Why DIN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a ScubaPro S600 yoke first stage. People tell me I should change to DIN. I don't know enough to know whether that make sense. Why do people use DIN anyway, and should I make the change? FWIW I dive on wrecks off NJ (no penetration), I use single tanks (LP steel), and I take my regs along for resort diving. Thanks!

DIN has a number of advantages over the yoke design (ie: more secure connection, less chance of blown o-ring, can take higher pressure, lower profile, just to name a few) but IMO for you the yoke will suffice, especially if you travel with them to vacations spots. Most smaller outfits are not geared up for din regs so it might be a problem (although you can use/get a din-to-yoke converter that will allow you to use it on a standard K valve)

As far as performance, you will see no difference, it merely a method of attachment to a tank valve. Sort of like metric or imperial nuts/bolts - they do the same and look the same but require different tools.

Agree with the above. If you had your own DIN tanks of course (all mine are except my ponies), that would be a different story. My regs are DIN with DIN-to-yoke adaptors if I need to travel with them (except the pony which currently is yoke).

The valves on my LP steel tanks have a removable insert that converts them from yoke to DIN. Would that change the picture? If I do this, would I have to replace my first stage with a DIN first stage, and use a DIN-to-yoke adaptor for travels?

What do you think for my pony, which is also yoke. I'm going to start slinging it, so I can take it on trips easily. Since DIN is more secure, would it be advisable to convert it to DIN? How much would it matter if the pony is DIN and the back gas is yoke?

Well if your tanks are already DIN, why not convert the regs to DIN as well, cannot hurt....and when traveling you can use the adapter.

You do not have to reaplce the SP S600, just get the DIN converter for them, should be circa $50-60 and it takes a few minutes to swap.
scpdc2.jpg

The pony's can stay yoke or you can get DIN valves for those as well and keep everything uniform, you will have to get new/other regs for those so might as well shop for DIN.

if you swap it yourself be careful of the torque used. The inner nut is very tight, but the outer one is just a little tigher than hand tight.

The picture makes it clear. Thanks, Tamas, and thanks to you other guys, too.

My advice would be to switch to DIN as long as your tank valves are already DIN adaptable. As indicated above it is lower profile and less likely to snag your dive line, etc. I do a fair amount of commerical diving in the summer marinas and with yoke connections I could count on getting a cable, chain, line etc snagged on the tank valve in low viz and have to remove the BP/Wing to clear it. This has not occured since switching to DIN and eliminating the snag potential of the yoke knob.

You can go with a DIN to yoke adaptor when you travel, but they add about 1/2" to the lenght of the connection and for some divers this puts the valve close to the hack of their head. An alternative if you own a torque wrench is to get a 1" yoke nut socket and a long reach 6mm allen wrench socket from www.scubatools.com and convert it back and forth to yoke or DIN as needed. Torque the retaining nut to 22 ft lbs.

Or if you are not the DIY type, take it in to the shop and have the tech convert it back to DIN prior to any trips to non DIN suppporting destinations. You could have the reg flow tested to ensure proper operation as well while you are in the shop - it's cheap trip insurance.

DA Aquamaster:
An alternative if you own a torque wrench is to get a 1" yoke nut socket and a long reach 6mm allen wrench socket from www.scubatools.com and convert it back and forth to yoke or DIN as needed. Torque the retaining nut to 22 ft lbs.
I can do that! Thanks.

IMHO, I wouldn't advise changing the reg back and forth from yoke to DIN. It's an unecessary hassle, and if you switch a lot it will add wear to your regulator.

With a properly set up tank to BC position, you will not find the small extention of a DIN to Yoke adapter to be a problem on a Scubapro or the others I've used, Zeagle, Apeks, Poseidon, or any other with a male/male DIN part as shown earlier. Also in this Zeagle photo, with the spin on by hand adapter.

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=Regulators&src=gendocs&link=ZXFlatheadVI

Not so early Sherwood and early USD regulators which had a female/male part that really jacked it out there.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom