Why dive in a quarry? Should you log them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say that quarry divers need extra training is not true. If they were trained right in the first place.

If they don't need extra training because they were trained right - why are you telling people diving in those conditions is beyond them?
Believe it or not, ocean dives are not all alike. A well trained quarry diver will be plenty prepared for some ocean dives and not at all prepared for some others. The same would be true of ocean-trained divers--some ocean dives will be beyond their training. Part of the training should be knowing the difference.

Believe it or not, ocean dives are not all alike. A well trained quarry diver will be plenty prepared for some ocean dives and not at all prepared for some others. The same would be true of ocean-trained divers--some ocean dives will be beyond their training. Part of the training should be knowing the difference.

Thats all well and good. And it repeats what I have already said multiple times on this thread. So we are all in agreement.

However, it doesn't explain how someone can not need extra training whilst at the same time being told they are not capable of diving in the conditions.

My point was and always has been that quarry diving does not equip people to dive in some ocean conditions. Not all - but some. People seem to have taken umbrage at that. And I'm not sure why.

My point was and always has been that quarry diving does not equip people to dive in some ocean conditions. Not all - but some. People seem to have taken umbrage at that. And I'm not sure why.
As I said, that is true of ALL training done in ALL environments. No OW training can prepare you for ALL ocean diving--why single out quarries?

As I said, that is true of ALL training done in ALL environments. No OW training can prepare you for ALL ocean diving--why single out quarries?

Because the thread is about quarries and it came up. Doing cold ocean diving does not equip you to go ice diving. Diving in caves does not equip you for all wrecks. Being a great wreck diver doesn't qualify you to dive all caves. People are trained in the conditions they have trained it.

My point wasn't to single anything out. Someone asked if they should throw their card away and if it had value. I said the card was fine but within the limitation of your training. Which I'm sure you'd agree with.

Because the thread is about quarries and it came up. Doing cold ocean diving does not equip you to go ice diving. Diving in caves does not equip you for all wrecks. Being a great wreck diver doesn't qualify you to dive all caves. People are trained in the conditions they have trained it.

My point wasn't to single anything out. Someone asked if they should throw their card away and if it had value. I said the card was fine but within the limitation of your training. Which I'm sure you'd agree with.

Quarries are total rubbish

It does beg the question as to which other dive sites are rubbish or not really up for logging.

It does beg the question as to which other dive sites are rubbish or not really up for logging.

Not really. Again if you looked at my previous posts in this very thread you would know what I think about logging dives. I personally log none. But if I did log dives I'd log quarry dives and pool dives. Technically my computer logs them but I never look at this. It's a personal choice for me not to record dives - and I've made it clear people should do what makes them happy. I've never suggested people don't log dives because they are in a quarry...

The comment about quarries being rubbish was a personal opinion. And if you included the full quote you'd see I said I wouldn't dive them unless the sea was not practical. I also don't like diving with photographers - everyone can have personal opinions on all sorts of things.

I'm really not sure what the point you're trying to make is. Can you explain it to me?

Not really. Again if you looked at my previous posts in this very thread you would know what I think about logging dives. I personally log none. But if I did log dives I'd log quarry dives and pool dives. Technically my computer logs them but I never look at this. It's a personal choice for me not to record dives - and I've made it clear people should do what makes them happy. I've never suggested people don't log dives because they are in a quarry...

The comment about quarries being rubbish was a personal opinion. And if you included the full quote you'd see I said I wouldn't dive them unless the sea was not practical. I also don't like diving with photographers - everyone can have personal opinions on all sorts of things.

I'm really not sure what the point you're trying to make is. Can you explain it to me?

We're all just trying to learn along the way, right? You had an opinion about not logging dives that you wouldn't do. I assume we're just all trying to flesh that out so that we can learn from it possibly.

After learning more about the vast differences among different quarries, another question comes to mind. Are any quarry dives considered "confined water" or "closed water" dives? (As opposed to "open water" dives) And what is the criteria differentiating the two?
I believe PADI considers a "confined" water dive to be anywhere that is somewhat similar to a pool in that there are no currents, decent viz, no waves/surge of any consequence, etc. There are many both salt and fresh water sites that fit that criteria. Though I would guess there are more fresh than salt.

We're all just trying to learn along the way, right? You had an opinion about not logging dives that you wouldn't do. I assume we're just all trying to flesh that out so that we can learn from it possibly.

Logging dives is a divers choice, unless you need the information, say for training requirements, it's not an issue.

The logging of dives came from the Navy, which logs everything, in order to keep track of a divers use of compressed gas under pressure, hyperbaric exposure. It was, and is, used by the Navy as as a research tool (raw data) as well as background information on a diver headed to the chamber. It moved into early recreational SCUBA and became less useful as there was no body collecting the data. It may now be useful to your hyperbaric physician if you are having issues diving.

As others have said, there are a lot of other good reasons to log dives aside from hyperbaric exposure, and the choice of what to log is up to the diver. My take is do what you want and if an instructor or dive operation wants to see your log let them sort out what they need.

Bob

Some of the recurring themes in this thread seem to be the question of if it is in a controlled (deliberately choosing not to use the word confined) environment should it be logged? Or if it is just for training should it be logged? Some of the analogies have included things such as the difference between running an Ironman and training for an Ironman.

I would like to put out another analogy. If a licensed private pilot goes to his local airport on a nice sunny day with a light breeze, not to fly to another location, but to practice their pattern work or "touch and goes", then wouldn't it make sense for that pilot to log those hours?

In that context, as I said before, IMHO, any time a diver dives, it makes sense to keep a record of it. Let's not forget, that this is all our logs are, they are a list of what we have done. Whether a dive is spectacular or benign, having a list of what you have done is not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom