Why did Horse Collar BC's fade away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to continue to use my horse collars for diving where I am wearing little or no exposure gear and therefore need little or no lead and therefore need to put little or no air into the horse collar BC (to upset my trim). And might enjoy the surface flotation benefits when shore diving with long surface swims.

You are right, I also enjoy how sleek I feel when swimming with the horse collar BC. But can I say it is any different than a small wing, no. And again, even though I do use mine still, I have spent decades trying to minimize and streamline (from the point of simplicity and function, not necessarily hydrodynamics :wink: ) my scuba kits and I while find there is a place for the horse collar it is a small place, a tiny niche.

I really dislike having anything in front of me or under my chin. A cluttered office causes me anxiety and claustrophobia. I was working at a Scubapro shop when the first back inflate wing kit came out (mid 70s). I was there when we got the shipment of goodies. It was always like Christmas day opening all the boxes and inventory and placing the items on the shelf to sell to customers. When we opened the box with the new BI BCs everybody gasped. That is no good, nobody will want this, how can we sell this, dangerous, blah, blah. I grabbed one and told my boss it was mine. Finally, a way to achieve neutral trim, buoyancy assist and nothing in my office to clutter. Never looked back. The wing is the thing but I will keep my horse collar for when the wing rarely is not. A few years back, okay, probably a long time ago, I did a dive that lasted over 4 hours in total, beach to beach, I swam out to the third ledge, 1.4 miles, out of Commercial Blvd Pier in LBTS and I had no BC of any kind. I did have a surface float, do not need no stink'n BC:

My wife just asked me what I was doing and I explained the thread to her. She said, yes, they (horse collars) are now worn on the back. Yes, exactly, a wing is every bit as simple and clean as a horse collar and it is not in front of me getting in the way of my camera or other enterprise. And that is why they faded away. She started out with a Dacor horse collar also because she got my hand me downs, circa 1979.

Graduated to a "comfy and safe" jacket circa 1984ish of which she had several over the intervening years:

And finally now for several years, a VDH 18 wing and plate.

Evolution.

N

This is one of my horsecollars that I like, it big compared to some of the other ones I have, and fits me better, and straps on nice. Has lots of option for inflation. But usually I just orally inflate,
Mainly use it for my russin double hose rig.
But nothing beats a full 3mm and just my Russian double rig,
(no horse collar, no lead)
But not a alot of days of the year I can dive like that.

Attachments

• 20230603_113305.jpg
    20230603_113305.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230603_113202.jpg
    20230603_113202.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
Like dis? The emergency CO2 apparatus appears to me a dead giveaway that it was designed as an emergency life vest, not a diving BC device.

Like dis? The emergency CO2 apparatus appears to me a dead giveaway that it was designed as an emergency life vest, not a diving BC device.

That is not a BC. The Seahorse from SeaTec, for example, has a lanyard pull dump in addition to the use of the inflator hose to dump. The pictured piece does not have a pull lanyard on the valve which appears to be an over pressure valve only, not a dump.

This is a SeaTec, never mind the sewn on Aqua Lung patch. It has a pull shoulder dump and a power inflator as they were called in the day which can be used for dumping air also if needed. And, yes, it has a CO2 cartridge which is plugged with a port plug, not because it is dangerous but to prevent the cartridge from rusting into the mechanism.

I can see a para-rescue diver like John worked as making use of the CO2 inflation on the surface. Pulling the cartridge at depth and it just goes hiss and just dump the gas with either the shoulder dump or the inflator. Just a non-event.

As I stated above, I've been diving long enough that I've tried a lot of different types of buoyancy compensation. All these dives were in Clear Lake, Oregon in the 1970s. The first is when I was using an Aquala dry suit. With a dry suit you really don't need a buoyancy compensator, as the suit itself doesn't compress. I wore a farmer John bottoms, and that did compress a bit, but adding air to the suit compensated for that. I also wore a CO2 inflated vest for surface floatation.

The second concept was put together by Bill Herder of Deep Sea Bill's in Newport, Oregon (he has since passed, and the dive shop is no longer there, really at South Beach). Bill experimented with a back-mounted BCD, but his was built into the back of the wetsuit. If you'll look at the two photos in the middle, the white area on the back of my wetsuit is an inflatable BCD. It was the best, most streamlined back-mount BCD ever developed, made of two layers of sandwiched 1/8 inch foam neoprene, with its own inflator hose. I again always wore a front-mount CO2 vest when in this configuration.

The next of these photos shows me in my front-mount Para-Sea BCD, which I patented. It did allow all the advantages of a front-mount on the surface, with the buoyancy towards the weight belt on the waist when submerged. I still use this BCD.

Finally, there is a photo of Terry Wetzel and Stephen Samo, U.S. Air Force Pararescuemen, using their twin 72s to explore a reef in Okinawa. Note, no wetsuit, not BCD. They are wearing Underarm Life Preservers (LPUs, or life preservers underarm, in military language), which the PJs were required to wear when in the water. They consisted of two folded up bladders, one under each arm, which could be inflated on the surface instantly by CO2 cartridges (25 gram each).

SeaRat

Attachments

• Dry Suit Dive, Clear Lake_edited-1.jpg
    Dry Suit Dive, Clear Lake_edited-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 31
  • John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    John in Clear Lake with Bill Herder's BC.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    John using twin AL 72s in Clear Lake.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 38
  • John's profile in Clear Lake1.jpg
    John's profile in Clear Lake1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
  • PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    PJ Okinawa Dive003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 43

It was a diving BCD also, otherwise there wouth be no need for an overpressure relief valve, and the large diameter oral inflation hose.

CO2 inflator mechanisms were finally pulled off the BCDs when some idiot diver inflated his BCD at depth with CO2, then then tried to breathe off it and died (my understanding, albeit hearsay info).

SeaRat

This might explain why the horse collar lost favor. People today are often, shall I say Plus Sized and would look something like this with a horse collar BC:

They did not come in sizes that I recall. There is no way to make that look cool or sexy :rofl3:.

What's the PVC looking pipe for?
I was diving the AL 72 tanks from U.S. Divers Company (before Aqualung) and they were the infamous “floaters.” It took four 2-pound weights in that PVC pipe to sink and make those tanks neutral In fresh water. These tanks were a true 72 cubic feet at a 2475 psi pressure rating. The weights were ones I already had from a Mar-Vel Pak that used these unique, cylindrical lead weights.

SeaRat

Attachments

• 20230603_184238.jpg
    20230603_184238.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 46
This might explain why the horse collar lost favor. People today are often, shall I say Plus Sized and would look something like this with a horse collar BC:

They did not come in sizes that I recall. There is no way to make that look cool or sexy :rofl3:.
This is not a BCD! This is an airline life vest, and a stewardess is demonstrating (poorly) how to don it. Those were all one size, and not the size of large people. The U.S. Divers Company Went BCD had a large neck opening, and would not look like this.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom