DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, the GUE promise is ruined by the attitude of abusive instructors. They see training as more of an audition and an opportunity to demonstrate their superiority, rather than an opportunity to train eager students willing and wanting to learn.
Does this still go on today, in your opinion? I have been under the impression that the instructors who acted that way are gone, and the Quality Control measures have had a positive effect on today's instructor corps. All I can say is that I have not felt that way about the instructors I have worked with.

I didn't even begin to read this entire 72 page thread... Just one simple yes or no question. Does GUE 100% support and condone SOLO diving?

No. If you're looking for an agency to train you to dive solo, you should be looking elsewhere.

Don't need anyone to train me to dive SOLO. I am already experienced and trained.

So I Guess the better question would be........ Does GUI disavow or otherwise condemn any of their "certified" GUE divers who may choose on their own to dive SOLO? Or.... does an individuals right to choose to dive SOLO disqualify them from the GUI Klan?

Coming from a background in Naval Aviation, where everything is standardized for safety, the GUE philosophy caught my attention.

Unfortunately, the GUE promise is ruined by the attitude of abusive instructors. They see training as more of an audition and an opportunity to demonstrate their superiority, rather than an opportunity to train eager students willing and wanting to learn.

Too bad, GUE has a great theoretical philosophy, but it will never be mainstream until they replace their instructors with decent human beings.
Your bad experience was fifteen years ago, no? From an instructor you admit you’ve often forgot the name of?

Don't need anyone to train me to dive SOLO. I am already experienced and trained.

So I Guess the better question would be........ Does GUI disavow or otherwise condemn any of their "certified" GUE divers who may choose on their own to dive SOLO? Or.... does an individuals right to choose to dive SOLO disqualify them from the GUI Klan?
Huh? It's a scuba agency. Any cliques are formed from like minded individuals who actually know and dive together. I'm sure there are IANTD cliques, TDI cliques, SSI ones, NAUI cliques, etc. They generally tend to congregate around a particular instructor or shop. If you are doing your own thing and thumbing your nose at the locals who are supposedly like minded as you - then you're not really like minded are you? So I wouldnt be surprised if they pass at diving with you.

I'm sure there are IANTD cliques, TDI cliques, SSI ones, NAUI cliques, etc.
You’ll struggle to find them as there’s no cult surrounding those agencies.

Just take "that" rebreather for example, the one which merely asking questions about "why" attracts derision as "you can’t possibly understand as you’re not trained and committed to the system".

You’ll struggle to find them as there’s no cult surrounding those agencies.

Just take "that" rebreather for example, the one which merely asking questions about "why" attracts derision as "you can’t possibly understand as you’re not trained and committed to the system".
Apparently you don't get out much. I won't rattle them off here, but there are non-JJ CCRs and non-GUE instructors that have WAYYYY more of a cult following than GUE of the 2020s+ could ever aspire to.

Around the instructors maybe, but not the agencies. TDI, IANTD, who cares?

Your bad experience was fifteen years ago, no? From an instructor you admit you’ve often forgot the name of?
His name is Dean Marshall, and there were a couple of other GUE instructors, too, but I don't remember their names.

GUE has never responded to my original complaint letter. Nothing. Nada. When GUE sends me any kind of response, and a check for $3,000 for all the airline tickets, hotel rooms, and car rentals that I spent going to GUE classes, then I'll consider the matter closed.

Oh yeah, and another check for the $1,200 that was stolen from me by a GUE instructor during a class.

Does this still go on today, in your opinion?
Why would I ever take another GUE class ever again? I don't want to be around people like that. I prefer to surround myself with good people. I went back to GUE classes again and again, and I've had enough of those people.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom