Why Dive Compasses Are So Expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all compasses have the same "chip/board" (I forget the exact term) in them. The better the chip, the better the performance, the more it costs. At least that is what the Internet says.

Uhm..compass. Magnet mounted to a free floating thing that aligns itself with the earth's magnetic field. No electronics present...

at least they last longer than golf balls.....

I don't know why compasses are expensive. I would speculate that they are fairly expensive to make in the small volumes in which they are manufactured.

I do know that cheap compasses are worthless for diving. I sold mine and got a good one.

I also know that diving compasses are in fact cheap compared to aviation compasses.

Nice subject. I thought this reviews might help. Forgive me if I am preaching to the choir but here is a general but simple statement on companies after visiting hundreds in my last career. This may be too simplistic but the general sense is what I am hope to convey less detail explanation ad nauseum.

You want to break this demand / supply market? introduce something using common tools, manufacturing, and ideas from others. A good example is the open source OSTC from Heinrichs-Weikamp. There were others but they will be bought out from major consumer scuba product developers who cannot move to innovate like smaller more creative companies. Just look at some recent dive SW-based computers still using LCD displays!! That tech is aged, old but when demand better for better displays is silent then manufactures will optimize LCD production in ASIA to the penny. And that means more profit margins.

Re-tooling takes time. While smaller companies can innovate more rapidly they sometimes more features they sometimes moderate production capability. Maybe that is why Xdeep and Liquivision were purchased with little to no credit debts. Major manufactures (I won't name names) want you to purchase their age-old products for ever because they have optimized cost structures and have an optimized out-year ROI. And they love high profits with no capital outlay. Let me be clear their are some great scuba companies with great business portfolios that run the company like a true fiducially responsible, public traded company. Well not exactly but you get what I mean.

I personally despise gay-scale LCD displays. LCD is 20 year old tech that is cheap to reuse. But introduce TFT or OLED and see what it does to the manufactures. All of a sudden they lose market positions, sales and they respond with something, "new". BS they just want to push others out of their profits. In scuba, market positions and margins are skim and taker time to capture. It's pure economics baby. fwiw: I was involved in R&D, development, product, and technology management for 20+ years. Also, maybe one day we can evaluate scuba companies under wall street, investment, PNL statements. Just my view of the world.

My last compass cost about $75. It was used. The seller also included a first stage,a couple of second stages, a pressure Guage, a bunch of hoses and a big lump of plastic called a console....

Uhm..compass. Magnet mounted to a free floating thing that aligns itself with the earth's magnetic field. No electronics present...

I think he probably meant compass "card," which is the correct nomenclature, but simply couldn't find the word.

scuba compasses are expensive because of the middle men. typically marked up 3 times to get to that 100 dollar retail price.

I don't think the middle men are responsible. As an example, a battery kit for an Oceanic Versa/ Suunto Vyper/ Suunto Gekko/ Suunto Cobra will run you around $20. That's a $3 battery and a $0.15 oring. The manufactures have a lot of divers by the short and curlys and are taking advantage of the fact.

That being said, I have a Suunto SPG 9 with a SK7 compass that runs around $100. Is it high, yes. It does fit nicely together and I am comfortable using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom