Why dive in a quarry? Should you log them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the OP asked, "DO you count quarry dives?", not should you, could you, would you? A simple yes or no question. I was quite surprised by the vitriol that was elicited by the mere asking of the question.

For myself, I don't log a dive when I check the mooring for my boat. Nor when checking through hulls, the propeller, changing zincs or scraping barnacles. Could I? Yes. Should I? Debatable. Do I? No. Log what you want to log, don't log what you don't want to log. Pretty simple, yes?

Edit to add: Sometimes I check the boat even when I know there's nothing wrong. I just love being underwater. (But I don't log those)

Last edited:
To be fair, the OP asked, "DO you count quarry dives?", not should you, could you, would you? A simple yes or no question. I was quite surprised by the vitriol that was elicited by the mere asking of the question.
When asked why he asked the question, he responded with his reasons for asking. It was the reason (they aren't worth logging--like diving in the deep end of a pool), the continuation of that reasoning, and the joining in from at least one other ("quarry dives are rubbish") that drew the vitriol.

If they don't need extra training because they were trained right - why are you telling people diving in those conditions is beyond them?

I'm not knocking quarries here. I'm saying that they do not prepare people to dive in strong surge and currents. That seems like common sense to me.

... neither does any open ocean OW instruction that I'm aware of. I dive in a place where strong currents are common, and our best dive sites are usually ones that must be planned and managed with strong current in mind ... but our instructors generally do their OW checkout dives in parts of the sound that are protected. One does not reasonably place OW students in strong surge or current ... you give them a chance to develop their skills in more benign conditions first. That seems like common sense to me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My point was and always has been that quarry diving does not equip people to dive in some ocean conditions. Not all - but some. People seem to have taken umbrage at that. And I'm not sure why.

... because of how you said it ... I believe the operative words that evoked the reaction were "total rubbish", which were (and are) completely irrelevant and not a very professional (you ARE a professional, right?) way to express yourself ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I log every dive, not necessarily detailed but enough to doccument it happened in what conditions 100 ft cold water ect and what was done. You never know if you will need to prove the dive you did was not abnormal or for proof for some course. An agency i used in the past allowed the olog to satisfy the dive requirements of a course. Ie navigation after a dozen entries over several dives logging problems and resolutions ect the use of a compass did not have to be proved in the water. Its up to the instructor how confident they are with it but you never know. Another example logging boat dives with the boat stamp in the log and you may not have to do boat dive to get a dive boat cert. It really helps with those MISC. course that you need to get IE a master card.

Why dive in a quarry? Because sometimes the sea is closed or you can't make it to the coast. Or you just want a post work dive. Maybe to test out your kit after it's come back from service or after a bit of a lay-off. Better to have something go wrong at the 6m platform instead of 30m on a wreck. Any number of reasons really. As for logging, log whatever you want. Personally, I can't be asked to log dives, so I don't.

... neither does any open ocean OW instruction that I'm aware of. I dive in a place where strong currents are common, and our best dive sites are usually ones that must be planned and managed with strong current in mind ... but our instructors generally do their OW checkout dives in parts of the sound that are protected. One does not reasonably place OW students in strong surge or current ... you give them a chance to develop their skills in more benign conditions first. That seems like common sense to me.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes I agree - I've never said it does. All I have ever said is that people should dive within the limitations of their training. I'm not sure why that is so upsetting to you. I was simply asking why someone would make a statement that no more training is needed, and then say the students were not ready. I'm not really sure what the problem with that is.

... because of how you said it ... I believe the operative words that evoked the reaction were "total rubbish", which were (and are) completely irrelevant and not a very professional (you ARE a professional, right?) way to express yourself ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How does having an opinion relating to types of diving relate to someone's professionalism? And what difference does my level of training have to do with anything? I conduct myself first and foremost as a human being. I wouldn't change my viewpoint depending on what position I hold or have held. To do so would make me a hypocrite.

Respectfully - my primary source of income is in a world which is truly professional. And attempting to call someone out publically rather than discussing it with them privately or through regulatory bodies would be the considered incredibly unprofessional. Indeed people have been struck off for doing so. Perhaps if you'd felt my comments were in some way offensive you could have sent me a message or reported it to the moderators. However, if we remove all ability for people to express an opinion I do fear that the website would be somewhat lacking in content.

All I have ever said is that people should dive within the limitations of their training. I'm not sure why that is so upsetting to you. I was simply asking why someone would make a statement that no more training is needed, and then say the students were not ready. I'm not really sure what the problem with that is.
I'm sorry, but this is revisionist history. You both said and implied much more than that.

I'm sorry, but this is revisionist history. You both said and implied much more than that.

Please quote where I have said for more than that. I am happy to concede I am wrong if I am. However do not feel I have done so. I have not deleted or changed my posts so they should still be there.

How does having an opinion relating to types of diving relate to someone's professionalism?

It doesn't. How they express that opinion to others - and especially strangers, in a public forum - has a very direct relationship to the perception of professionalism.

"I don't really care for that myself" comes across as much more professional than "that is total rubbish." In my opinion, anyway.

And what difference does my level of training have to do with anything?

The agencies that I am familiar with have a code of conduct that must be accepted in order to receive a professional certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom