Why Dive Compasses Are So Expensive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an expensive sport. There are enough people with loads of disposable income in recreational scuba to keep all prices very high. Why does the cost of gasoline go up in the summer? Why does swimming pool sodium bicarbonate cost $20 US per 16 pounds when I can get it in bulk for $20 US per 50 pounds?

-Because they can get it...

Hi guys,

The example in my mind was Suunto SK-8, which costs about 100$.

In general, the compass is a very simple device and to make it water resistant is not difficult either. There's got to be something else that makes is so expensive.

P.S. I'm still a believer :)

Last edited:
Just a little tip... The more time you spend seeing more dive gear and talking with people in the know, the more your realize "most" of it, especially accessories, looks the same with a different name. And that's because it is the same. There's a handful of plants making the same gear for everyone. Take a mask for example. You'll find there are only several different designs. Rebranded and their price can be widely different.

And yes, before someone says it, there are some smaller manufacturers making their own products, but for the most part the same dive gear is coming from a few large plants in Taiwan, China, etc. So it pays to do some research. Piranha Dive Mfg. is a good place to look for those deals being passed on to the consumer. ProBlue is large manufacturer in Taiwan and PDM sells a ton of their products which have been great quality for me. Especially their SMB's.

Not all compasses have the same "chip/board" (I forget the exact term) in them. The better the chip, the better the performance, the more it costs. At least that is what the Internet says.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom