Why dive in a quarry? Should you log them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does having an opinion relating to types of diving relate to someone's professionalism? And what difference does my level of training have to do with anything? I conduct myself first and foremost as a human being. I wouldn't change my viewpoint depending on what position I hold or have held. To do so would make me a hypocrite.

Respectfully - my primary source of income is in a world which is truly professional. And attempting to call someone out publically rather than discussing it with them privately or through regulatory bodies would be the considered incredibly unprofessional. Indeed people have been struck off for doing so. Perhaps if you'd felt my comments were in some way offensive you could have sent me a message or reported it to the moderators. However, if we remove all ability for people to express an opinion I do fear that the website would be somewhat lacking in content.
Those who know me would tell you that I'm a pretty outspoken person ... I rarely feel the need to couch my thoughts in politically correct terms. However, in my 12 years as a scuba instructor, I never ... not once ... used words like "total rubbish" while trying to explain something to a student, or a new diver I was mentoring. If I couldn't do so in a way that was responsive to the question in a manner that made the listener receptive to the response, then I wouldn't consider my own answer acceptable. I hold other dive professionals to that same standard.

Audience matters. Context matters. You're in a forum with special rules. One that's frequented by people who come here to ask questions and learn from people like you and me. The lady was obviously effusive over some new experience she had, and your choice of words conveyed both condescension and disdain for her efforts.

Yeah, maybe to you it was just "having an opinion" ... but how you say it and to whom you say it matters. When you say things that discourage people from participating further in the conversation, or require moderators to come in and start pruning posts, then it has gone beyond merely having an opinion. Yeah, I could have sent you a PM. But why should I? You didn't feel the need to show any semblance of decorum when responding to the young lady ... why then should I or anyone else show any to you?

You said you didn't understand why anyone would find what you said objectionable. I told you why. The appeal to authority was a nice touch too ... as though your thousands of dives is supposed to entitle you to be insulting in your response to her. Not impressed ... with all that experience, you should know better.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom