DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya know it’s funny, everyone loves to bash on GUE here on SB, but I’ve yet to encounter folks who take what GI3 was saying (in the 90’s) and critically think about why he was saying it in the first place, right or wrong.

Hate on GUE all you want—but it would be hard to say GUE didn’t raise concerns from deep air to a balanced rig that did not fundamentally change the way we all dive. I guess that’s my 0.02 considering I’ve been a GUE member since 2013—so sure, I’m biased. Nevertheless, I drank the Koolaid and never looked back. I’m a proud GUE diver and community leader. I won’t apologize for that.

The term "Doing it Right" was created well before Jarrod wrote that book. George Irvine III used the phrase in an interview about WKPP diving practices. That was before GUE existed. The phrase stuck with WKPP, which included Jarrod. Jarrod used it later when he created GUE, and he used it when he created Halcyon.

A training director for both WKPP (I think) and GUE was Andrew Georgitsis. After GUE fired him, he worked for NAUI Tech for a while, bringing the ideas and term there, although NAUI did not formally adopt the term. Then he founded UTD, which still uses the term DIR. (GUE, BTW, does not.) Current UTD practices do not align with GUE's or with earlier version of DIR, but they still call it DIR. There are some significant differences.

Another agency, Innerspace Explorers (ISE) also uses the term DIR. I do not know how well their version of DIR matches GUE practices.
I had no idea you knew so much about GUE’s history and current operation. Today I learned, thanks John.

I had no idea you knew so much about GUE’s history and current operation. Today I learned, thanks John.
I was a UTD-DIR diver for years. It was impossible not to know this stuff.

@boulderjohn Very cool. I hear UTD was more of a west coast thing? I’m an East Coast guy so FL was my haven until the Midwest.

@tursiops I’m sorry, what? Can you tell us more about how not all DIR is GUE? I’m a little confused. I assume DIR and GUE are the same, considering the founder of GUE also founded the term “Doing it Right.” Sure, I guess some agencies like UTD and ISE have copied it (sort of), but I’m a little confused with your reply.
Rec 3. Rebreathers without a BOV. Non standardized SM kit and methods.

Small things also fly in GUE classes that aren’t DIR. Regs without removable faceplates, miflex hoses, shoulder straps, some backup light choices. Heck, some primary light choices. Cinch plates. Big deal stuff? Idk probs not. DIR? No.

When was the last time you checked your BOV was working while diving below 330 feet?
Why wouldn’t it work…

10/85 gas density is pretty low even at 330ft. 3.9g/l for the interested reader. 5.2g/l is a recommended max with a hard stop at 6.2g/l.

I don’t run through any of my regs at depth when I’m on the rebreather… do you? Oh wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom