Why are rebreathers so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would imagine good bit of the costs is to cover the added liabilty insurance the manufacturer needs to carry.

I don't dive rebreathers, but have enjoyed reading about them. I dive regular scuba, on air. I also dive solo. So I keep it simple, and many times also dive vintage equipment I service myself. I also have been diving for over 50 years now.

But let me venture that all you say above is true, that insurance, supply and demand all factor into the expense. But something else does too, which has not been mentioned--product safety evaluation is also very important. Many of these systems use sophisticated computerized systems to sense oxygen levels, and add the inert ingredients (sometimes two of them, nitrogen and helium for instance). You would not want to use a system which had not been thoroughly tested, and this is a major expense.

When I bring an old double hose regulator back to life after forty years of non-use, I first take it to the pool to "qualify" it for open water. Sometimes, it doesn't make the grade, such as the DA Aqualung regulator which breaths hard enough that in a fast-moving river it could become quite a liability. At other times, I find a regulator works well both in the pool and the open water, such as the Mossback Mk III (a first stage modification for an U.S. Divers Company Aquamaster regulator).

When these rebreather manufacturers bring a new product to life, they are betting their company, and your life, that they have "qualified" this life safety apparatus to work under its design conditions every time it is used. This is why I won't even consider trying to design something like this myself. I don't have the expertise to design and test such a system. You need to understand this aspect of it too.

SeaRat

I see that I did a double entry, as I'll simply ask a question: Is the price the main consideration for you rebreather divers, or is it quality of the product?

SeaRat

Last edited:
CE testing 5 years ago was in the order of $10,000USD per day. Just a piece of the big picture.

I have the impression that (like most SCUBA gear) they are in principle pretty simple devices. What makes rebreathers so expensive? The materials? or is it more the research+development+patents around them?

• Keeping the manufacuturer in business on what is essentially a tiny slice of a niche market. There just isn't enough demand to keep the volume at reasonable levels.
  • Insurance, so that when someone removes themselves from the gene-pool by improperly using or maintaining what is essentially a portable, underwater anesthesia machine, the company won't go bankrupt when the survivors sue.
  • Marketing
  • Paying those pesky employees that want to eat nearly every day.
flots.

I would be sporting one in a heartbeat if it weren't for:

TSA and baggage fees
Ability to get fills/sorb in the Caribbean
My wife beating me into the ground when she sees the credit card statement

To keep them out of the hands of noodles.

I dunno . . . I've seen plenty of noodles in my time with way more money than brains. Come to think of it, "someone with more money than brains" might just be my definition of a "noodle."

Back
Top Bottom