Why Dive Compasses Are So Expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he probably meant compass "card," which is the correct nomenclature, but simply couldn't find the word.
Yes...Compass Card. That is exactly what I was looking for. They are NOT all the same. Something like SPG...same-same.

We have been on the keystone pricing business model for a long time.100% markup at three levels, manufacturing, distributor, retailer. Let's say it costs $50 to make an item, they sell it for $100, the distributor then sells it for $200, the retailer attempts to get $400 MSRP, but rarely does. Some markups are 1000s of percent. So you can see how much is made in the middle for basically moving boxes from one place to another.

I don't think the middle men are responsible. As an example, a battery kit for an Oceanic Versa/ Suunto Vyper/ Suunto Gekko/ Suunto Cobra will run you around $20. That's a $3 battery and a $0.15 oring. The manufactures have a lot of divers by the short and curlys and are taking advantage of the fact.

That being said, I have a Suunto SPG 9 with a SK7 compass that runs around $100. Is it high, yes. It does fit nicely together and I am comfortable using it.

how is it not due to middlemen? take a suunto battery kit for example, it is marked up when suunto packages it together and sells it to the US importer, the US importer then marks it up and sells it to a dive shop, which then marks it up to MSRP when sold to a diver that walks in the door. and the markups are very generous at each step.

Buy used. For every person getting into diving there's at least 1 person or more getting out (so it seems). I've saved $100s by buying just about everything used with most gear looking like it may have gotten wet once or twice

Nice find.

It amazes me how complicated the simple bar magnet compass has become. Just adding a rotating bezel causes issues. Get a copy of "The Taming of the Slough" and read from the bottom of page 114 to 115 for that. Indirect vs. direct reading also causes issues. How you hold it counts a lot, arm at an angle is an issue. Simply tilting it can jam the rotating part and send you off to wherever...

Truth is, you will only need all that precision stuff for nav class so you can swim geometric shapes in no current and get a card.

I use a compass a lot. I like simple. That is why I rely on the electronic compass in my DC. I dive at night, my integrated compass lights up at night. None of the above issues, none of them.

Precision? Thataway is home, thisaway is the ship channel...

$40 for a compass with bungee mount:

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express®

Mine seems to work just fine and it is lower profile than the Suunto SK7 or SK8. And a lot less expensive.

I used the supplied bungee to make 2 adjustable loops. One loop around my wrist and the other looped around my first two fingers. The compass rides perfectly on the back of my right hand and is easier to use than if it were mounted on my wrist.

My computer has a built-in electronic compass, too, which is fine if I just want to keep track of which way the boat is. But, if there is anything more significant as a possibility, I prefer to use the mechanical compass as primary.

Back
Top Bottom