why did GUE , DIR take so long to adopt sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throwing stones Raz.?
You sent me "Back to the pool" for suggesting
my trim weight method for open water, single tank sm.
In another thread.
Just had to laugh, all in good fun!
Thanks, Kevin

I didn't bring that up, Sherlock. Beester did. Please read the thread before commenting on what I said.

But you're the one who got his nose outta joint because I said some 3-hour dives in MX aren't that big of a deal.

Again, Beester brought this up, not me.

Since you apparently cannot find it, please read this at least:

Now I know why you invoked the memory of George Irvine. You aspire to be like him ... you ain't very good at it.

What about being in a cave filled with water hours away from the surface, doing something that could kill you?

Walking across the street can kill you if you don't pay attention to what you're doing. If you aren't prepared to be in a cave filled with water hours away from the surface, then you shouldn't go there. That doesn't make going there a "big deal". It's just a dive.

Reading your posts I get the impression you have a need for self-importance. It's like trying to have a discussion with a petulant child. Maybe when you grow up it won't be such a big deal anymore.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, so some people think it's a good idea to do a 7.5'k cave dive with people you just met. I don't think it's a good idea because it is unnecessary and potentially dangerous. With people I have never dove before I would do a 60 or 90min dive, not a 2.5 km dive. That's all I said.

Now I know why you invoked the memory of George Irvine. You aspire to be like him ... you ain't very good at it.
I don't understand that comment. Am I not being rude enough to strokes on the internet?

Let's play nice......let's pick on PADI instead.

Ok, so some people think it's a good idea to do a 7.5'k cave dive with people you just met. I don't think it's a good idea because it is unnecessary and potentially dangerous. With people I have never dove before I would do a 60 or 90min dive, not a 2.5 km dive. That's all I said.

But I never said a word about 7.5K ... you were telling me how wrong I was for saying some 3-hour dives in MX caves weren't a big deal. So let's get specific ... Pet Cemetery to the Blue Abyss. Average depth maybe 25 feet. As I recall, two jumps ... maybe three. It's a pretty well-travelled route. Just shy of three hours if you're like me and like to go slow and enjoy the spectacular scenery. How bad-ass is that dive?

I don't understand that comment. Am I not being rude enough to strokes on the internet?

I think you're just being a drama queen, actually ....

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

But I never said a word about 7.5K ...
You chimed in on a discussion about that a 7.5'k dive with an unknown person. You didn't even understand that quote of mine that you commented on.

As I recall, two jumps ... maybe three....well-travelled route.
I see, like a 'well know circuit' and 2 or three jumps, but hey, only drama queens are countin', right?

How bad-ass is that dive?
To do this with somebody you don't know is not bad-ass, it's stupid.

I get it now, a three hour cave dive is nothing to you (and I'm the chest thumper:rolleyes:, makes sense). I disagree, now leave me alone with your BS, there're lots of threads you need to comment on... oh wait, no, I'm the self-important child.

Last edited:
I think this thread has definitely veered off topic, but hey, that's the internet.

Every cave dive and deco dive should be considered a big deal. Otherwise complacency sets in. Or worse yet, some idiot reads on the internet that a 3 hour cave dive in Mexico is not a big deal and decides to go try it without any training.

It's up to you who you decide to dive with or not. That's called personal choice. In a cave, whether 3 minutes or 3 hours, I'm definitely picky. My buddy is part of the system that I depend on to haul my ass out of there if the crap hits the fan. Standardized training helps, but I'm more worried about the temperament and situational awareness of the divers that I'm with.

You chimed in on a discussion about that a 7.5'k dive with an unknown person. You didn't even understand that quote of mine that you commented on.

I see, like a 'well know circuit' and 2 or three jumps, but hey, only drama queens are countin', right?

You have a short memory ... or maybe you just enjoy bashing people on the internet. But you're wrong. Let me quote you the post ... your words ... that I responded to. Read them carefully, and show me where in there you said anything about a 7.5k dive. These are YOUR words ...

I hope you're kidding. Doing 'bigger' cave dives with unknowns is just irresponsible. There is no reason why you wouldn't do smaller dive fist to get to know someone first.

Sometimes I get the feeling people don't take cave and deco diving seriously enough.

Doing unknown circuits, starting deco training at 30 dives, doing muti-hour cave dives with people you don't know... stuff like this seem to be OK for some people on this forum... I think it's just stupid and unnecessary. Whatever happened to building experience over years and conservative planning? I guess these day everybody what's to be a tec-deep-rebreather-cave-dpv diver within 2 years and do 3 hour dives with people they just meet on some parking lot on while on vacation in Mexico.

to which I responded that sometimes, in MX, a 3-hour dive isn't that big of a deal ... and that in some cases it won't even put you in deco. Now go back and read your own words and see if you can figure out which sentences, specifically, I was referring to. I've given you a specific example of what I was referring to. Have you ever done that dive? I get the impression you haven't ... in which case you don't know WTF you're talking about. And by the way, it's not a circuit ... so I don't understand why you keep bringing that into the discussion.

To do this with somebody you don't know is not bad-ass, it's stupid.

I never said I did it with somebody I didn't know. I said I did it with someone I had just met on that trip. It wasn't our first dive of the trip, and after a couple of earlier dives I knew this particular dive buddy well enough to be comfortable that he knew what he was doing. In point of fact, he has considerable experience ... more than me. And we'd both done the dive before.

I also never said it was bad-ass. I said it wasn't a big deal. You're quite good at claiming others said things they never said. It doesn't do much for your credibility.

You can call me stupid if you like. Your opinion doesn't mean sh!t to me ... in fact, it's your style more than your substance that would make people like me brush off anything you say as not worth listening to.

I get it now, a three hour cave dive is nothing to you (and I'm the chest thumper:rolleyes:, makes sense).

I never said it was nothing ... I said it wasn't a big deal.

I disagree, now leave me alone with your BS, there're lots of threads you need to comment on... oh wait, no, I'm the self-important child.

Sure, I'll happily drop this ... personally I think it's a waste of time. But I won't let you get away with claiming I said things I never said.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every cave dive and deco dive should be considered a big deal. Otherwise complacency sets in. Or worse yet, some idiot reads on the internet that a 3 hour cave dive in Mexico is not a big deal and decides to go try it without any training.
Perhaps it's semantics, but I disagree. Complacency has no place in scuba diving ... not even on a 20-foot reef dive. And I'm not here to protect idiots from their own poor decisions.

It's up to you who you decide to dive with or not. That's called personal choice. In a cave, whether 3 minutes or 3 hours, I'm definitely picky. My buddy is part of the system that I depend on to haul my ass out of there if the crap hits the fan. Standardized training helps, but I'm more worried about the temperament and situational awareness of the divers that I'm with.
Yes, I agree ... it's called personal choice. We're all different. We all dive for our own reasons, make our own choices about training, equipment, preparation, and risk management. There's more than one way to do it. And just because someone else makes those personal choices in a manner that differs from yours doesn't make them stupid. I get tired of the rhetoric and chest-thumping. Sometimes it's entertaining ... but it's the worst part about going to places like Gainseville or Tulum. Makes me glad I don't have to live in those places and deal with the egos and politics on a regular basis.

But you're right, this conversation has veered off-topic. In fact, the original topic has long since been forgotten.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom