Why does everyone say the snorkel is useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iruka:
On another beach dive, when I want to go really deep, I don't want to submerge until I hit the "wall" so I don't waste air, but there's nice coral & such along the way, so I'll use the snorkel in that situation....

Exactly when I use my snorkel as well...

JAG

Scuba_Jenny:
PS, yes, I know my avatar has a snorkel in it...but it was painted before I knew any better LOL

... and there is a conspicuously large snorkel in the picture on your personal profile! Time to update...

Rick Murchison:
Your question presupposes a falsehood - your experience must be extremely limited (to those who "seem to say that the snorkel... is a useless item.")

Your statement presupposes a falsehood as well. My level of experience or inexperience is wholly irrelevant to the question asked. :06:

In saying "every one" I was implying, though apparently not as obvious as I thought, that almost everyone here at SB seems to say they are not necessary. This thread has, as I had hoped, produced some other opinions. :crafty:

As for it being a teaching component, I am certain you are correct. But noteworthy is that in the June and July issues of Sport Diver I couldn'y find any photos of people using/wearing one.

I am certain you are correct. But noteworthy is that in the June and July issues of Sport Diver I couldn'y find any photos of people using/wearing one.

Now there is something to take to the bank....................

I used to be in the same camp as the no-snorklers. I retried it this past weekend and on long surface swims, it's so much more enjoyable looking down than swimming on your back. I also swim faster facing down. In essence I'm a snorkler on the way out to and back from the drop down spot. On boat dives, I'll leave it behind.

ShakaZulu:
The only place a snorkel could be usefull is as a "Mouth to Snorkel" device during rescue breathing, but even that has lost it's appeal since most snorkels now have contraptions to stop water coming in, and valves to get water out. So, really, the only use for it, is to beat your buddy over the head if he does something stupid.

Not so ... snorkels can be used very effectively by drysuit divers ... particularly those with a shoulder entry. Simply loop the mouthpiece through the zipper pull, reach behind your head, and undo your own zipper! No buddy required.

This technique comes in handy after a dive, when you REALLY gotta go to the bathroom ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

garyfotodiver:
What does one do if one must ditch one's BC while still in the water? Bob?

Gee, I dunno ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:D

Rick Murchison:
")
Last time I checked it was the policy and the teaching of every open water training agency that the snorkel was not only useful but a required piece of equipment.

Rick

Not correct. Its not compulsory here (bsac). There are pool snokelling lessons before the dive training begins but thats it then, its not required to be worn in the pool or on any open water dives what so ever. For once they got something right imho :)

In my limited experience I have found it useful to "snorkel" back to the boat after a dive, especially in strong current. After all, don't you create less drag on the surface in the "snorkeling" position than swimming backwards? I also don't want to rely on having enough gas left when the surface conditions have changed and what you thought would be a short, leisurely swim has turned into an aerobic workout. In the quarries I just lay back so we can swim back and chat about the dive along the way. It is obvious that in some advanced types of diving that having a snorkel attached to your mask can be an actual danger. Just my humble opinions.

Pugsly55:
In my limited experience I have found it useful to "snorkel" back to the boat after a dive, especially in strong current. After all, don't you create less drag on the surface in the "snorkeling" position than swimming backwards? I also don't want to rely on having enough gas left when the surface conditions have changed and what you thought would be a short, leisurely swim has turned into an aerobic workout. In the quarries I just lay back so we can swim back and chat about the dive along the way. It is obvious that in some advanced types of diving that having a snorkel attached to your mask can be an actual danger. Just my humble opinions.
On a surface swim i would find being on my back easier and faster. When actually "swimming" in a pool doing laps it is quicker the other way and the kicks are shorter and more rapid, thus you dont move much outside the plane of your body. Whilst going back to a boat or the shore in dive gear (particularly in a current as others have stated) i would think the extra power of your kick whilst on your back would be of greater value than the small increase in drag of your gear. The flutter kick stroke can use a lot of leg movement lifting your leg above your centerline to push it back down and create the thrust, this is possible when you are on your back, but you will be air kicking if you are on your front - thus you cant get the same strength kick IMO. I am not advocating putting your leg outside the streamline of your body when diving (mostly i frog kick anyway), but on the surface i wouldnt care less about that little bit extra in the flutter-like, almost scissor kick - which you couldnt do as effectively on your front with a snorkel in your mouth. On your front your kick would be shorter and shallower - thus less powerful or fast with fins on.

If i am looking for a site or the boat, i will swim out on my back, roll over every few minutes to take a peek at the bottom (if i can see it, by taking a breath and holding it for the few seconds my head is under the water) or look over my shoulder once in a while to see where the boat is - absolutely no problem. I would rather this temporary thing and have my face out of the water most of the time (for other reasons like boat traffic avoidance/observation, keeping with the group/buddy, checking on landmarks to get direction from - or take bearing off of etc) than have to find somewhere in my pocket for something i dont need and doesnt help my diving or getting to my dive sites.

For those who come up with a huge amount of air in their tank, think about your breathing rate, how much gas will you really use on the surface whilst kicking in higher seas?? In my case, a worst case may be 0.8cuft/min really going at the kicking - that is about 30 psi/min, to take you from 800 down to 500 would be a 10 min kick along - really isnt that much. If you are just in swell waiting for a boat (as the current is too strong - like in SE FL) then you might count on twice that time using your reg for the same air consumed. Even if you pass below that magic 500 psi mark, who is really going to care?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom