Why are rebreathers so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually think it is good that they are priced the way they are because every time I go somewhere with mine somebody will see it that is a not a good diver and want one. They usually think it is really small doubles and ask me how long can I stay down with that and I tell them around 4 hours and they are blown away. They then think that they should get one and start their training tomorrow. Some people are just not meant to own rebreathers because they don't have the right mindset. The people with the wrong mindset in my opinion are the people who always wanna jump into something. I feel that the price keeps the divers who jump into decisions away from rebreathers.

Alex

'cause it was built on a government contract.

I really think that the idea of a small market creating a large price tag is far fetched.....the reason its such a small market is because of the price tag associated with it. If Megladons only cost $1500, they would sell like crazy.

Its not the technology either......i have more high tech algorithms in my Iphone. The differance is that I cant take my Iphone to 600fsw.

Maybe its just the MFG's trying to keepo the market limited so that newbs dont kill themselves in record numbers? Or trying to accumulate as much money as possible so they can pay their legal fees when the family of a diver sues them because their loved one took a hit? Not saying its right or wrong, and no i dont have a problem with Rebreathers or the people who dive them....just an observation.

because they are worth it

To keep the fatality rate down

Try product liability insurance costs in a very litigious environment. If memory serves me, 25% of the cost of a Draeger Dolphin was insurance.
Dale

Back
Top Bottom