DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have nothing to do at 75m that would take 45 minutes. I'm not into sight seeing.
So why are you diving then? Little bounce dive to 70m for 5 min?

We do sight seeing (as every diver does), from time to time documentation, netcleaning in ghostfishing context, 3D photogrammetry, even archeological research. Actually this project work really is where GUE shines ;-) but unfortunately you need time on the wreck (and often multiple dives) to do this.

To each their own of course, but I'm not jumping in the water for 15 min bottom time, no matter how shallow or deep the wreck or cave is.

So why are you diving then? Little bounce dive to 70m for 5 min?

We do sight seeing (as every diver does), from time to time documentation, netcleaning in ghostfishing context, 3D photogrammetry, even archeological research. Actually this project work really is where GUE shines ;-) but unfortunately you need time on the wreck (and often multiple dives) to do this.

To each their own of course, but I'm not jumping in the water for 15 min bottom time, no matter how shallow or deep the wreck or cave is.
I lifted a starboard lamp off a wreck in 67m 2 weeks ago but got it done in 20 minutes, what I'm saying is why talk dives up, what did you do in 75m for 45 minutes. What is the reason for the dive and why was it made. Why throw figures at someone like it's some kind of contest.

I lifted a starboard lamp off a wreck in 67m 2 weeks ago but got it done in 20 minutes, what I'm saying is why talk dives up, what did you do in 75m for 45 minutes. What is the reason for the dive and why was it made. Why throw figures at someone like it's some kind of contest.
I picked that as a long but not extraordinary dive to see what wobble brings with him for BO.

As for what I’d bring I have I only know the book answers this is all theoretical for me but doing the math the D7 makes a lot of sense

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
After 68 pages of replies, did you get your answer? :)

I picked that as a long but not extraordinary dive to see what wobble brings with him for BO.

As for what I’d bring I have I only know the book answers this is all theoretical for me but doing the math the D7 makes a lot of sense

Which is why you chose 45mins at 75m? This well into the MOD3 territory in terms of planning with lots of bailout gasses and cylinders, probably four separate gasses. It's also something like 3hours 30mins on the rebreather -- most dive boats wouldn't like you for that.

You should know that 30mins at 75m is a lot more simple to plan as a 2ish hour dive. It's do-able on two bailout cylinders with the deco gas as the limiting factor. Much more of a MOD2 dive.

Not sure where this "test" has got us. I've dived the 30 minute profile. I really have no desire to jump in with the ballache of four stage cylinders required for the 45 minute MOD3 dive. To hell with the extra 15 mins on the wreck just to win an extra hour bored and shivering at decompression. Long deep dives are mainly boring.

What about you? What level do you dive at? Can you shed some light on how GUE's planning would work for those profiles?

Why? First of all these are not extreme dives (runtime 3 hours, 2 hours and a bit of deco), which I've done as well on OC in the past, so enough OC experience to manage a bail out scenario.

A 2nd rebreather really adds complexity. OC you know works when you need it, 2nd rebreather not so much. Yes there is a place for a 2nd rebreather, but I'm not doing the kind of dives where it's needed.
Oh sure a 2nd rebreather does add A LOT of complexity and takes a lot of training, far more than with OC bailout. When I look at this picture posted earlier:
1660324543435.png

I'd rather have a backup rebreather. And if you don't know if your backup rebreather works, you are doing something really wrong.

I will be doing some expeditions in the future where it has some huge advantages for bailout. But baby steps. First need to master CCR with air dil! I'm going super conservative on my progression there.

Aren't we all just sight seeing tourists underwater? We are not doing it professionally?
You're a GUE guy, right? Well, I'd argue for you guys, you are going to be doing more and more projects assisting archaeologists, marine scientists, and other researchers, which in my opinion qualify as professional dives. You may be volunteers, but fulfilling a role that academia cannot afford the time and money to train people to dive at your levels. With the new GUE course for doing this kind of work with fairly stringent requirements for taking, GUE HQ is setting itself up for working on a number of projects in a support role. At least in Europe that is definitely the case.

It's not a real dive, no one is going to go down a rope to 75m and simply stay there for 45 minutes. Dives have goals and are planned as such by groups of divers. With known wrecks or sites, information is gathered from others as to the site conditions or wreck layout and when is the best time to make a dive in order to hit the wreck when vis and bottom conditions are most favorable. The group can then decide what they wish to see or do and estimate how much time may be needed to complete the dive. For unknown wrecks or sites all that goes out the window and even with good surface sonar it could need a number of survey dives to get a feel for the wreck layout. Hypothetical dive times and depths are a pointless exercise unless just for fun with dive software. So putting a diver on the spot on a forum by asking how they would carry out a dive with just depth and time to go on is silly.

Heya Mac, I know that you weren't talking about me but just to be sure ;-) I don't throw numbers around, unless it's valid in a certain context. I don't have a big ego, because I understand that I'm a small fish ;-) All I'm saying is that I have the training and experience to do longer dives. So why not.

I didn't throw figures around, but I've done a couple of dives in that range (among them the ones from the pics) in the last month. We dived a Italian (converted by the Germans) Corvette. Goals for the 2 dives on the wreck (both about 45 min bottom time) were have a look at the condition (not dived much) and see if we could find anything special (which we did, we found porcelain dinner plates with the regia marina emblem on the back), the compass and compass housing, depth charges, loads of ammunition, etc. 2nd dive we took was to document what we found and take pictures, and clean the nets from the main front 10cm gun so we could take pictures there. Only pictures, because it's a war grave (90+ men died on the wreck).

15, 20 minutes of bottom time is just not enough for our purposes. Simple.

Heya Mac, I know that you weren't talking about me but just to be sure ;-) I don't throw numbers around, unless it's valid in a certain context. I don't have a big ego, because I understand that I'm a small fish ;-) All I'm saying is that I have the training and experience to do longer dives. So why not.

I didn't throw figures around, but I've done a couple of dives in that range (among them the ones from the pics) in the last month. We dived a Italian (converted by the Germans) Corvette. Goals for the 2 dives on the wreck (both about 45 min bottom time) were have a look at the condition (not dived much) and see if we could find anything special (which we did, we found porcelain dinner plates with the regia marina emblem on the back), the compass and compass housing, depth charges, loads of ammunition, etc. 2nd dive we took was to document what we found and take pictures, and clean the nets from the main front 10cm gun so we could take pictures there. Only pictures, because it's a war grave (90+ men died on the wreck).

15, 20 minutes of bottom time is just not enough for our purposes. Simple.
Thank you, I'm genuinely interested in what real dives people are making and have no wish to get into arguments with fellow divers. I fully understand how I dive is a thing of the past and marvellous work is been done by others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom