Why dive in the cold (polar regions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in the fairly cold water in socal....I love diving in the cold water up in the PNW....I am dying to dive in the even colder waters of BC....and would eventually like to take some trips to even colder waters, and do some ice diving. I have very little desire to go to warm water....it's nice that cold water is getting its recognition as great diving finally! :D

On second thought, cold water sucks....go somewhere warm so I can go to the cold water without hundreds of divers fighting for a place! :wink:

Yes, but it is rare. I contacted with a diver who doves in exceptional visibility, he said only in the twilight in early spring where there are not many planktons for lack of light. Only divers for research can see a exceptional visibility.
If I remember correctly, that's exactly what it was

I dive in the fairly cold water in socal....I love diving in the cold water up in the PNW....I am dying to dive in the even colder waters of BC....and would eventually like to take some trips to even colder waters, and do some ice diving. I have very little desire to go to warm water....it's nice that cold water is getting its recognition as great diving finally! :D

On second thought, cold water sucks....go somewhere warm so I can go to the cold water without hundreds of divers fighting for a place! :wink:

Don't worry, I don't think it will ever get quite like the tropics up here... some people just won't hack the cold. But it's their loss; it truly is. There's some unbelievable diving in BC and stops being greeted by curious seals or sea lions are always memorable. So are surface intervals during which you're passed by orcas, porpoise or humpbacks (not to mention the bald eagles overhead).

Now, now... before I get too many southern BC divers arguing my claims, I challenge them to go hang out where they KNOW our best diving is - the Port Hardy area - and try to tell me I'm exaggerating.

Anyhow, I strongly encourage a visit. And I'm personally quite intrigued by what even colder water holds. Maybe one day I'll make it to the polar regions... the cold certainly can't dissuade me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom