Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, once I had to breath from it during an air share, and hated it (during SCUBA classes). It had a lot of resistance, the currogated hose was too short that every time I moved my head it wanted to dislodge from my mouth, and was just uncomfortable.

One of my earliest unsupervised dives the hose was having great difficulty staying connected such that I just left it disconnected (and did oral inflation as necessary) but ended donating in an OOA situation and had to buddy-breath where we took turns on the primary regulator becuase I was unable to breathe off the AIR2 due to it being disconnected. The victim wasn't in panic so it worked out, but I've dealt with panic'd divers before and that wouldn't work well.

The next dive after that I started using an OCTO. I have dive partners that love their AIR2 and my, I hated it. Different strokes for different folks. These days I'm in DIR mode and use a bungied backup and love that even more.

Well if you are doing an emergency ascent I would think you are vertical,not swimming around horizontally.

That assumption is correct... if you're diving an Air2.

If however, you're diving a 7' hose, there's no reason to break trim while doing an ascent. Further, there's no real reason that the ascent needs to be "an emergency" but rather merely "a nuisance ascent."

I have dive partners that love their AIR2 and my, I hated it. Different strokes for different folks. These days I'm in DIR mode and use a bungied backup and love that even more.

he-is-an-irony-little-guy.jpg

:cool2:

As far as I could ever tell, the only benefit of the Air2 is the elimination of one LP hose. If streamlining is the principal concern, why in the world would the diver be in a jacket BCD (significant drag vs. BP/wing) in the first place??? :headscratch:

Yeah, the "streamlining" concept would hold up for me... if it wasn't typically invoked by someone who is otherwise configured like a Christmas tree.

Further, there's no real reason that the ascent needs to be "an emergency" but rather merely "a nuisance ascent."

The same can be said about that same ascent using an Air2 as your octo, couldn't it? Not as easy, but definitely no emergency.

One less hose is a result. What advantage does one less hose give you? If less hoses is good, should everybody choose a wetsuit over a drysuit whenever either is an option?

@ RJP / Irony: :rofl3:

That assumption is correct... if you're diving an Air2.

If however, you're diving a 7' hose, there's no reason to break trim while doing an ascent. Further, there's no real reason that the ascent needs to be "an emergency" but rather merely "a nuisance ascent."

I guess the point of view whether its an "emergency" or not depends on whether you're the diver that was out of air :eyebrow:
Either way I think once its an OOA situation its time to start heading up. I like to be vertical to keep an eye out for boats ect.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom