Why dont many SCUBA divers use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snorkel use... I haven't taken that specialty yet :wink:

But with a more honest answer, I use it if I know I will be doing a long surface swim (I realized the benefits of that last time I went out) and if I am in a location where the surface may get choppy than I figure I will use it then as well. I have a very limited number of dives so I am still figuring out when I like to use vs when I do not like to use a snorkel. It simply depends on the location for me.

Ok.. I'm prepared for the "bashing" that such an online forum can bring.. but seriously.. I'm really wondering why now a days.. I observe that many scuba divers decide to not wear a snorkel while SCUBA diving.

I'm curious to what the "logic" to this trend is.

You'd think that the dive shop instructors would "push" the idea of using a snorkel.. if all else to sell snorkels.

I'm from the old school and have made 1000's of dives in various locals.. and can understand the desire to not wear a snorkel when doing perhaps a wreck or cave penetration. That reason makes sense.

But for the "routine" normal open water dive, be it from a boat or beach.. I see much more potential and benefit of having a snorkel than going without.

Personally I dont believe that the snorkel contributes any significant amount of "drag"... if it does my guess is that it is miniscule when compared to my drysuit, wings, tanks, camera, etc.. and all the other garb that I wear. I have never had any issues with entanglement with kelp or fishing line while wearing a snorkel.

Some examples of why I wear a snorkel:

It allows me to much easier swim face down in the water, it allows the natural bouyancy of the water to support my head in the water instead of my trying to hold my head out of the water to breath.

It allows me to conserve air while swimming off a beach dive site to an offshore decent point. I can swim a bit of the traverse on the surface, get to deeper water then decend instead of decending immediately near the shore.

I use it when waiting for my buddy(s) after jumping in from a dive boat... I simply put the snorkel in the mouth.. and patiently wait.

For those rare times when diving from dive boats and at the end of the dive while waiting to get picked up by a "live boat"... when the seas are choppy.. I find its much easier and comfortable to keep water out of the mouth using a snorkel. When diving from an anchored boat, I've seen many many times when myself or other divers surface low on air, down current, and will have to snorkel back to the anchored boat against a current. This can be a lot of work. Often, the divers without snorkels attempt this swim face up on their back.. and many times will stray off course... I find it easier to keep an eye on the boat if I'm facing it and face down in the water.

Do they even teach snorkel use and skills any more in basic scuba courses?

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here.. but looking for some well explained reasons for this trend. Thanks.

Mike, you're from Seattle. Seriously ... how much do you see when you snorkel in Puget Sound?

Snorkels are great for snorkeling ... I always bring one when I go on vacation in some place where I can use it. But for diving? It's just not needed.

I'm aware of all the arguments ... most don't apply to diving in the manner and conditions I dive in. I'm of the philosophy that if you don't need it, don't bring it.

FWIW - certainly snorkeling skills are still taught. I find a purpose in teaching them, as it helps students develop a better comfort in the water and learn some basic skills prior to getting into scuba gear. But once they've completed class, whether or not they feel it benefits them is really a personal decision. I don't "push" it except as required by the standards of the agency I teach for.

And as an independent instructor, I don't need to push them for the sake of gear sales ... personally, I recommend to my students that unless they choose it as a preference, the expensive "dry" snorkels with all the fancy purge valves and bonnets are a waste of good money ... a simple J-snorkel is all you'll ever need. And you can do some things with a J-snorkel that you can't do with the fancy ones ... like self-don a back-zip drysuit ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

IMO Alot of people like to look like tech divers (65 lbs wings on single tanks) with a plain black mask, I think it's a bit of the "cool" factor.

I can assure you that anybody using a 65-lb singles wing isn't looking like a tech diver ... at least not like any tech diver I've ever met.

And what's wrong with a black mask? How does that impact snorkel use?

Was that an attempt to troll? :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And what's wrong with a black mask?

Yea, black masks have their place especially in photography. I MUCH prefer a black mask because it cuts out glare...

Looks like you need to get some Texta onto yours.

Looks like you need to get some Texta onto yours.

That's my old mask :wink: I have a new one now. But I did put duct tape around the sides of my old purple mask before buying the new one to see if I preferred it dark :)

Yea, black masks have their place especially in photography. I MUCH prefer a black mask because it cuts out glare...
HA! I prefer clear because it lets in more light. Then again my photography stinks so:idk:

I am a proponent of having a snorkel while diving. How else am I going to entertain myself underwater?

SnorkelFight.jpg

Do you realize your 1st stage reg is upside down in that pic?

I can assure you that anybody using a 65-lb singles wing isn't looking like a tech diver ... at least not like any tech diver I've ever met.

And what's wrong with a black mask? How does that impact snorkel use?

Was that an attempt to troll? :no:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No trolling. Black masks are swell-I have one, and a pink one, and a blue one. And several snorkels. I have been made fun of by a 65# wing single tank, black mask, no snorkel wannabie-tech diver for using pink stuff and worse a snorkel.... :rofl3:

who the hell invented the snorkel anyway?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom