Why are rebreathers so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the impression that (like most SCUBA gear) they are in principle pretty simple devices. What makes rebreathers so expensive? The materials? or is it more the research+development+patents around them?

Forgive my ignorance.

If you've got an O2 bottle and reg you could make a O2 rebreather for less than a couple hundred. As robibler said it's about components, every rebreather has at least one very specialized part that usually has to be made by that manufacturer, often several parts, at high costs. Then on top of all that divers don't buy something that looks like it was built in the plumbing section of home depot so I'd bet 20-30% of the cost is beautification of said rebreather and appendages.

When I returned home with my new $8.000 Megalodon my wife took a quick look at it and ask where the rest of it was. Overall they're very simple machine. I too find that most CCR/RB are over price until I jump in the water with one.

Cheers

Al

And let's not forget it's a small market, with constant technological improvements being implemented, with most manufacturers located in first world countries, and it all surely requires massive amounts of liability insurance.

This question reminds me of the old joke "Why are divorces so expensive?"

Because they're worth it! :D

Rainer made the point I intended to... small markets = higher per unit prices. Maybe I'll start educating myself on "plumbing."

Because they're worth it! :D

As I always say, I didn't get into diving in the first place to save money. I didn't get into tech diving to save money. I don't blend TMx to save money. If/when I go to RB it's not going to be price that will make the deciding factor.

To keep them out of the hands of noodles.

Back
Top Bottom