Why aren’t there any German regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just curious?
Why aren’t there any German made regs out there?
Unless I’m missing something.
I would think as mechanically and technically minded as the Germans are they could make an outstanding regulator.
The closest thing I suppose would be the Swedish stuff.

Just curious?
Why aren’t there any German made regs out there?
Unless I’m missing something.
I would think as mechanically and technically minded as the Germans are they could make an outstanding regulator.
The closest thing I suppose would be the Swedish stuff.

Many Germans are divers.

The Germans are interested in larger markets. They do well there.

Many Germans are divers.

The Germans are interested in larger markets. They do well there.
So what are the names of the brands they have? What do they look like?
Anything innovative?

Dräger made Scuba regulators in the 1950s and maybe the 60s but their main business has always been medical and safety equipment. The diving parts of their business are relatively tiny. My guess is they didn't have the interest in the boardroom or the distribution network to compete with the US, French, and Italian companies. You also have to remember that the manufacturing infrastructure was trashed after the war when the old-line diving equipment companies got started.

One of the reasons the US did well from the beginning was there was a lot of excess manufacturing capacity looking for markets after the war. Germany also didn't have very good local diving for a core groups of dedicated diving finatics to develop.

The Germans are not interested in the very small diving market.

They are doing very well with cars and other products however.

Some niche players perhaps, no big SCUBA manufacturers in Deutschland.

The Germans are not interested in the very small diving market.

They are doing very well with cars and other products however.

Some niche players perhaps, no big SCUBA manufacturers in Deutschland.
Ok I see what you mean now. I miss understood your first reply.
They also do well with high quality household appliances like vacuums.
My wife came home with a $1000 German made vacuum and I about crapped my pants. But it is a very nice vacuum and I’m sure it will last many years.
You know what they say, happy wife happy life.

I suppose the reason the Swedes make great regulators is because they have a very long relationship with the sea and exploration. Being mariners is in their DNA, and going under the waves seems like a natural progression from going over the waves.

Reactions: mdb
you ever try to replace anything on a newer vw group vehicle? even the simplest little things are buried so goddamn deep in the engine bay

a german reg would somehow end up needing you to completely disassemble the first stage to replace the lp hose orings

Back
Top Bottom