Why do computers rot the brain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is correct that computers do not have a real nitrogen meter. One which measures the actual nitrogen content that is currently absorbed by the body. Computers "nitrogen meters" are based on theoretical mathematical models, as nradov pointed out, whose accuracy level is unconfirmed, and whose inclusion in mathematical decompression theory gives us the dive tables. You either accept it, or reject it. Wether the table is contained and displayed in a computer or a card is irrelevant - it is one and the same. ( there are various table models )

What the computer adds is an algorithm, which I presume creates a minute, insignificant accuracy variance, in order to animate the table - and show it in action. If you have not visually seen the rate of on-gassing and off gassing of nitrogen at various depths, which can be quite rapid and substantial, it is because the rigid tables can not show this. A computer will show the tables in action.

The usefulness of this meter is within the confines of recreational diving, as it is designed to show how close you are to a mandatory decompression stop, and is to be avoided by those not trained in this. I am a rec diver, I don't know wether some computers have a nitrogen meter useful in tech diving or wether tech divers can find this rec nitrogen meter of some use. Technically I can't see any impediments for the creation of a tech diving nitrogen meter except for the resistance of divers to use it.

I recognize the limitations of this meter, and that not everyone may desire or feel they need one. I ask you to recognize that its display of the tables in action offers certain advantages over rigid tables. Exactitude during the dive, increased awareness of nitrogen absorption and increased awareness of nitrogen off-gassing. Useful for some.

Those who are good at reading the tables, depth guage and bottom timer, will have a good notion of where they stand at any one moment. As the compexity of the dive plan increases, there is a greater chance to deviate from the plan, and that notion becomes less accurate; Wether the deviation is small or large, intentional or not. A computer will show you the table in real time action. (real time being the computers sampling rate, which is probably every few seconds) I would venture to say that only a relatively handful of divers are capable of a vivid, fairly accurate notion, of where they are and what is taking place at any time in the dive, with respect to an accurate reading of the deco tables - when compared to a computer. Fudge your plan, deviate, only recourse I see is abort, fall back on a much safer plan, or increase the risk.

On another note for tech divers. Computer can show your real time deco obligations with precision, based on your real dive profile applied to the tables - not a theoretical dive profile, or your present notion of your profile. Why the resistance? Not a rhetorical question.

Scuba once bubbled...
Why the resistance?
If you can read my posts as well as nradov's posts in this thread and still ask that question then there obviously is no way for me to explain it to you... or at least no way that you will be able to understand.

So I will just go back to my assertion:
"Computers Rot Your Brain."

On another note for tech divers. Computer can show your real time deco obligations with precision, based on your real dive profile applied to the tables - not a theoretical dive profile, or your present notion of your profile. Why the resistance? Not a rhetorical question

This tech diver embrases the VR3 as his dive computer.
imagine being inside a wreck at 200 feet, moving from the bridge to the engine room and then up through the officers quarters all at different depths. and you just simple monitor your time to the surface.

for instance you start the dive saying i have enough gas to do 60 minutes of deco. so now you start diving and monitor the time to surface. and head off exploring up and down alll around.

AS for the general population of tech divers [removing DIR from the equation] everybody who is doing serious dives is using either the VR3 of the NiTek, the ones still reling on bottom timers and tables will all tell you that their next purchase is a VR3.

here is a good story of the advantages of tech diving with a computer. and how my brain rotted out a little more.

Four of us where doing a dive along a wall in the Caymans
two seperate teams yet together.
team one was using redundent VR3's and team two was using tables. we also had their tables as out third back up.

planned depth was 300 feet we hit our depth and right there we landed on top of this protruding arm of the wall with a cavern like entrence.
by buddy and i confirmed with each other and the other two we dropped down to 340 and entered the cavern, well it was actualy a swim through and was totaly cool.
our other mates hovered over us at 300, there time was up and headed to our predesignated chute where we where going to do our ascent and deco stops.

we continued to explore and then headed for the same spot, we caught up to them at about 200 feet where we came across a masive turttle, like the sive of a Volkswagen +/-
well we hung out and checked him out for a couple of minutes where the other two had to swim right on by.

the best part of it was we where clean and ready to exit the water about 10 minutes quicker than they where.
but since we had lots of deco gas left we hung out with them at 20 feet doing another 10 minutes on top of the other extra deco we did...

so my brain is now rotted because i don't plan a dive with a hard bottom anymore, there is great flexability. i plan it so that i have 1/3 of my back gas left at my first gas switch at 100 feet, so my calculations durring the dive are not about deco it is about gas consumption and i simply monitor my computer for "time to surface" which I decide upon at the begining of the dive. knowing that i can have a flexible depth and dive time as long as my time to surface stays less than the predecided time..which is based on the gas i am caring for deco [this planning procedure describe is greatly simplified and only described what aplies to this text]

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I've always been more interested in accuracy than fairness...
Quote stands. :wink:

Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder

Uncle Pug,

You, nradov, or anyone else here, have yet to post a valid reason to support your theory that can not be just as applicable to those who prefer to use tables only.

So I will just go back to my assertion:
"Computers Rot Your Brain."

Not to worry Uncle Pug, one day, not too far off - in a not so distant galaxy - the DIR powers that be will give their consent for you to use a computer. They may even show you how to use it "Without Rotting Your Brain".

I found the answer to my question:

Why the resistance?

I found the answer in rmediver2002's post.

This is just an example of an opinion NOT changed from one of contempt for the potential apathy resulting from reliance on a computer to one of FAILURE TO ACCEPT that a more accurate estimate of disolved nitrogen could be obtained by a machine...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom