Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recent threads about the state of affairs of scuba training, whether and how “the scuba industry” might try to attract new divers, and what impact the dynamic of upselling new/existing divers on gear and training as the main source of revenue (since there are fewer new divers) might have on the scuba diving industry overall.

With no single voice trying to drive interest and demand for scuba diving, we are left with the various manufacturers, agencies, shops, boats, resorts, instructors, etc (and their individual, often conflicting messaging) in a desperate fight for the handful of people who have come to their own conclusion – for whatever reason – that they want to be a scuba diver.

To examine whether this approach has fostered a compelling value proposition that is attractive – or repulsive – from the potential new diver's point of view I present…

Monty Python’s “The Dive Industry Sketch”

Lol...reminds me of LDS owner in Karachi, Pakistan. I came to the point of quitting on diving. Luckily I came across a great mentor! :)

Fixed it for you.

I know you will think I'm being a smart ass but this level/type of objectivity is critical:

• ScubaBoard membership represents a small fraction of the global population of (English-speaking) divers
  • Active members of ScubBoard at any time represent a tiny fraction of all ScubaBoard members
  • People who post on ScubaBoard represent a fraction of active ScubaBoard members
  • People who have posted in threads about dive magazines represent an exceedingly small fraction of people who post on ScubaBoard
  • Most of that exceedingly tiny fraction of that small portion, of a tiny fraction, of a small fraction, of a small fraction have stated that they they think dive magazines are advertising platforms
  • Some of the people who have stated that belief... actually DO believe it. Some of those who have stated that they believe that, either do not actually believed that or have no real opinion, but state that they do believe that, because that is considered the socially acceptable/encouraged thing to post on ScubaBoard.
  • Many of those who DO actually believe that diving magazines are advertising platforms... still respond to the advertising in such magazines.

One more addition to RJP's Excellent list..

The majority of people who post on Scuba Board are from the US/Canada thus opinions/viewpoints are heavily weighted to experiences of diving and the industry there, when in fact there is a big old world outside of the American Continent - thus making the opinions expressed on the forums here representing an infinitesimally small fraction of worldwide divers from all agencies :wink:

Hard to believe this thread is still ongoing.

People don't take up scuba diving because they just don't want to dive. They have better things to do. Yes, better things than diving.

If you want more people in the sport, you could try handcuffing them and dragging them in the water at gunpoint...but that might not end well either.

Yes, there are people who don't dive "because they just don't want to dive" but there is a large proportion of people who don't dive "because they just don't know that they want to."

Marketing is about identifying the second group... and speaking to them.

Last edited:
Don't do that!:D

---------- Post added December 30th, 2013 at 11:37 PM ----------

I think some of the problem might be tight fisted divers.
I'm spending some vacation time in Florida with my kids; Destin area.

I stopped by a dive shop, just to check it out. While there, I asked about their boat schedule.
The guy told me that it was $90 for a two-tank boat dive. He saw the shocked look on my face....and then I asked....
..."Are you kidding me??.....It's only $90 for a two-tank boat dive?"

That's so cheap! What a deal. I don't see how the boat operation is making much money on that price.
I wish it was that cheap back in Japan.

He told me that many divers in the area acted like it was too much. :confused:

With a customer base that isn't willing to spend money, it's no surprise that many shops struggle.

You must have a pretty solid income to pay the cost of living in Japan with a family, scuba, and vacation to Florida while considering a $90 boat dive to be a bargain.

I'm a pretty good bargain hunter and I have had to shuck and jive every which way I can just to make scuba (the way I want to do it, with the kind of equipment I want to use) affordable at all. For example, I've taken advantage of online vendors and scubaboard's marketplace. Several times, I've bought equipment off of craigslist, or from the US via ebay, and resold it locally or bartered it to my LDS for services or fills.

Now that I have all my own gear together I'm about to start boat diving, and even with a price tag that I'm sure you would consider cheap indeed (2 single-tank dives in Howe Sound for $65), I'll have to rein myself in to one trip every month or so in order to meet my other expenses (though I still do all the shore diving I can).

My point is, for Millenials like myself trying to make it in the current job market, the financial investment required to dive regularly while paying sticker price for everything is becoming less and less feasible. I make every effort to support my local shops, but sometimes they have to lose out on my business just so I can stay in the game and return to patronize them later.

Reactions: RJP
I make my sacrifices to check the blocks I need to check, and still do the things I like to do. Such as time at sea or Afghanistan. I'll be headed back in a few weeks; so no diving for me for a few months. It's not all rainbows and kittens. I have to leave home and travel to get paid, so I do. Especially in a sketchy economy.

I'm just a blue collar guy that figured out a way to make a good living, thanks to some great advice. Along with that.......just a little bit of luck, and a lot of hustle.

I received good advice and followed it, while in Iraq in 1991.

My point was, that to expect a boat operation to take divers out for two dives on their boat for less than $90 isn't realistic.
The boat operator has to pay fuel, slip fees, and other associated costs of doing business.

I think $90 for a two tank boat dive is a great deal. I don't see how a business can survive by doing it cheaper.

Two tank dives out of Kona, Hawai'i are typically $130.

When I did my cave diving training in Florida, it was within a year of diving off of Kona. I looked at my total expenses for the two experiences (routine recreational reef dives and intense cave training) and realized I was paying about the same for each on a daily basis. Cave training is the best bargain I ever encountered in scuba.

... though I still do all the shore diving I can ...

Locus,

I think you've stumbled onto something! I, myself, caught the diving bug when I was a graduate student. Talk about strapped for cash! Thank goodness that central Missouri has *many* "nearby" freshwater lakes and water-filled quarries! Air, gasoline, and PBJ's (and, sometimes, camping fees) were all we paid for during many, many dive outings. Take advantage of your shore diving, and enjoy!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Reactions: RJP
Blame demographics and a bad economy. Younger people are facing much higher education costs and worse job prospects resulting in less disposable income than they had years ago. This is especially bad compared to the baby boomers. You see this occurring with all outdoor recreational activities.

You see this occurring with all outdoor recreational activities.

Dunno about that. I ride my bike all over god's green apple, and I see no shortage of $5,000 bikes. I see plenty of hiking/camping/kayaking stores... and good luck getting a tee-time around here.

VERY true with cycling. It can make most other sports seem cheap!
Spend too much time around cyclist, and in bike shops, and it will distort your view on what "affordable" is. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom