Why did you do the course with your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
When I signed-up for scuba lessons, I have absolutely no idea. I did my course with a freelance instructor who was referred to by a friend of my friend who invited me to do the class.

In your case, was it something similar?

Of those who walked in a dive center, how many asked around first and talked to different people?

In the end, why did you decide to do the course with your instructor?

My girlfriends father was a cave diver. A couple of the people he dove with were OW instructors. I wanted to start cave diving. He set me up with his friend for my open water. Then another one of the group was a cave instructor, so I took my cave training through him. I am very lucky too, both of them were excellent.

My first instructor (for OW) was a "walk in" for me I had selected the LDS because of location and reputation, I lucked out on the instructor. He and his wife are still dive buddies of mine.

The other instructors I've had have been selected by me based on recommendations, and reputation.

I work at a university. OW (and some other dive courses) are offered through the Continuing Education department. C.E. classes are paid for by the University for employees and their spouses. I went with the instuctor that I did because she is the one hired by the university to teach. I bet alot of you wish your employer would pick up the tab for your SCUBA instruction! Life is rough, isn't it? :) So far, OW, Nitrox and an equipment class. I do hope they have Stress and Rescue soon.

I chose to give my buisness to my LDS. Not for the typical "support your LDS" reason. But simply because my LDS allows their pool to be used for Infant Swim Research, Safety Swim Lessons. My Daughter started when she was 6 mos. old and now I can see gills starting to grow behind her ears. :wink:
So I decided to return the favor. The LDS matched me up with one of their staff instructors and that was all it took.......

It was a walk in. We called a few LSD's and one happenes to be a registered educational institution, so almost every course there can be writen off as education.

Luckily the instructor is superb, and we dive with him often.

Like many new divers, Beast and I pretty much went to the shop closest to us. We were very lucky and got an excellent instructor. That shop was sold shortly after our class so we did the hunt and interview thing to find another shop and instructors.

and have regretted it to this day.

Only one shop in town and I didn't have a clue so I went with them. I got lucky I really had a great instructor but I didn't know it at the time.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom