Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunno about that. I ride my bike all over god's green apple, and I see no shortage of $5,000 bikes. I see plenty of hiking/camping/kayaking stores... and good luck getting a tee-time around here.

And the median home price in your area of NJ is what? (Or is "god's green apple" the whole US?)

Call me Captain Obvious, but I think we have to look at this question as an average over the whole US (or world, as some have suggested).

Another reason many guys don't dive is because they are married.

Seriously, I hear "My wife......this", or "My wife...that"..."My wife....blah,blah,blah" as part of most statements when people say they can't go diving. They are like kids on restriction. :confused:

It's not that "The economy" is bad.

It because their "personal" economy is so poorly managed. Often related to the, "my wife" statements they make.

I do hear this VERY often from people. Their wives are the most expensive thing in their lives.

Seriously, I hear "My wife......this", or "My wife...that"..."My wife....blah,blah,blah" as part of most statements when people say they can't go diving. They are like kids on restriction. :confused:

It's not that "The economy" is bad.

It because their "personal" economy is so poorly managed. Often related to the, "my wife" statements they make.

I do hear this VERY often from people. Their wives are the most expensive thing in their lives.
Guys who are married have responsibilities. They have homes; they have children; they have debts. They probably have a wife who works full-time also, and has the major responsibility for the kids and the house. There are times in a "guys" life when he has to man up and recognize that he is an adult and not an old teenager. Adults take care of their families first. If I were a mom with kids (school, illnesses, lessons, sports, etc.) and my husband wanted to take off weekends to dive with the guys, I'd probably sabotage his equipment.

I would not have married my wife if she had not been a diver. She is my dive buddy for life.

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But back in my dating years, I gave divers extra points.

Guys who are married have responsibilities. They have homes; they have children; they have debts. They probably have a wife who works full-time also, and has the major responsibility for the kids and the house. There are times in a "guys" life when he has to man up and recognize that he is an adult and not an old teenager. Adults take care of their families first. If I were a mom with kids (school, illnesses, lessons, sports, etc.) and my husband wanted to take off weekends to dive with the guys, I'd probably sabotage his equipment.

Yes we do....and then some.

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

Guys who are married ..................... they have debts.

Indeed.....many do.
As I already posted....."because their "personal" economy is so poorly managed."
It's important to choose wisely.:wink:

---------- Post added January 10th, 2014 at 01:19 PM ----------

------------------------------------------
My post was based on my personal observation.........If you hear a man preface his statement with...."My wife....."
You can pretty much count him out of any diving plans.
This is based on what I have seen, in terms of last minute cancelled plans.

It happens ALL the time.

I am replying to the thread title; apologies if I have offended you.

Last edited:

Seriously, I hear "My wife......this", or "My wife...that"..."My wife....blah,blah,blah" as part of most statements when people say they can't go diving. They are like kids on restriction.

I agree, but I've noticed women can suffer the same constraints from jealous husbands. Since the majority of divers are male, from what others have said, we'll hear it more from men even if the %'s are the same.

The locations may be a factor. It's not that rare for a hunter to leave his wife home heading off on an extended hunting trip for some sort of deer (e.g.: white-tail, elk, moose, etc...). But you don't hunt elk in exotic tropical Caribbean ocean-front resorts. And I suspect some women who don't dive may picture something along the lines of the cast of Baywatch jogging and jostling up & down scenic sandy beaches.

Instead of divers exiting Bonaire shore diving sites looking away from each other while everyone tries to clear the snot build-up from the dive, looking more like wetsuit wearing creatures from the black lagoon in their gear than Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson.

Plus deer hunting attire is not form-fitting like wet suits and bikinis.

Richard.

I never post, but I do read a lot here. Just thought the OP should know that this is exactly why I am turned off about brick and mortar and only shop the internet. I am a semi new diver and can say first hand that my experience with the local dive shops in north east Ohio have been exactly what was posted and worse.
Owners who call your gear junk because it isn't the brand they stock. Arrogant know it all's who feel that they should look down the bridge of their noses at you because you have less dive time than them. Who chastise you because you found a better price online only to have them beat you out of your money for everything you buy. Holding you hostage by fear mongering and supply and demand, then using it to force their views down your throat. Pretending to offer a "Fun time" only if you buy into their systems... Just sad.

***Wanted*** Local dive shop owner who cares about his patrons!

-end rant, going back in the shadow depths of my puddle.
I got certed in NE Ohio, and haven't bothered with a traditional shop yet. The guy I used is a one man shop/instructor. He (Dan) has a compressor, and I have all my own gear now. He's very straightforward. I asked him for gear advice, and seeing what he could get and if he could match the price (explaining I can't afford to pay double locally). Dan laughed and told me to buy it online and that there was no ill will; he completely understands you can't pay more than you need. It's a second job/hobby for him, so he is all about the fun aspect. I highly recommend him for certification, and as an all around awesome dude to hang out with. I'll be doing my AOW with him next summer, and will probably tag along with his trips as they happen.

Here's the site:
Dan's SCUBA - Certified PADI SCUBA diving, equipment, travel serving Cleveland, Akron, Cuyahoga, Summit and Portage Counties

And the median home price in your area of NJ is what?

Immaterial.

The point I was making is that even where I live - Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon counties comprise three of the ten wealthiest counties in the US - few people dive. You would think that if money was the key driver there'd be lots of divers where's there's lots of noney.

Or is "god's green apple" the whole US?)

A fair bit of the US, actually.

That being said, a great many people who cycle where I live come from more densly populated areas of NJ and even NY because the roads out here have far less traffic... and far more hills. Come to any of the local areas where people drive in and park with a bike on the roof of a car that's worth about half of what the bike is worth.

Last edited:
The point I was making is that even where I live - Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon counties comprise three of the ten wealthiest counties in the US - few people dive. You would think that if money was the key driver there'd be lots of divers where's there's lots of noney.

Ah, I did miss your point.

Anyway, how do you know how many divers live in your area? My guess is that well-heeled NJ divers don't dive locally.

I think I'll bow out of this thread for a while. It's an interesting question, but nobody seems to have any new insights on it--the obvious issues have been mentioned.

Anyway, how do you know how many divers live in your area? My guess is that well-heeled NJ divers don't dive locally.

Some do. Some don't. I'm also an active DM at my LDS - one of the largest in the area, smack in the middle of the "wealth belt" - so while that doesn't give "perfect information" it's likely as good a source of insight as any.

Back
Top Bottom