is compensated for the sale.

If the salesperson is paid $50 for each traditional BC they sell and $20 for each BP/W they sell, they would not try to sell the BP/W unless it was clear the customer had their heart set on getting the BP/W.

I would not argue that. However, my employees are not paid on commission at all. They make the same salary if they sell nothing. I don't know how others do it.

Additional Note: All of the scuba people I personally know and all that have ever worked for me DO NOT gauge their sales recommendations on the highest gross dollar possible for the sale. I don't doubt that there are people who do that. However, I think most would evaluate the customer and attempt to sell them what they need. Now, many might not agree with the sales persons evaluation of what the customer needs, but that is an issue beyond this discussion.

Phil Ellis

Back
Top Bottom