Why are the divers on "Shark Week" so sloppy/crappy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slight change of topic, on shark week, when the narrator makes something very scary and dangerous sounding there is always a camera shot from underwater, under the sharks to the boat. Or the other shot, where someone is in a cage and the camera shot is from outside.

Do these cameramen have shark proof suits?
Are they in a cage?
Are they in a sub?
What keeps them safe?

I do not think so!

A few years ago, someone posted in CDF that they were looking for cave divers for a TV project. The divers had to have "big personalities." Two of the biggest personalities I knew also happened to be GUE instructors -- Ed Hayes and Bob Sherwood. I copied their resumes from the GUE site and sent in some photos of us diving together. We were contacted by a production company, did Skype screen tests, and were hired to shoot a series for H2 called "Ghost Town Divers." Both our producer and DP producer were divers. They said that watching us underwater was incredible. They'd never seen anything like it. But, watching us hold still and propel efficiently was boring for TV. They wanted us to flail around, fin a lot, and create drama. During the pilot episode, it took about 20 minutes to get Ed's manifold impaled by a tree limb and rescue him. First, we had to find the tree, then find a branch that would fit through the space between the cylinders and crossbar, then we had to find one that wouldn't break, etc. Even when they get divers who can dive well in front of the cameras, they don't want to show the public quality scuba diving. It's rare. I've seen it on the WKPP Britannic expedition documentary and here and there. But, as AJ pointed out, most divers are not that skilled. Here is a sizzle reel from our show after we tried to look bad:

By the way, we were doing "deep, dark, and dangerous" diving in 12 feet of water. I think our max depth was 40 once when we needed to find good visibility for scooter shots. I filmed most of it underwater along with a second cameraman who wasn't part of the cast.

Last edited:
Sea_Hunt_s01e03_safety_rules.gif

Reactions: Doc
Slight change of topic, on shark week, when the narrator makes something very scary and dangerous sounding there is always a camera shot from underwater, under the sharks to the boat. Or the other shot, where someone is in a cage and the camera shot is from outside.

Do these cameramen have shark proof suits?
Are they in a cage?
Are they in a sub?
What keeps them safe?

I do not think so!

I have taken part in filming sharks for documentaries and only the "talent" in front of the cameras wore shark suits. I used to date Cristina Zenato who is an amazing diver (she was trained by Tyler Moon and the original GUE cave instructors) and she is an NSS-CDS cave instructor. Cristina and the guests she invites to feed sharks with her need to wear protection because they are exposed to fish oils, juices, etc., while reaching into the container to get the fish. The crew wears only wetsuits. I was moved from crew to on camera for a documentary, but because I wasn't feeding, I could handle sharks while wearing only my wetsuit.

I have taken part in filming sharks for documentaries and only the "talent" in front of the cameras wore shark suits. I used to date Cristina Zenato who is an amazing diver (she was trained by Tyler Moon and the original GUE cave instructors) and she is an NSS-CDS cave instructor. Cristina and the guests she invites to feed sharks with her need to wear protection because they are exposed to fish oils, juices, etc., while reaching into the container to get the fish. The crew wears only wetsuits. I was moved from crew to on camera for a documentary, but because I wasn't feeding, I could handle sharks while wearing only my wetsuit.

Neat trailer. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I feel much better now. I still can't stand to look at Shark Week!......but, I feel better about it...

Last edited:
I saw one of the shows today. The divers we’re definitely flailing and the neutral buoyancy turtle would certainly not approve! I’m reminded of Cooper’s Treasure last year where they claimed to dive to 200’ and looked to have nothing more than a single steel. Regardless of the validity of his claim... idiots!

A few years ago, someone posted in CDF that they were looking for cave divers for a TV project. The divers had to have "big personalities." Two of the biggest personalities I knew also happened to be GUE instructors -- Ed Hayes and Bob Sherwood. I copied their resumes from the GUE site and sent in some photos of us diving together. We were contacted by a production company, did Skype screen tests, and were hired to shoot a series for H2 called "Ghost Town Divers." Both our producer and DP producer were divers. They said that watching us underwater was incredible. They'd never seen anything like it. But, watching us hold still and propel efficiently was boring for TV. They wanted us to flail around, fin a lot, and create drama. During the pilot episode, it took about 20 minutes to get Ed's manifold impaled by a tree limb and rescue him. First, we had to find the tree, then find a branch that would fit through the space between the cylinders and crossbar, then we had to find one that wouldn't break, etc. Even when they get divers who can dive well in front of the cameras, they don't want to show the public quality scuba diving. It's rare. I've seen it on the WKPP Britannic expedition documentary and here and there. But, as AJ pointed out, most divers are not that skilled. Here is a sizzle reel from our show after we tried to look bad:

By the way, we were doing "deep, dark, and dangerous" diving in 12 feet of water. I think our max depth was 40 once when we needed to find good visibility for scooter shots. I filmed most of it underwater along with a second cameraman who wasn't part of the cast.

So as I suspected, these dive-drama shows are even more fake than I'd imagined, which is really saying something!

I saw one of the shows today. The divers we’re definitely flailing and the neutral buoyancy turtle would certainly not approve! I’m reminded of Cooper’s Treasure last year where they claimed to dive to 200’ and looked to have nothing more than a single steel. Regardless of the validity of his claim... idiots!

Oh Boy, Cooper's Treasure = monumental silliness/pseudo drama! Eagle-eyed astronaut spotting pieces-of-eight with his naked eye from low-earth orbit, or with his 1960's vintage metal-detecting orbital sensor....whatever!

A few points for consideration and rebuttal:

I grew up in the Cold War era. Loved watching 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E' and Mike Nelson. Times change. Now it is 'Big Brother' and 'House'. Totally can't bring myself to watch either, neither even comes close to bubblegum for the brain. Just plain stupid. But it drags today's watchers in and it pays bigtime. Ask Julie Chen. She started out as hard news and then sold out.

So, I contend that the current 'crisis' in attracting new scuba (S.C.U.B.A. --> Scuba --> scuba) divers is due to dereliction of duty of the collective scuba organizations. You don't advertise to the current potential base yet you complain about dwindling enrollment?

How about 'LOB WARS'? 3-5 boats, social drama on the surface (Babes and hunks woun't hurt) diving under. You got your 'dunk and repeat' boat, your 'tech wannabe' boat, your 'experience diving' boat, your eco boat, your....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom