DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you allowed to spear fish on scuba over there?

Sweet boat you got there.
Yes you can spearfish here on scuba - although most of Puget Sound is pretty lame, closed season or polluted (or all three). The better fishing is west of Port Angeles or on the outer coast but crazy seasonal weatherwise.

Sounds like a solid and genuine offer. Thank-you! Also, maybe we can do some boat dives. I'm currently planning to have our boat in the water in moorage at Everett from May through Oct. My boat is comfortable for four divers and I have a fully robust emergency 02 system. I'm not commercial and can't take any payment.
Cool! Thanks for the offer -- we should see if we can make it happen.

kaz0Fo3.jpg

Just so you'll know upfront...... In the Sound, me and my buddy (who is a GUE Fundies grad) pretty much dive solo and focus our Sound dive sites on Ling Cod for the last week of May and the first two weeks of June. Then we move out to the Neah Bay or Sequim area for the fall where the limits and restrictions are more "friendly" . Just want to be upfront that we are carnivores and prefer to not have Costco do our killing for us. Diving allows us to be merciful and selective. We focus on male Lings in the 10 - 20lb range and always leave the big female breeders alone. We also focus on rock and pectin scallops...and the occasional Cabezons and Green lings.

That sounds like an awesome annual plan. I know several of our divers that spearfish regularly, but I have never done it myself.

Not at all meant to be controversial....... but does GUE have any issues with scuba diving carnivores harvesting their own protein? If so, then we wouldn't be a good fit.

Lol, no not at all. Many of our regular club dives are crabbing at Edgewater Beach Park in Mukilteo during crab season.

but does GUE have any issues with scuba diving carnivores harvesting their own protein? If so, then we wouldn't be a good fit.
bbq_vegan.jpg

Dave and Johnny are definitely GUE divers,

+1 "LOL" to the anti-spearfishing question. But I get it that you might have heard one of GUE's three facets is "Conservation," the other two being "Education" and "Exploration." Local GUE communities are known to engage in projects from time to time, and a popular one is the removal of ghost nets. I would much rather spear my fish selectively than see industrial-scale net fishing ravage the oceans.

As one of the organizers of the GUE Seattle weekly Wednesday Night dives, I would welcome @NW Dive Dawg (or anyone else interested in seeing how GUE does things) to come down and join us for a dive. Feel free to DM me for when and where to meet (or check the GUE Seattle Facebook group if you visit the House of Zuckerberg.)
It is great you have an active community in Seattle. Shame there isn't one near me.

But I get it that you might have heard one of GUE's three facets is "Conservation," the other two being "Education" and "Exploration."
I don't wanna start anything again, honestly. But you guys gotta admit that promoting traveling all over the world to do fun dives (which is what I do too) is not what you can call 'conservation' in any way shape or form. Especially not when you travel to and support a redonkulously huge pool in Dubai's desert. Can we not agree that that part it marketing BS? Pulling a net here and there is bit of a fig leaf, no?

Spearfishing is probably the best way to fish unless you go for stuff like large groupers and stuff that doesn't make enough babies to keep the population stable.

I don't wanna start anything again, honestly. But you guys gotta admit that promoting traveling all over the world to do fun dives (which is what I do too) is not what you can call 'conservation' in any way shape or form. Especially not when you travel to and support a redonkulously huge pool in Dubai's desert. Can we not agree that that part it marketing BS? Pulling a net here and there is bit of a fig leaf, no?

Spearfishing is probably the best way to fish unless you go for stuff like large groupers and stuff that doesn't make enough babies to keep the population stable.
building a massive pool in dubai is absolutely gross.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom