Why did you choose your rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I have couple of questions for you guys
1-Why Meg is so special in CCR community compared to other?
2-If no support is available in country for any type of CCR, what rebreather will you guys will recommend, in terms of safety, easy maintenance and parts replacement by users?
3-How much will an eCCR unit and it's complete rig cost?
4-Why do you use a rebreather and how often do you use it? What type of diving you guys in too?

Ok I have couple of questions for you guys
1-Why Meg is so special in CCR community compared to other?
Its a good unit with good support also used by some "government agencies".

2-If no support is available in country for any type of CCR, what rebreather will you guys will recommend, in terms of safety, easy maintenance and parts replacement by users?
rEvo. Independent electronics and you can strip out components and still have a unit you can dive. Dive it mCCR, hCCR, eCCR

3-How much will an eCCR unit and it's complete rig cost?
~$10K with training new or around $5K-7K second hand

4-Why do you use a rebreather and how often do you use it? What type of diving you guys in too?
Extended range diving or gas extension. If you purchase a CCR, might as well dive for all dives it since its chewing up O2 cells sitting in the garage.

That recommendation, coupled with Leon Scamahorn's video eviscerating a Meg at 200ft and it kept running, was enough to convince me to get a Meg.

The Meg's a great unit but he picked his cuts wisely - Pretty much all rebreathers are sunk if the inhale side of the loop was compromised. The revo's lungs are enclosed in a Titanium or Stainless steel cage.

Thanks Jeff!

I was originally inclined to get a Revo, as I dont like the front clutter of counterlungs (like my GEM).

Being a former spec ops guy, I called a former team mate thats now a team commander in Coronado, and he said it in one perfectly simple sentence.

He said "Jeff, if the sh_t hits the fan, you want to be diving a Meg".

That recommendation, coupled with Leon Scamahorn's video eviscerating a Meg at 200ft and it kept running, was enough to convince me to get a Meg.

After just finishing my Mod 1 course on the Meg, I marvel in its design and manufacturing process. Everything is machined, and well thought out. Damned thing is built to far beyond what we need as divers.

I still havent decided if I will only ever dive the Meg again, and forsake my Kiss GEM. They each have their places, each has their pos/negs.

I was originally inclined to get a Revo, as I dont like the front clutter of counterlungs (like my GEM).

Being a former spec ops guy, I called a former team mate thats now a team commander in Coronado, and he said it in one perfectly simple sentence.

He said "Jeff, if the sh_t hits the fan, you want to be diving a Meg".

After just finishing my Mod 1 course on the Meg, I marvel in its design and manufacturing process. Everything is machined, and well thought out. Damned thing is built to far beyond what we need as divers.

I still havent decided if I will only ever dive the Meg again, and forsake my Kiss GEM. They each have their places, each has their pos/negs.
Ughhh... It pains me every time I see this... Jeff, I'll bite that you may have been a Marine in the SEALs... but you said that was for a brief period during the Vietnam War (lets assume you got out in '79). So if your buddy served with you that meant he's been in the Navy for at least 34 years... and still only a 'team commander'? Shouldn't we be talking admiral level by now?
Just tell people that the Meg is the unit you now dive... 'nough said.

I chose the prism 2 because of the prism rep for easy Wob and reliability. Also I use the shearwater in oc and the familiarity with this electronics package also steered me towards the prism. So far I have not been disappointed with mine.

Daru

I recently went through the process of choosing a CCR and for me it was a choice between the rEvo, JJ and Meg.

I ended up going with the rEvo for the benefits of the duel scrubber system, the scrubber monitoring system and the compact size, I just love the general philosophy behind the design.

I have been very impressed with the revo so far it is such a simple unit to set up for diving and clean post diving. Shearwater electronics with the CAN BUS and rMs are awesome. The dual scrubber along with the monitoring system gives me a great deal of confidence. The unit is so simple in design making it a very reliable unit.

I dive the Meg because:

-built like a tank
-rock solid electronics, no lockouts, no deco algorithm..just calibrate & maintain po2
-all machined parts but for T pieces
-flood the loop. swim upside down, you can still breathe and scrubber stays dry.
-choice of radial/axial, and different size scrubbers
-use whatever size tank you want
-beautiful black color scheme

Its a personal choice.

Over the years I tried several rebreathers - the KISS Classic, the Meg, the Prism, and others I can't remember the names of. I always went back to the KISS. I like its simplicity. There are no electronics to go bad. It's simple, manually controlled, and inexpensive. That being said, for the type of diving I do most of the time I was holding out for a rebreather that could easily be used in a sidemount configuration. When KISS introduced the GEM I went with that. What I like about the GEM is it is even simpler. While it's not a CCR (yet), it is an SCR and can be used very efficiently in non-trimix depth dives (I have and do use it to deeper depths, I've had it to 300'). But I like that I don't have to busy myself with injecting O2. If I'm trying to make my way through a tight restriction I just need to keep my breathing steady and easy and it will keep working. While the front mounted counterlungs can be a little obtrusive I've figured out a way to mount them that minimizes this and makes it acceptable. I just recently picked up the KISS GEM Sidekick, also an SCR but should also be available as a CCR sometime in the future and am really liking the simplicity and compactness of this unit. It works well for tight sidemount cave dives. And both of these units were available for under $5000. I'm now diving a KISS Classic with the intent to buy a KISS Spirit by the end of the year. The design of the KISS Spirit is great IMO. The counterlung placement is a first in rebreathers and makes so much sense I can't believe it was never done before. And it's a very light unit. It's price point is also hard to beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom