• Boredom/had enough/found new hobby

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Family obligations/Insurance

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Work obligations

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Spooked by accident, close call, etc.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Injury (bent, PFO, unrelated physical injury, etc.)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Loss of/not enough buddies

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Relocated or too far from the water

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Too costly

• Other?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To bad the poll didn't have a multiple answer option.:(
Over the years I found that (NEW) divers had different reasons to stop.
$$$$+$$$$$
Kids
relocation.

But most of all TIME.
Most had more than one sport,some of them teamsports(hockey,soccer and what ever)and had not realized that diving took (some) time aswell.
Even seen/heard/spoke to a lot of people who took up diving so they just could say they where "divers":shakehead:

Guessing now but,of all the divers we trained,75%+are eighter vacationdivers or non divers.

I did read some statistics that the average diver stays with the sport for 3 – 4 years. Then family (non-diving partner), relocation, or introduction to another sport (did somebody say golf) puts an end to the fun. Relocation could definitely be another source; however, it was not listed in the report I’m referring to. Living further from suitable dive sites could become really expensive with the gas prices we face today.

I dropped out of the sport for about 7 years, but it was really a combination of things. I burst an ear drum which "grounded" me for a while, and also made me realise I could actually live without diving. Then I moved to the UK for a few years, and cold water diving is not for me. Then we had kids, and you know they are Dad's responsibilty on weekends...

I guess everyone has their own reasons, but it does seem to be a sport with a high attrition rate. But I also think a lot of divers come back eventually, even if it is only when they go on holiday a few years later to somewhere warm.

Personally, I use to dive every other weekend a few years ago. My son is 17 months old, so diving is pretty well not even in the picture. It now revolves around the honey due list and playing with my son. Not complaining, but just can't wait to get him into diving.

I stopped diving for a couple of years in the 80's reason exwife. and I don't miss her. :shakehead:

I stopped diving for a couple of years in the 80's reason exwife. and I don't miss her. :shakehead:

Isn’t this a good reason to start diving again – now that she is gone?

How about ALL of the above. Probably the number one reason is a change in a diver's life situation; finances, work obligations, available time, new girlfriend or wife / new boyfriend or husband, new children, personal health, family illness, etc.

In cycling, things like the above, especially a new romantic interest or children, were the most common reason folks left the sport, though some of those did come back after a hiatus of a few years.

Other reasons folks quit diving, include boredom, scary close calls, and health.

Lastly we have to regognize that folks have limited attention spans, and tend to take up things and then drop them after a certain number of years. This is the same for tennis, cycling, golf, skiing and for folks some even includes marriages.

Last edited:
Some folks just don't like diving all that much. It was on their list of things to do, they checked it off.

I suspect one of the biggest reasons people quit is the low quality of their training. They never really felt comfortable and confident in their abilities.

Probably the top two.

The first is probably most prevalent. They didn't actually "quit diving" they merely never intended to "continue diving."

Second one is big too. I remember my OW instructor saying to our class "if you don't become lifelong divers it means I have failed as an instructor."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom