Why aren't more people taking up scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this thread, we can't even agree on the target audience (e.g.: poor local divers needing cheap gear rentals vs. more affluent middle class+ types who can afford a couple of Caribbean dive vacations per year from the central & northern U.S.), much less how to reach them. And we think in terms of how PADI, a big training agency, might reach out.

Any idea what's happening to scuba in Britain, where the club model via BSAC is, if I understand correctly, the main way scuba is propagated?

Richard.

It is not about income level it is about discretionary income. Just like golf scuba has seen a drop of in spending since 2005 because disposable income has dropped across all income levels.

Discretionary income is disposable income (after-tax income), minus all payments that are necessary to meet current bills. It is total personal income after subtracting taxes and typical expenses (such as rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, medical, tithe, transportation, property maintenance, child support, food and sundries, etc.) to maintain a certain standard of living. Thx Wikipedia

You do not need to make $200k per year to dive... There are divers making $20k per year and ones making a lot more than me. But a guy that was making $1m per year goes down to $500k per year will golf a little less causing many golf courses to go out of business. Same with scuba, might mean one less vacation a year, keeping gear longer etc. The $20k a year guy may skip an annual vacation and dive local etc.

Scuba has some unique traits that have in common with other sports like golf, camping, rock climbing, skydiving, motor biking. The love of outdoors, most are quiet or calming (not motor cross) most have a community or comrodery. PADI should be promoting diving. The Boy Scouts of America are promoting diving there is a scuba merit badge to encourage new divers. PADI only seams to advertise for continuing ed or going pro. I see a lot of Padi adds in dive mag, and scuba trade shows. But where is the Advertising saying try scuba?

Maybe scuba will get so marginalized that it will become all but forgotten. Then one day some young person will "discover" scuba (again) and it will become the latest greatest thing.

Maybe scuba will get so marginalized that it will become all but forgotten. Then one day some young person will "discover" scuba (again) and it will become the latest greatest thing.

I hope that is not true... How long did it take for bell bottoms to make a comeback.

A few years ago in one of these endless discussions on the future of diving, one of the old timers said he longed for the good old days when he was lugging tanks on the backs of mules through a jungle to get to the dive site. He was happy then, and he would be happy if it were that way in the future.

People with the money and ability to have a compressor in the garage and to service all their own gear will be happy with that sort of thing as well.

I'm guessing those people are not in the majority, though.

A few years ago in one of these endless discussions on the future of diving, one of the old timers said he longed for the good old days when he was lugging tanks on the backs of mules through a jungle to get to the dive site. He was happy then, and he would be happy if it were that way in the future.

People with the money and ability to have a compressor in the garage and to service all their own gear will be happy with that sort of thing as well.

I'm guessing those people are not in the majority, though.

lol... That same old timer would most likely complain about diving pressure on reef and wildlife but would complane about new artificial reefs and sunken ships... I'm sure if he wants to carry tanks on mules to some obscure remote site he can still do it... Assuming he can still get his scuba unit on by himself.

There's a lot of 'meat' in that paragraph. I wonder just what it is that appealed to the old timer about that, considering that he could probably dive the same places today, and do it the same way if so inclined (assuming you can rent a mule?).

1.) Is it because he was 'getting to do something special?' Engaging an experience hardly anyone else got to do?

2.) Is it because it was remote and difficult and most people wouldn't know of it, or wouldn't be willing to persevere through the hardships to get there? In which case perhaps going on such a trip validated him as a person, a man, an adventurer, etc… Some people like their adventure with a sense of daring and exclusivity.

3.) Is it the potential risk? Being far from hospitals and roads, having to be 'self-sufficient,' that sort of thing? Again, a self-validation issue?

This is an interesting angle. In terms of the psychology of the customer base one might market to, some questions come up...

1.) What do you think 'being a diver' says about a person?

2.) What do you believe being a diver says about you?

3.) How do you believe you are different, being a diver, than you would be if you had never gotten into diving?

Perhaps if you could target your marketing pitch whatever that quality is?

Richard.

Reactions: RJP
I'm just woncdering what the natural participation level is of the sport is aside of the pumping, advertising, promoting, etc. When the sport first started participants were people who were probably naturals to water related activities and easily gravitated towards diving for one reason or another.
Then through mass promotional campaigns in various ways, it led to many more people participating who maybe never really would naturally have gravitated to such an activity without some sort of push.
So now with many things that have diverted the attention away from many leisure sports such as economic downturns, shift in interests, etc., we are once again left with a small group of dedicated individuals who dive as a lifestyle and have chosen to drop (if they have to) other things besides diving to make ends meet.
I'm wondering if the diving world has more or less active participants relative to the overall population now or in the past? Or is it about the same?
Are there more or less people who naturally gravitate to water activities?
And if it's less, then why?
Is it a function of social trends or is it an evolutionary trend for people to move away from aqua towards terra?
Yes there's the money thing, but people have to have an interest enough to investigate the sport to begin with in order to find out about the economics of diving. I don't see them even getting that far.

Last edited:
I wonder what the current level of interest is with water sports? I grew up in Southern California and swimming , beach-going, body surfing, surfing, snorkeling, and for me, water polo, was a way of life. It was a natural extension when I was offered the opportunity for scuba diving at the age of 15 with the LA County Underwater Unit. Once certified, I had unlimited, inexpensive options to continue diving off the shore in LA, Orange, and San Diego Counties. I could even splurge and take the ferry over to Catalina for the day. I was hooked for life and, after a brief respite, continued diving with my son, and then with my wife and daughter.

Today, diving is a major investment of money, equipment and dive access, as well as a major investment in time. I wonder, with so many forms of instant gratification, whether scuba diving has any chance to compete. I was responsible for my children's entry and then enjoyment of diving, who will be responsible for the next generation?

Back
Top Bottom