Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This conversation has extended far beyond Basic. A new thread in Advanced will be created moving most, if not all of the recent posts.

We caution members again, to please pay attention to which subforum that they are posting within and which topic is being discussed and at what level the conversation should be held. Moderators will not always create new threads and you could be in danger of having your posts deleted entirely. Therefore, if you find yourself unable to resist responding with Advanced principals in a Basic thread, then you are best off to start your own thread in the correct/applicable subforum.

Hi
You say "You can easily go into deco (violate your NDLs) and not know it". ??? Don't you plan your dives?

Just back from a trip doing vacation dives. One buddy a tec diver and instructor. I can tell you that apart from doing a buddy check with me on gear she and I nor any DM or other divers not nothing more than plan the dive by being told the max depth for the dive ( more or less ) and don't go into deco. I think she was testing me on the dive as we had been at 25m depth and was at 15m with 5 mins NDL left at 55 minute point on the dive. I signaled going up shallower to join the other divers. Later n she did express thanks I wasn't doing light single tank deco dives even though we both had enough air to do so.

In fact on many dives I had 15 - 20 mins NDL showing but my DM's Sunnto on multiple dives over multiple days he had far less NDL on his DC.

I have not seen any recreational dives do a dive plan other than stated above in last decade.

Posts addressing Advanced concepts and potential deco have been moved to an existing thread on the same subject matter.

Posts addressing Advanced concepts and potential deco have been moved to an existing thread on the same subject matter.
I hope an explanation will be offered. The purpose of using a table is to avoid going into deco. Using a table in a way that is not intended can put you into deco. So are you saying that if we write about why such procedures should not be used when using a table, we are too advanced?

I hope an explanation will be offered. The purpose of using a table is to avoid going into deco. Using a table in a way that is not intended can put you into deco. So are you saying that if we write about why such procedures should not be used when using a table, we are too advanced?
That is really new but it must be an US centrism point of view.
I can assure you that using a table has nothing to do about avoiding deco.
I repeat it again but the world is wide :) :)

To repeat it again, it's the Basic forum :) :)
I understand that "basic" according to this forum is "avoiding deco" and I do respect that.
But 'basic" should not mean "ignorance of the reality".

I understand that "basic" according to this forum is "avoiding deco" and I do respect that.
But 'basic" should not mean "ignorance of the reality".
I do not think that is the case. My major objection here was the extensive discussion of using tables for multilevel dives, I think that discussion belonged elsewhere.

I do not think that is the case. My major objection here was the extensive discussion of using tables for multilevel dives, I think that discussion belonged elsewhere.
ok then. Thanks

My major objection here was the extensive discussion of using tables for multilevel dives, I think that discussion belonged elsewhere.
Is the contention that basic diving does not include multilevel dives?

My first dive trip after certification was to Cozumel. As I have related often on ScubaBoard, after the first DM-led dive there, I whipped out my tables and was stunned to find that the first dive had far exceeded the limits. The amusement of my fellow divers made it clear that my tables were worthless with multilevel diving. I got a computer as soon as the trip was over, and that remains the only time in my life I have ever seen anyone try to use those tables outside of training.

I wonder what would have happened if instead of being amused by my attempt, one of my fellow boaters had tried to show me how I could use those tables for multilevel dives. As a beginning diver with no knowledge beyond what I had been taught in that recent OW class, I might well have thought that what he was saying was legitmate and followed that advice.

I dived nowhere but Cozumel for my first couple years of diving, and then I was off on trips to Fiji and the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. I went back to Cozumel often. With the exception of one day on a reef in South Florida, pretty much all my first 100 dives after certification were multilevel, with no use of the tables I learned on possible.

Back
Top Bottom