DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I like the GUE setup for wreckdiving... not so much for cave diving.

- I'm using 2x 8,5L tanks, and typically at the beginning of a week of wreckdiving they'll be filled to 250+bar. That's on the inital dives almost 2 80cft tanks on your back, readily available.
- The long hose setup is obviously a compromise for mixed team diving. Yes in a full rebreather team you could have scenarios where you would need to share bottom bail out (the one we have on our back), but that would mean 2 failures (both rebreather and the bailout failing).
- I'm diving with the diluent/bailout on the back AND 2x 3L tanks on the back, 1 is oxygen, the other is argon (air) that connects to my wing and drysuit (yes I keep the regular hoses and I have hoses on all my bailout tanks so I can easily switch if this 1 failure punt fails). The positive about this is that I use 5 to 10 bars of the backgas/diluent per deep dive. So after 6 days of diving I'm still at more or less 200 bars. Of course it's heavy, but compared to a D18L it's still on the light side.
- Bailouts are not shared. Up to 75m (depends a bit on the bottom time) we typically would use a 50% and an O2, and sometimes an intermediate deco gas (36m or 57m). So that's typically 2 decostages (sometimes 3) for dives up to 75m en 50' bottom time.
- Why is it convenient for wreckdiving. I'm carrying 2 less stages than my buddy who's diving the JJ in traditional style. Specifically when there is current it's easier if you can jump in more or less with all the stuff you need vs having to scooter/swim back to pick up additional stages. The same deal with handling yourself on a rolling boat, 2 extra stages makes the equipment stress a bit heavier. (yes there are work arounds, etc... ). Next I don't typically drop stages on wreck dives (unless really tight penetration). So having 2 less stages to work with is convenient. In caves these advantages don't play, equipment stress is less of an issue, you also drop your stages.

So while my buddy is carrying 4 stages (in the traditional jj setup, and yes he's a fully blown GUE diver)

View attachment 737638

I'll be carrying as stages, just 2.

View attachment 737639

On deep deep dives team bailout becomes somewhat of a thing. Meaning the main bailout is always per person, but the intermediate deco gasses might be shared within a team. So the full team would carry a 100%, a 50% and deep bailout, but for example the intermediate deco gasses could be shared (1 carrying a 57m gas and the other a 36m gas, which then can be handed over to the team mate in trouble). But the basics remain the same every individual member should be able to do his full ascend with the gasses he's carrying. Of course in a real world scenario if someone gets a CO2 hit, for sure we'll be handing over tanks to the victim, but it's not plan A, more plan B.
When I look at the bailout on these extreme dives with rebreathers, I'm thinking backup rebreather.

How about 50m for 30min
As in my recent enforced bailout from that exact profile? 18/35 & 60% and had at least 2/3rds of the gas left over — HP 7 litre cylinders. SAC wasn’t too shabby either.

As in my recent enforced bailout from that exact profile? 18/35 & 60% and had at least 2/3rds of the gas left over — HP 7 litre cylinders. SAC wasn’t too shabby either.
So you had 2x 7l of 18/35 and an 11L of 60%?

So you had 2x 7l of 18/35 and an 11L of 60%?
Two 7 litre 232 bar aluminium bailout cylinders — think they’re called "HP" in American. One with 18/35, the other with 60%. Obviously these are sidemounted, lean left rich right, using bungees for streamlining so they don’t catch on the wreck when in confined spaces.

Two 7 litre 232 bar aluminium bailout cylinders — think they’re called "HP" in American. One with 18/35, the other with 60%. Obviously these are sidemounted, lean left rich right, using bungees for streamlining so they don’t catch on the wreck when in confined spaces.
Oh, @Wibble, @Wibble, @Wibble ,

Oh my dear pommie friend (I lived in Oz briefly). Don't you know it is not spelled "American", but rather "'Murikan! F yeah!". The "F yeah!" is key.

You're welcome.

Give it a break, this agency or that agency there all sight seeing tourists that love to talk it up, the more gear there carrying the better. A load of crap.

When I look at the bailout on these extreme dives with rebreathers, I'm thinking backup rebreather.
Why? First of all these are not extreme dives (runtime 3 hours, 2 hours and a bit of deco), which I've done as well on OC in the past, so enough OC experience to manage a bail out scenario.

A 2nd rebreather really adds complexity. OC you know works when you need it, 2nd rebreather not so much. Yes there is a place for a 2nd rebreather, but I'm not doing the kind of dives where it's needed.

Give it a break, this agency or that agency there all sight seeing tourists that love to talk it up, the more gear there carrying the better. A load of crap.
Aren't we all just sight seeing tourists underwater? We are not doing it professionally?

Regarding gear, I like to carry the least amount of gear possible (reduce gear handling complexity) but for certain dives you basically need gear. Not sure how you would plan a 75m, 45' bottom time dive with a 15L ;-)

Do you plan your dives. What would you bring on a 45 minute dive to 75m?
Go on then, give us a clue. What gas would you bring as bailout for a 45min dive to 75m/250ft?

Ignore CO2 hit. But must carry your own gas for a normal bailout should the rebreather fail.

Aren't we all just sight seeing tourists underwater? We are not doing it professionally?

Regarding gear, I like to carry the least amount of gear possible (reduce gear handling complexity) but for certain dives you basically need gear. Not sure how you would plan a 75m, 45' bottom time dive with a 15L ;-)
I have nothing to do at 75m that would take 45 minutes. I'm not into sight seeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom