Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would add that, IMO a recreational diver who only knows to obey their computer is about 99% as proficient as someone well steeped in dive theory. Sorry Scuba Gods/Nerds, its true.
Yes, I expect it is true that is your opinion. :D

Exactly, and I would say you can also use a computer as an aid to teach a deeper understanding of "dive theory."

IMO, there's nothing magical or beneficial about learning tables. As I sad before, I used tables for several years, but I didnt really gain any deeper understanding of dive theory. I just did the math and obeyed the numbers. With my computer I also mainly just obey the numbers.

And actually, since my computer has an adjustable GF, the computer has been the impetus for me to at least broach a little bit more beyond just obeying the numbers, to understand which GF setting would be best for me.

I would add that, IMO a recreational diver who only knows to obey their computer is about 99% as proficient as someone well steeped in dive theory. Sorry Scuba Gods/Nerds, its true.
You overlook the fact that a diver well steeped in dive theory is a better more righteous human being with exemplary personal qualities and consequently more deserving of divine favor than those who dwell in darkness.

Give me the text. I read fast and retain written information far better than I do verbal.
This is a good example of how different people learn differently.
I am the opposite, I retain information better verbally and face to face.
With online learning I have to read it and read it over again to grasp the subject, it was only a few years ago a light went on and I found out I have some form of Dyslexia.
A learning disorder that involves difficulty reading due to problems identifying speech sounds and learning how they relate to letters and words.
Don't worry I have passed every test with 'flying colours', I just learn differently, English, yes I speak it, but it is still a mystery to me.
Still can't spell.:rolleyes:

I completely agree that "A quality online program built by experts with a big budget, specialized software and lots of time" can be an excellent pedagogical instrument. These are, however, few and far between, especially where budgets are an issue and most especially where profit-making structures are concerned.
When I taught PADI OW courses, I started out teaching the shop's standard program which entailed the students using padi books, and tables.

PADI's "book" program requires that the instructor collect the books, check all the knowledge reviews, and then go back to the classroom to remediate every missed knowledge review. That's totally impractical, as the time it takes to do that in a class of 8-12 is measured in hours. Add in that the average retention rate on things you read is about 10% - so your students know basically nothing when they show up.

We addressed this by just teaching each knowledge review question and then having the students take the quiz. This solved the time suck of reviewing books etc.

At the end of day 2, we then taught the RDP. I eventually stopped teaching the RDP last (because students were burnt out after listening to 10 hours of lecture) and moved it to the beginning of class, when they were the freshest.

This meant that I was teaching the RDP (the hardest part for most students) to people who had basically no idea about anything. Not ideal.

In essence, I was teaching people to use the RDP when they had no clue how anything scuba really worked. I was just teaching to the test throughout the classroom portion of the course.

When the pandemic kicked off, the shop went to eLearning exclusively, and the results were frankly amazing. Students showed up with a thorough understanding of the course materials and I could actually use our classroom time to supplement their knowledge. I'll give PADI credit for the eLearning, it was far superior to "book" learning. They did a pretty damn good job at that.

SDI's eLearning isn't as slick or pretty, but the result is the same. Students are better prepared for class.

These days I can teach courses that don't focus on things like how far one can be from a dive flag, and focus on things like SAC rate calculations and gas planning.

I am the opposite, I retain information better verbally and face to face.
With online learning I have to read it and read it over again to grasp the subject, it was only a few years ago a light went on and I found out I have some form of Dyslexia.
A learning disorder that involves difficulty reading due to problems identifying speech sounds and learning how they relate to letters and words.
Don't worry I have passed every test with 'flying colours', I just learn differently, English, yes I speak it, but it is still a mystery to me.
Still can't spell.:rolleyes:
Why the downvote? I said the problem was training "that only provides the contents verbally".

Just like you process verbal better than text, I process text better than verbal. The optimal solution is to provide both.

Why the downvote?
Did not mean it as a "down vote", changed it.
Reasons why is in my post above.

Just like you process verbal better than text, I process text better than verbal. The optimal solution is to provide both.
Ok, got it.

The optimal solution is to provide both.
Not sure I agree. How about offering three versions of the eLearning: one for the person who likes pictures, one for the person who like verbal information, and one for the person who likes to read. I pick the one I prefer. If it doesn't work for me, I pick another one. That's still better than having ALL of them all together, so I'm forced to go at the slowest pace...not necessarily MY pace. And I can't skip through any material I'm already solid on. For example, some people get Boyles' Law very quickly, and can do the problem in their head. Others struggle.

Not sure I agree. How about offering three versions of the eLearning: one for the person who likes pictures, one for the person who like verbal information, and one for the person who likes to read.
Yikes.

A flashback: a college friend of mine -- obviously sadomasochistic and perhaps self-loathing -- decided to teach secondary school, "college-prep" English in East LA, near where he was raised; and was tasked by the local administration to teach A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, a meager book that should only take a long afternoon to complete.

Instead of passing out the usual Penguin Classics editions, he was given a few dogeared copies of the actual novel; a forty page "juvenile-retelling" in huge Scholastic Books font (oh, what the hell?) -- and, to top things off for a college prep class, even a Classics Illustrated edition of the story!

He enlisted in the Marines after only two years at the arse end of the Kali-fornia school system -- probably thought the Persian Gulf less challenging . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 3.20.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 3.20.55 PM.png
    390.4 KB · Views: 30
Yikes.

A flashback: a college friend of mine -- obviously sadomasochistic and maybe a dash of self-loathing in nature -- decided to teach secondary school, "college-prep" English in East LA, and he was tasked by the local administration to teach A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, a meager book that should only take a long afternoon to complete.
Sure. What high school student, even an ESL student which was likely given the neighborhood, could possibly have trouble with such an easy read? Here's paragraph 4.

France, less favoured on the whole as to matters spiritual than her sister of the shield and trident, rolled with exceeding smoothness down hill, making paper money and spending it. Under the guidance of her Christian pastors, she entertained herself, besides, with such humane achievements as sentencing a youth to have his hands cut off, his tongue torn out with pincers, and his body burned alive, because he had not kneeled down in the rain to do honour to a dirty procession of monks which passed within his view, at a distance of some fifty or sixty yards. It is likely enough that, rooted in the woods of France and Norway, there were growing trees, when that sufferer was put to death, already marked by the Woodman, Fate, to come down and be sawn into boards, to make a certain movable framework with a sack and a knife in it, terrible in history. It is likely enough that in the rough outhouses of some tillers of the heavy lands adjacent to Paris, there were sheltered from the weather that very day, rude carts, bespattered with rustic mire, snuffed about by pigs, and roosted in by poultry, which the Farmer, Death, had already set apart to be his tumbrils of the Revolution. But that Woodman and that Farmer, though they work unceasingly, work silently, and no one heard them as they went about with muffled tread: the rather, forasmuch as to entertain any suspicion that they were awake, was to be atheistical and traitorous.

My family has a little story about this book. My father was in the GE College Bowl quiz show (as part of the 1960 Rutgers team that won 5 straight matches). You could buzz in at any point while the question was being read. He buzzed in at "What famous English novel begins..." and correctly answered with this title.

Back
Top Bottom