Why dive in the cold (polar regions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This happened to be in our paper today, I thought I would share it here:

Astonishing richness' in polar sea species

BANGKOK, Thailand -- The polar oceans are not biological deserts after all.
A marine census released this week documented 5,500 species in the Arctic and 7,500 in the Antarctic, including several hundred that researchers believe could be new to science.

"The textbooks have said there is less diversity at the poles than the tropics, but we found astonishing richness of marine life in the Antarctic and Arctic oceans," said Victoria Wadley, a researcher from the Australian Antarctic Division who took part in the Antarctic survey. "We are rewriting the textbooks.".....

I have dived in Antarctica. Yes, there is less diversity at the poles, but there are many endemic species which live only bellow freezing (32 F). Iceberg is the most spectacular.

Me too. I would like to take a trip to Antarctica within the next five years or so.

Cold water places to dive appeal to me more these days than warm water actually.

Where in Antarctica?

Not sure exactly. The local agency that seems to run a lot of the dive trips to Antarctica uses a ship called MV Grigoriy Mikheev. So I guess I will probably book on a trip there and see where it takes me :) Still a few years away yet so I have not done any research other than look at others' dive pictures :rofl3:

Any recommedations?

Not sure exactly. The local agency that seems to run a lot of the dive trips to Antarctica uses a ship called MV Grigoriy Mikheev. So I guess I will probably book on a trip there and see where it takes me :) Still a few years away yet so I have not done any research other than look at others' dive pictures :rofl3:

Any recommedations?
Actually, Antarctic Peninsula is only for recreationnal diving. Other places are not public.

This happened to be in our paper today, I thought I would share it here:

Change to from NUDEDIVER to SUITEDIVER and it's some kuel diving. :D

Gary D.

I've seen reports of 1/4 to 1/2 mile visibility under water, maybe more :shocked:
.. I'll see if I can find the pics/article

I've seen reports of 1/4 to 1/2 mile visibility under water, maybe more :shocked:
.. I'll see if I can find the pics/article
Yes, but it is rare. I contacted with a diver who doves in exceptional visibility, he said only in the twilight in early spring where there are not many planktons for lack of light. Only divers for research can see a exceptional visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom