Why do LDS' treat divers like idiot morons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK here goes. Actually for the most part my LDS is straight up, but every now and then they tick me off. Just got my Apeks regs back from service. I actually have some rebuild kits but have not gotten around to gearing up with all the tools before my 1st stage malfunctioned. As I was in the middle of Rescue training I had them rebuild 'em. Looks like they're on top of it, all parts in a bag, $50.00 for one 1st and two 2nd kits but the total bill was $133.00. That's not the issue, but the little "note" and "lesson" I got with the regs is. Bottom line, HP seat issue, IP creep, FIX THEM, I PAID YOU, don't give me any of your scare tactic BS. For entertainment here's the letter, am I over-reacting? I bought these new at LP and they have about 35 dives on them. IP started to creep one day and I did not dive them, never opened them up since LP. Always rinse them, etc. etc. This guy is convinced I or someone tried to rebuild them and screwed up, argggggggg

Your regulator(s) were in sad shape. The 1st stage intermediate pressure was well over 300 psi (normal is 135) I knew this..., beyond the working pressure of the low pressure hoses. This was certainly caused by some form of user abuse, probably rapid turn-ons of the tank valve that damaged the high pressure seat (I'll give him that). There was (is) a scratch across the face of the high pressure seat. This may also have been a significant contributing factor. The scratch was not there when the regulator left the factory or any qualified service person (how the hell does he know?). You were on the verge of having a hose burst How are you at doing CESA's? (Give me a break...)
Once the 2nd stage was provided with the proper inlet pressure, it's opening effort required 2.5 "H2O, vs. .8" - 1.4". It would not have qualified as a poor octopus (yeah, that's why you're working on it ahxxx..). This degree of breathing resistance would not be expected from normal use or time in service (it would if the HP seat had a problem). Tampering by an unqualified person would be my guess. This is not to mention the sand inside the case. Since the octopus had sand in it also, I rebuilt both. Please see the attached regulator care sheet. While your 1st stage doesn't have ambient ports to rinse, the rest of the advise is essential to long service life and safe diving.
And, avoid incompetent tampering with the internals.
Signed

A simple description of the problem/rebuild would have been fine for me......Looks like I'm ordering a few tools from Peterbuilt.....

RiverRat:
OK here goes. Actually for the most part my LDS is straight up, but every now and then they tick me off. Just got my Apeks regs back from service. I actually have some rebuild kits but have not gotten around to gearing up with all the tools before my 1st stage malfunctioned. As I was in the middle of Rescue training I had them rebuild 'em. Looks like they're on top of it, all parts in a bag, $50.00 for one 1st and two 2nd kits but the total bill was $133.00. That's not the issue, but the little "note" and "lesson" I got with the regs is. Bottom line, HP seat issue, IP creep, FIX THEM, I PAID YOU, don't give me any of your scare tactic BS. For entertainment here's the letter, am I over-reacting? I bought these new at LP and they have about 35 dives on them. IP started to creep one day and I did not dive them, never opened them up since LP. Always rinse them, etc. etc. This guy is convinced I or someone tried to rebuild them and screwed up, argggggggg

Chris,
Your regulator(s) were in sad shape. The 1st stage intermediate pressure was well over 300 psi (normal is 135) I knew this..., beyond the working pressure of the low pressure hoses. This was certainly caused by some form of user abuse, probably rapid turn-ons of the tank valve that damaged the high pressure seat (I'll give him that). There was (is) a scratch across the face of the high pressure seat. This may also have been a significant contributing factor. The scratch was not there when the regulator left the factory or any qualified service person (how the hell does he know?). You were on the verge of having a hose burst How are you at doing CESA's? (Give me a break...)
Once the 2nd stage was provided with the proper inlet pressure, it's opening effort required 2.5 "H2O, vs. .8" - 1.4". It would not have qualified as a poor octopus (yeah, that's why you're working on it ahole..). This degree of breathing resistance would not be expected from normal use or time in service (it would if the HP seat had a problem). Tampering by an unqualified person would be my guess. This is not to mention the sand inside the case. Since the octopus had sand in it also, I rebuilt both. Please see the attached regulator care sheet. While your 1st stage doesn't have ambient ports to rinse, the rest of the advise is essential to long service life and safe diving.
Signed

A simple description of the problem/rebuild would have been fine for me......Looks like I'm ordering a few tools from Peterbuilt.....

Perhaps some divers act like moronic idiots...

RiverRat:

Once the 2nd stage was provided with the proper inlet pressure, it's opening effort required 2.5 "H2O, vs. .8" - 1.4". It would not have qualified as a poor octopus (yeah, that's why you're working on it ahxxx..). This degree of breathing resistance would not be expected from normal use or time in service (it would if the HP seat had a problem). Tampering by an unqualified person would be my guess. This is not to mention the sand inside the case. Since the octopus had sand in it also, I rebuilt both. Please see the attached regulator care sheet. While your 1st stage doesn't have ambient ports to rinse, the rest of the advise is essential to long service life and safe diving.
Signed

Show the note to the manager and ask the rhetorical question "Is it your intent to ensure I never come back by providing condescending notes like this?"

garyfotodiver:
Perhaps some divers act like moronic idiots...

I'm sure many do, but I really think that note and lesson was a little too much. Anyway, maybe they are looking out for my safety....I dunno, many of us DO know what is going on though.

scubasean:
Show the note to the manager and ask the rhetorical question "Is it your intent to ensure I never come back by providing condescending notes like this?"

I second that!

Uncle Pug:
What about the condition of your regs would have given them a clue that you knew what was going on?

Hey UP,

I can't tell from your note if you merely question the knowledge, or condone the LDS action, or both.

There is a way to educate for maximum benefit, and I do not believe it is exhibited here.

Laser:
Sounds like a thorough reg servicing to me.

Yes it was, no problem as I stated, but why insist that I'm abusing my gear and that some incompetent idiot opened them up? And asking me how good I am at doing CESA's?

My reg dove perfectly until the day I mounted it to my tank, it made a "pop" sound, then the IP crept up and freeflowed the regs. I used a buddies backups for that dive so no need to be concerned about a CESA. Just the attitude that I must of been in the regs and screwed 'em up burns me.
They could have asked me something before jumping to half baked conclusions

Uncle Pug:
What about the condition of your regs would have given them a clue that you knew what was going on?

I'm not saying they should have expected me to know anything at all, but in any event whether I'm a total idiot or not, I believe that crap was in poor taste. I try to keep up with my gear maintainance, always rinse it, check the IP, test breathe them, etc. They found a scratch on the HP seat and state it did not leave the factory or a qualified service person like that? How do they know? They feel either I or another "unqualified" tech tried to rebuild them, BS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom