Why are we so mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like this picture ... taken at one of our local club dives last year ... can you guess which one is the GUE trained diver? Not that anyone who was there particularly cared ...

threeamigos.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Duh! The guy in black, of course!

:giggle:

I am not DIR but feel compelled to comment, I think this post applies to all in the scuba world. Pete hit the nail squarely about us needing to be ambassadors of our sport, I understand and and sometimes agree with the humor approach to answering questions on posts. We probably should look to these newer divers as the future of our sport and congratulate them on new kit and perhaps point out little ways of improving. The jist I am taking away from what the OP posted is not directly related to the inflater hose length posts but we should, as a community welcome the questions ( however many times we have seen them) and answer remembering that it is text, maybe a pic and it is hard to get the jist of "I was trying to be funny". Very few on here have ever posted anything that upset me, I am pretty thick skinned and human. I have learned alot from the "Scuboardians" ( I like that term. BTW.) and have often felt the hostility in posts. I enjoy diving with any and all divers, some I will just carry a pony with me when I dive with them... or maybe even a spare air? Just kidding. When someone new posts a question in an area that it probably would be better to post in a different area, don't ridicule and beat them up, we need to keep divers diving. Point them in the direction the should post and move on. I believe that many newer divers come here to keep the fire going during long surface intervals and would be better served by less as stated by TNRONIN " asshats" . I intend to keep that in mind when I post in the future.
You are now returned to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Reactions: Jax
I like this picture ... taken at one of our local club dives last year ... can you guess which one is the GUE trained diver? Not that anyone who was there particularly cared ...

threeamigos.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am inclined to say the fellow front right without the hoses going every which way. However, knowing your crafty ways, probably the RB diver with the his mask on backwards...

Why are we so mean? I have an answer and I am sure some of you will dissagree, but it's my theory.

I think some people on the internet and forums like this use names that are not their own so they can be anonymous. The anonymity of the internet allows people to be someone else, someone that is different than their real personality. There is a country song about it for Pete's sake (Sorry Pete). People can be as mean as they want and not get personally attacked in return.

This is kind of a pet peave of mine. This is why my ID is my name. You get me when I am on-line, no alternate personality, just me. If I criticize, it is from me and I hope it is constructive. If I get a flame from someone that doesn't use their name, it is something to be ignored, because they do not have the courage to stand behind their words.

I don't use my real name ... but everybody knows what it is anyway. Lots of folks even know what I look like. I have, many times, had complete strangers walk up to me and say "are you NWGratefulDiver from ScubaBoard?"

Scary ... well ... except for the time that person was ScubaSam ... then it was delightful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't use my real name ... but everybody knows what it is anyway. Lots of folks even know what I look like. I have, many times, had complete strangers walk up to me and say "are you NWGratefulDiver from ScubaBoard?"

Scary ... well ... except for the time that person was ScubaSam ... then it was delightful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You may achieve some anonymity by spelling your name backwards. :crafty:

Revid Lufetarg ????

... boB

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well I dunno your name mr. fancy pants

well I dunno your name mr. fancy pants

... click the link in my sig line ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful "fancy pants" Diver)

threeamigos.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I remember that dive from another angle? And I think based on head-size I might be the diver directly above the single tank diver's head...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom