Why do some fins have a hole in the blade tip and some do not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang it up on a peg by the hole in the blade tip, so the fin pocket can drain after rinsing (?) . . .

Hang it up on a peg by the hole in the blade tip, so the fin pocket can drain after rinsing (?) . . .

Rhyss C. @ SP told me exactly that. I think he may know something about fins.

Actually, I was wondering why some deep 6 fins have the hole and some do not, rather than why the hole is there.

I have heard that the reason why the hole is there is due to some engineer observing a flow disturbance at the end of the fin without a hole.

Actually, I was wondering why some deep 6 fins have the hole and some do not, rather than why the hole is there.

I have heard that the reason why the hole is there is due to some engineer observing a flow disturbance at the end of the fin without a hole.

Yes, Alec Peirce said the same thing when he was discussing the Scubapro Seawing fins on his YouTube channel.

Hi divezonescuba, our first few production runs did not have the hanging hole in them. Our most recent production runs do. It is simply there for hanging the fins for storage, or somewhere on your person pre/post dive. It does not affect function in any way, just a feature of convenience.

Yes, Alec Peirce said the same thing when he was discussing the Scubapro Seawing fins on his YouTube channel.

Wait. I quoted Rhys Couzyn, designer of the Seawing Nova fin and you’re quoting Alec Pierce. Which source should I believe? Hmm...

So, my black xl without the hole, but with the difficult to remove mold release was from an earlier production run. And my orange large with the holes and no mold release are from a more recent production run.

I have also put nonskid on the bottom of the orange foot pockets as the harder fin material seems to be a bit Slippery on wet surfaces. maybe deep6 can come up with a way to address that.

Now, If I could only get a large in black without mold release.

Just confirmed with the fin designer (again). The hole is only for hanging on a hook or threading to a loop post-dive. No hydro-dynamics whatsoever.

So when you come up the dive ladder on the liveaboard, you can hold on to your fins instead of throwing them at the divemaster and probably getting them slung back in your face. Reminds me why I sold my liveaboard.

Back
Top Bottom