Why are the divers on "Shark Week" so sloppy/crappy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re "Sharknado", for a few desperate moments there I thought they were about to invoke Sharknado..."we find ourselves in a maelstrom of pissed-off-man-eaters. Heavens to Betsy, what shall we do now?"

Last edited:
Crawled on....dragged across etc.... Its all there on ******* television.

Diving is like any other sport. You can be great, good, or crappy and still have a good time. Personally I don't care if divers I am with in the water can hover with the best, have the kind of trim shown in the how to do it videos, or can't frog kick worth a damn, etc., as long as they are having fun, not being dangerous, and not wrecking the landscape or harassing the wildlife. Not everyone wants to be, or can be, the Cristiano Rinaldo of the dive world, and that is OK.

Most of the personalities show, appear to be divers second, researcher/biologist/videographer/photographer/actor/thrilseeker/participant first. To take it a step further, good/great divers can still make bad/wrong decisions.

Agree. It's fun to watch until one sees coral get stepped on!
Agree. My observation is that reefs are 'entertainment' to an unfortunately large population of divers.

This is what is lacking in the popular media/mindset, where is Mike Nelson?

Agree. My observation is that reefs are 'entertainment' to an unfortunately large population of divers.
This is what is lacking in the popular media/mindset, where is Mike Nelson?

I'm still trying to perfect Mike's nonchalant double hose flick where the loop sails in an arc over his head landing perfectly in position :D

I’ve done a lot of videography and science missions as the captain and safety diver, and here is my observation.

Some folks become divers because they want to shoot underwater video. They are not divers, they are videographers who dive. Others are divers who find that they have a knack for video.

It all depends on what’s important to you, getting the shot or safe diving. See: Rob Stewart.
Agreed. We like the documentary series Coast. But everytime they do a scuba segment I cringe when I see the dangly's from the featured diver.

Watching last night, there was a segment where (if the narration is to believed), the diver was tagging a Great White outside a cage at 150' with what looked like an AL80 only. (Maybe extra air back in the cage -- not sure.) I'm not saying this to be critical since these folks are obviously better divers than I will ever be. It's just a little frustrating to hear no discussion of it though. Was it a decompression dive? Were these actually larger steel tanks? What was the dive plan? Of course, I guess the show is about sharks, not diving, so we never really hear those considerations.

... as long as they are having fun, not being dangerous, and not wrecking the landscape or harassing the wildlife.

Actually I don't give a fig if they are having fun as long as your other two points are met.

Not everyone wants to be, or can be, the Cristiano Rinaldo of the dive world, and that is OK.

Yep - but, oh how many will tell you they are. :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom