Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tables aren’t algorithms, they’re approximate guesses
I'd say the tables are the output of the algorithm to the specific scenario of a square dive for various depths. Using the 60 ft algorithm output (table entry) for a 57 ft dive is just being conservative.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Tables don’t kill but it got some attention. But, tables aren’t algorithms, they’re approximate guesses. Computers use the algorithm as intended. Mostly, people just don’t use them and never did. Why teach something no one will use when there is a far better system anyway. Schools don’t teach typewriters anymore but they still make them. For those that don’t know, the is a machine better than typewriters. It’s coincidentally called a computer,
“Tables don’t kill but it got some attention”
Huh?

“But, tables aren’t algorithms, they’re approximate guesses”
No actually tables are pretty darn accurate for their intended use. A hell of a lot of science went into developing them. Whether the times given at different depths are considered an algorithm I don’t know, I suppose it depends on which scientist you ask.

“Mostly people just don’t use them and never did”.
So nobody ever used tables before? Not even before computers? Huh??
Some people still do refer to them regularly.

“Why teach them when there is a far better system anyway”, well yes in today's world a lot of manual things have gone by the wayside. Computers have taken over so many things in life. But, some people still like to study the history of things and I suppose learning tables would be one of those things if somebody was interested.
Typewriters vs computers isn’t s good analogy, you’re still using a keyboard. Cursive handwriting and a computer keyboard would be more like it.
They don’t teach penmanship in schools anymore either.

Typewriters vs computers isn’t s good analogy, you’re still using a keyboard. Cursive handwriting and a computer keyboard would be more like it.

Everyone's thumb-typing on cellphones, computer keyboards are going the way of penmanship now.

Do you think children in grade school should not be taught basic arithmetic and just go straight to using calculators?
That's a false analogy.
  • Arithmetic is a vital basis for important mathematical skills learned later. Tables are unnecessary for any later learning.
  • People with calculators still need and use arithmetic on a regular basis. We make many mental arithmetic calculations every day. There is no need for tables once a diver has a dive computer.
  • Contrary to what many SB posters seem to think, you don't need to know how to use tables to understand how to use a computer.

That's a false analogy.
  • Arithmetic is a vital basis for important mathematical skills learned later. Tables are unnecessary for any later learning.
  • People with calculators still need and use arithmetic on a regular basis. We make many mental arithmetic calculations every day. There is no need for tables once a diver has a dive computer.
  • Contrary to what many SB posters seem to think, you don't need to know how to use tables to understand how to use a computer.
That's a false analogy.
It was a stand alone question to the poster I quoted. Basically a yes or no question. I wanted to know where the poster was coming from.
You’re reading too far into it and assuming my post means what you bullet pointed. It doesn’t.

It was a stand alone question to the poster I quoted. Basically a yes or no question. I wanted to know where the poster was coming from.
You’re reading too far into it and assuming my post means what you bullet pointed. It doesn’t.

What John is trying to politely point out is that your question is like "have you stopped beating your wife yet?" -- both "yes" and "no" are the wrong answer.

I suspect for the same reason school kids no longer use an abacus; it isn't required to understand the fundamental principles.

Still got mine tho :cool:

I suspect for the same reason school kids no longer use an abacus; it isn't required to understand the fundamental principles.

Still got mine tho :cool:
Still have your abacus? That’s impressive. Even I’m not that old.

Back
Top Bottom