Why did you do the course with your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my open water with my family who used one of our friends as our instructor. He was/is an excellent instructor and was extremely flexible with our schedules. I used a personal friend of mine for my advanced and rescue certifications where I was able to get private lessons at <b>VERY</b> reasonable prices.

~Adam

When I first got certified I took what was avalable. Took years to learn it all the right way. I'm still at it but I'm out of the whole my original instructors left me in.

It sounded like fun and I wanted to spend more time with the cute girl who was wanted me to tag along. I got certified with her...then I married her...go figure!

I signed up for my OW class to be held at our homeowner's association rec center - classes and pool work to be held about 2 minutes from my house - it was all about convenience. :rolleyes:

It was pure luck that I got a great instructor.

My experience was a little different. Husband and I did a discover scuba at a resort in Cancun when we were there and decided we were hooked on scuba. That brief experience had taught us that that scuba was a complex event and needed to be taught by someone you liked. I had problems in the pool getting used to breathing off the regulator and the guy at my discover scuba was wonderful. His english wasn't the greatest but he was used to dealing with novice tourists so he new all the techniques to make you comfortable in a short period of time.

When we got back home my husband and I called or went to 3 different dive shops to inquire about classes. Only one had a talkative staff person who really seemed interested in answering all our questions. When I explained my previous nervousness and asked about who he thought of their staff instructors would be the best, he gave an honest recommendation as to who I should take class from and who I should avoid. He also highly recommended the 5 week class rather than the weekend which made all the difference in the world.

My OW instructor is still a good friend of my husbands and mine and my husband stayed with him as a student all the way through DM.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

After a trip to Key West with my kids I decided that I was either going to take scuba or sailing lessons. The LDS was closer then the marina.. and I thought at the timescuba would be cheaper :rolleyes:

I got really lucky and the instructors were great!!!!

I've took my AOW and a couple of specialties also through them, but now I think I am outgrowing them. They mainly run through the traditional NAUI program... OW, AOW, Rescue, DM, Instructor. I'm not interested in the teaching side but am more interested in Nitrox, advance nitrox, Trimix etc. All of that means I need to find a new instructor and a new agency... This time I am not going to leave it to chance and I will research and interview several instructors before signing up.

Ty

I was living in Europe and had just backpacked the French Alps and needed some warm weather so I caught a ferry to Malta and decided to try diving. I asked around for the best shop from the locals and they said to talk to this ex Yank who does salvage and teaches on the side. He worked on the Popeye film that was filmed there. Wow, he was an ex seal and did he work me, but I learned so much that I didn't get my AOW until 300 dives later and my Rescue until another 100 dives. I only got those because DM's started to ask me for advanced c-cards for wreck and deep dives off boats. I still show my OW c-card from '84 when they ask though...

Walked into a shop advertising holidays in the window to find out all about it - left having signed up for O/W in the UK before going on holiday!

Lucked out big time - the instructors at this shop are fantastic. To give you an idea nearly every time they send cancidates for IE they get the top student - a couple of years ago they sent 4 to an IE of 40 + and all finished in the top 6 including 1st and 2nd.

My current instructor I got on referral from someone and it turns out he is the IANTD training officer for Japan - again I lucked out to find someone as good as he is that speaks English...

Jonathan

I had wanted to get into diving for many years. Then, on holiday in Cyprus last year the opportunity arose to take a 'try dive'.

The rest is history! The Centre offering the try dives were able to fit the bulk of an OW course into the remaining holiday time (I completed the Open Water dives on a reference to an American Centre).

The instructor was the only one available - and as it turned out an excellent, patient and thoroughly committed individual - coincidentally (?) a professional teacher in another existence.

To advance to the AOW, I took much more time to select an appropriate LDS. However, instructors tend to be 'pot luck'. I've been lucky.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom