Why are women going tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did it the same reason anyone does it, but the weight of the equipment is a bear - no getting around it. I can stagger around in full kit, but lifting my doubles off the ground onto a bench or into the car is not easy. I have let my gym work slide, so I take a lot of responsibility for that. Between that and my clumsiness, where I trip and fall over the smallest pebble on the ground, I think side mount will eventually be the way to go. Probably do less damage falling with a single tank on the way down to the water than I would in doubles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started down the road to tech diving because I wanted to dive the deeper wrecks off the MD coast. I definitely went to the gym so I could get back on the boat with big, heavy doubles - then I got a rebreather that didn't weigh much more than a single. Now I have a job where I dive almost every day, but don't have time to do much non-work related diving.

Dealing with the weight of heavy doubles is a problem for a lot of people, regardless of gender. Getting my steel 108 doubles into the back of my car is a real effort for me. It helps to make good use of the right place for getting fills. Here are two ways to do it that work well for me.

• The place where I got them filled most recently in High Springs, Florida, has an outdoor hookup. I placed my doubles in the back of the SUV with the valves by the door and just backed up to the station for the fill.
  • If you back down the driveway at Cave Adventurers in Marianna, Florida, what you do is chat with Edd briefly, point to the tanks, and then watch as he pulls them out like they were styrofoam.

The easiest way for me to move my twins around is on my back. if i need to get them filled, backplate goes on, they get hoisted onto a chair, then onto my back and into the car. put back on once i arrive at my lds and into the shop i go. i can pick them up and get them on a bench or into my car, but i don't like to. if twinsets need to be lifted from the ground to any sort of height, we tend to make it a two person lift (male and female alike).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom