Why can't you store gear near sources of combustion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've have always read and heard that, but I am unsure what type of damage it can cause and why. I ask because I have been storing my gear in my garage (no sources of combustion) but need to relocate it to some part of my basement (which is subdivided somewhat, but does contain the oil fired furnace). Would building a closet in that area with a relatively sealed door be ok?

Is it that the byproducts of combustion are damaging to neoprene, silicone, and latex, etc? And how much exposure is bad? Are the effects real or just potential?

As the years are passing the amount of gear is growing and so is the need for storage!

Anyway, any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Combustion generates a cocktail of vaporous products that chemically attacks many of the resilient materials used on diving gear. Vehicles not only produce combustion byproducts that linger in your garage, but also off-gas fumes from fuel and lubricants. To make matters worse, the DC electric motors produce ozone which also attacks these materials.

Latex used on drysuit wrist and neck seals are especially sensitive. Silicon is probably the least effected. Other sources of harmful vapors common in garages include:
  • Stored chemicals like paint thinner, acetone, and some household cleaners
  • Oil, natural gas, and propane fired water heaters, dryers, boilers, and furnaces
  • Brush style electric motors (ozone)

Heat can also degrade these materials in hot climates. How long to cause damage that you can detect is huge variable. Store cylinders and weight belts in the garage and try to locate all products with resilient material elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Well, if I had to store items in areas such as the basement, would storing them in relatively sealed (ie, rubbermaid) containers be a way to minimize exposure, or do these vapors penetrate them as well?

Would have to say I never new that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom